Windows 10 Privacy - Everything You Need to Know

HardOCP News

[H] News
Hardware Secrets has posted an article today about everything you need to know about Windows 10 privacy.

Windows 10 has received a lot of criticism for collecting personal information. Rumor has it that Microsoft is copying user’s files and information. These rumors have no basis. Microsoft is collecting basic data which they call telemetry from machines running Windows 10. This collection of data is not new. Microsoft has been collecting data and sending it home in every operating system since, and including Windows XP.

This collection of data is not new. Microsoft has been collecting data and sending it home in every operating system since, and including Windows XP.

And as the article goes on to say, 10 collects far more information by default. I'm pretty sure that using XP didn't opt me in to a Microsoft keylogger program.

Practically a copy and paste of this ZDNet article that had an [H] post earlier: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1880848

Microsoft is getting desperate to turn this around, the privacy concerns have blown up in their face. The whole 'only an idiot would worry about privacy nowadays!' argument just pissed people off even more. The new 'it's just more telemetry!' line is still insulting to users.

There's absolutely no reason for a desktop user to use Windows 10. Do not use this product.

Cross link this story with the recent consumerist article about the spying and ad-serving going on with the new super-snooping Vizio TVs.

I'm pretty sure that using Windows 10 doesn't opt you into a Microsoft keylogger program.

And everyone should just take your not totally sure, not a little sure, but pretty sure for granted?

An OS is not a religion one takes up, I don't want to believe in Windows 10, I want it to be reassured by hard fact. That's never happened so far, and all this smudging going on by MS just shows that they do have something to hide, and they do have an agenda. And it's not to "learn about every crash".

Its easy to build our own database of websites that sold out.

It's a good OS if you disable the internet connectivity.

I'm pretty sure that using Windows 10 doesn't opt you into a Microsoft keylogger program.

Yes, it does. Autocorrect is one. Second is the one that takes input from the keyboard and processes it to display characters on the screen. Most modern OS's use the second one pretty frequently. It's a great feature. :D

I'm using it and it's great.

As am I and millions of others. But, fuck Micro$haft, right?

And everyone should just take your not totally sure, not a little sure, but pretty sure for granted?

An OS is not a religion one takes up, I don't want to believe in Windows 10, I want it to be reassured by hard fact. That's never happened so far, and all this smudging going on by MS just shows that they do have something to hide, and they do have an agenda. And it's not to "learn about every crash".

His statement was a take on the others posters comments. Leave it to you to take it totally out of context to fit it within your own narrative. :rolleyes:

No doubt you have proof to the contrary then?

No doubt you have proof to the affirmative? At any rate, this article was about the privacy settings in Windows 10 which is beyond obvious that many more complain about that actually understand. I've said many times that it is beyond obvious that Windows 10 with the privacy settings on, which mean that it's collecting and doing what the settings say, is collecting and leveraging a ton of personal data.

My new Windows 10 "privacy" demo as I like to call it, is to show how with little intervention on my part but pointing out that I log in with a Microsoft account that has access to my Outlook and Gmail contacts, that sending text messages by name with voice is in the OS now. Just like a phone. Everyone that I've shown that too thinks it pretty cool. I think it's only supported now using a Windows Phone but I think it will work with iPhones and Android once their Cortana apps go production. And that type of integration is only going to get bigger.

I know that this isn't the stuff that PCs were built on, who the hell was sending text messages in the early years when Windows was dominate and no one knew what a text message was. Much of the problem here is that Windows is incorporating stuff by default that didn't even exist when Windows became a household name.

Maybe this is the wrong call. But the right call isn't this idea of adding all of this wonderful desktop utility, not for this average IT consumer of this generation. Aero glass means nothing to them.

Who asked you.

click'
This isnt the thread you were looking for :p

Unbelievably (almost), Heatlesssun tried to stop me posting against his constant trolling.
These are the pms we just had.

Nenu said:
heatlesssun said:
Ok, tried to be nice about it.

Nenu said:
heatlesssun said:
You're the one with the problem. You can sort it out just fine by putting me on ignore. There's no point in putting your personal issues into everything I respond to if you don't want to hear what I have to say.

Nenu said:
heatlesssun said:
Just put me on ignore and spare everyone the teenage nonsense.
lol.
If you knew how to leave well alone there wouldnt be a problem.
Sort yourself out.

Your problem.
Seeya,
You really believe that as well.
I'm not into curing delusional.

