Google Responsible For Linking To Defamatory Websites

HardOCP News

[H] News
If you are like me, the first thing you'll do after reading this story is Google this lady's name.

In a landmark judgment, the South Australian Supreme Court on Tuesday found Google published defamatory imputations about Dr Janice Duffy “to a substantial number of people”. Justice Malcolm Blue said the search company’s auto-complete results either published, republished or directed users toward comments harmful to her reputation.

So what, they are supposed to get rid of their automated systems and hire a billion people to manually update links so they can sensor everything that isn't PC?

So what, they are supposed to get rid of their automated systems and hire a billion people to manually update links so they can sensor everything that isn't PC?

Alternatively, they can just go out of business so that all the creepy stuff they've done over the years to gather information about whatever everyone is doing and thinking can get handed over to a more responsible government agency that can use it to blow the lid off pretty much everyone who's cheating on their spouse or significant other and maybe make them pay extra taxes or go to reeducational camps where they'll learn how to keep their dirty gonads under control. :mad:

Yep, just read the article.

So people can report stuff like this to google in order to try and get it censored.

The complaint is that they did not censor it fast enough.

The whole setup is stupid. The only reason she is going after google IMO is because the actual website that published the information would probably not result in any substantial monetary gain for her.

Just another sue-happy person from my point of view.

Google deserves a lawsuit. If they're going to try to be responsible for acting as everyone's one and only gateway to the Internet (which is true in like 2/3rds of search results because humans are dumb and use Google) then they need to be held responsible for everything that people click on their site. That means that anything that people do as a result of the stuff they find is partly to blame on Google so they should be included in lawsuits and criminal courts as an accomplice or something. That is if they refuse to just close their awful business and go away so the world is a better place.

If you are like me, the first thing you'll do after reading this story is Google this lady's name.

It sounds like the offending links were removed at some point after the case was filed. Luckily the article points you right to one of the very sites that offended her!

So no one knows or cares who this woman is but she feels she's been publicly defamed so what better way to handle it than to sue one of the biggest companies in the world and draw the inevitable news coverage to the issue so that everyone now knows who she is and what she's done. What a retard.

Google deserves a lawsuit. If they're going to try to be responsible for acting as everyone's one and only gateway to the Internet (which is true in like 2/3rds of search results because humans are dumb and use Google) then they need to be held responsible for everything that people click on their site. That means that anything that people do as a result of the stuff they find is partly to blame on Google so they should be included in lawsuits and criminal courts as an accomplice or something. That is if they refuse to just close their awful business and go away so the world is a better place.

You bitter about losing money in Yahoo stocks?

It never ceases to amaze me how many people want to kill the messenger (Google) rather than