Regardless of what I think I was pointing out a feature in Windows 10 that people seem to like that leverages a lot of personal data. If you think that having a conversation on the level a preschooler helps anyone dealing with complex and powerful features then I think you're the one in the wrong thread. Much has been said of privacy in Windows 10 around here. Few seem to have a clue about the functionality the data leverage provides.

Criticizing something as a matter of routine without having any concept of what's going on ultimately is a disservice to the critic.

Perhaps you can disseminate exactly what is going on?

Perhaps you can disseminate exactly what is going on?

It may be too late regardless. They were never able to recover Vista's reputation even though it turned out to be a damn good OS by SP1.

Personally, I don't care what they claim to be doing. We can't identify what data is actually sent, it can't be completely disabled, and the EULA states that by using the product you consent to collection of everything. That's not acceptable.

I would have been perfectly fine with paying a subscription for a Windows 7 v2 type of product. The desktop OS is done, it just needs occasional upgrades and security updates. Microsoft should be focusing on a new OS aimed at mobile and hybrid devices rather than trying to do everything with Windows.

Personally, I don't care what they claim to be doing. We can't identify what data is actually sent, it can't be completely disabled, and the EULA states that by using the product you consent to collection of everything. That's not acceptable.

Something I've mentioned before and I don't think some people really get what I've said. We can talk about how PCs aren't phones and such but there have been some commercials from Google, Apple and Amazon advertising Google Now, Siri and ETo cho that use voice control. What I've been telling people in regards to Windows 10's privacy, and no one even around here said what I did was technically incorrect, is that be default Windows 10 treats privacy like these things do. If you well Google Now or Siri to call home without doing anything on the device at the time to do that, there has to be a lot of data collection, sharing and leveraging going on. And I ask people does it concern them and do they remember consenting to it.

To date I've yet to see one person out of a dozen even care because they have phones that already do all the same stuff. Only in the context where someone makes a distinction between a PC not being a phone have I seen anyone care.

And before I get called a shill just think about that for a moment. The devices that everyone carries with them all the time is doing the same things as Windows 10 does, the device that they AREN'T carrying with them 24x7. I understand that for business settings it is a problem, which is why there's options to turn it all off there. For consumers, they're already giving it up and like the features.

As far as I know though, the only thing that can't be turned off in Windows 10 is the basic telemetry. We know that it collects hardware and software configurations and crash reports from Microsoft itself and there's no debate on that. But then all of the other conspiracy theories follow, freak people out and just to be sure they'd better use their phones to be safe.

Again, for some reason, people that are stuck on just don't get the ship has sailed for the average person. They do not care because they should have by now. And for all of those demanding every data point collected from Microsoft, where's every data point collected by Apple and Google? They are both more valuable tech companies used by far more people with the PC of today, the smartphone.

Defining this issue in terms of Windows 10 and desktop operating systems is pointless from the average users perspective. They're already giving up this data. And mobile devices are already used in enterprises in larger volumes that Windows. That champions of privacy are too little too late. They should have been more concerned about it instead of sticking to Microsoft and Windows and how Android is the new Windows or how profitable Macs were. This stuff is in billions of people's lives everyday and they aren't going to install desktop Linux just to escape something they love from their phones.

Microsoft listened this time. Some refuse to even listen to the devices they use all the time for some reason.

@Steve why are you pushing this propaganda?

Not sure what propaganda you're referring to, but I found the article useful in pointing out what are the privacy/feedback options available in Win 10. It's useful for anyone who wishes to turn off these feedback options, something I always do when I install an application.

Not sure which is worse, the Windows haters or the Apple haters. oh, wait, it's the same people most of the time. :rolleyes:

Seems like to some people if you don't have some sort of Linux build and use TOR to connect to the web your nothing but a pawn of the New World Order (corporate version)

I don't plan on losing any sleep over Windows ten data collection.

Unbelievably (almost), Heatlesssun tried to stop me posting against his constant trolling.

Totally screenshot worthy! :D

But I would miss him if he decided to become sensible. Then there'd be one less person really, really interested in brand loyalty favoring a single company and that would make this CreepyUncleGoogle a sad panda.

I sit and read through this forum and sometimes I have to remind myself it's not just 14 year old kids posting here.

Totally screenshot worthy! :D

But I would miss him if he decided to become sensible. Then there'd be one less person really, really interested in brand loyalty favoring a single company and that would make this CreepyUncleGoogle a sad panda.

What is incredible about him is...

He wasnt in this thread, he joined it by replying to my post.
I am not interested in what he thinks so explained that.
Then he starts pming because "he" doesnt like MS being exposed for what they are doing, and doesnt like me taking a personal stance against it.
Oh the humanity lol.

ITT, people have made up their minds and facts be damned. Apparently Windows is a budding new religion.

...To date I've yet to see one person out of a dozen even care because they have phones that already do all the same stuff. Only in the context where someone makes a distinction between a PC not being a phone have I seen anyone care.

And before I get called a shill just think about that for a moment. The devices that everyone carries with them all the time is doing the same things as Windows 10 does, the device that they AREN'T carrying with them 24x7. I understand that for business settings it is a problem, which is why there's options to turn it all off there. For consumers, they're already giving it up and like the features.

Your argument falls flat on their face with me as I don't have a cell phone (for the reasons you point out) and I prefer an OS that lets me interact with my hardware/software and the web, all without logging everything I do.

Windows 10 looks like crap, just like Win 8 does but more NSA'y. Linux FTW!

SO MUCH FOR PRIVACY.

I mean really, if you can't be trusted to keep a PRIVATE MESSAGE private well then I don't know what to tell you. (I'd use the stupid rolling eyes emoticon but I said I'd never do that because it's lame and stupid, so whatever).

SO MUCH FOR PRIVACY.

I mean really, if you can't be trusted to keep a PRIVATE MESSAGE private well then I don't know what to tell you. (I'd use the stupid rolling eyes emoticon but I said I'd never do that because it's lame and stupid, so whatever).
What trust was there, none was implied. I dont trust him one bit, he is a troll.
If you dont want your dirty words aired, keep them to yourself.

Consider that he pm'd me for not ignoring his post (despite laughingly telling him I was ignoring his post).
Yet it was him that replied to my post in the first place, he wasnt even in this thread until then.
I dont value his opinion at all and do not want to discuss anything via pm with him.
When he gave an implied threat, I wanted others should see what he is capable of.
Its sod all to do with you.

And as the article goes on to say, 10 collects far more information by default. I'm pretty sure that using XP didn't opt me in to a Microsoft keylogger program.

Microsoft is getting desperate to turn this around, the privacy concerns have blown up in their face. The whole 'only an idiot would worry about privacy nowadays!' argument just pissed people off even more. The new 'it's just more telemetry!' line is still insulting to users.

There's absolutely no reason for a desktop user to use Windows 10. Do not use this product.

But plenty of people use Google. Why should they suddenly start caring about privacy now?

Ladies and gentleman, say hello to Eric Schmidt who just can't seem to get a handle on the whole privacy situation. Welcome to the [H]ardForum, Eric. ;)

Google mines data and then sells it for moolahs. No one forced heatless to make unsolicited PMs to other people and I don't think anyone is making any money by sharing them -- though it would be awesome if you could sell PMs for cash. Besides, it's not like it was a PM that contained a declaration of undying love or something that was somehow compromising.

Ladies and gentleman, say hello to Eric Schmidt who just can't seem to get a handle on the whole privacy situation. Welcome to the [H]ardForum, Eric. ;)

Lol. :D You are absolutely correct on that one there. Nenu, no one cares about what you consider important here anymore than anyone else. Perhaps getting over yourself is in order? Oh, should I have PMed you instead? :D

Also, do you have proof of keylogging and other claims being made here? I am still waiting on proof.

PMs are the place to take personal stuff.

Not for Mork from Ork, it isn't. :) Get it? Nenu, nenu, shazbat. :D Ok, I am just kidding anyways, sometimes, having a little fun to release the tension is a good thing. Oh, maybe Microsoft is keylogging this since I am using Firefox on Windows 10 Pro with nothing disabled, eh? ;)

Not for Mork from Ork, it isn't. :) Get it? Nenu, nenu, shazbat. :D Ok, I am just kidding anyways, sometimes, having a little fun to release the tension is a good thing. Oh, maybe Microsoft is keylogging this since I am using Firefox on Windows 10 Pro with nothing disabled, eh? ;)

LOL! I don't care really but there's no need to constantly post one doesn't care about another's posts because that's like the opposite of not caring. Ignore is a much more effective and proper way to do that and I was just trying to be of assistance without cluttering up yet another thread with personal nonsense.

Back on subject, there are some changes in 1511 in the privacy settings, Call History and Email are new. Call History will send notifications through Cortana of missed phone calls and text messages. Email controls with apps have access to email though there had to be a way to do that before.

Back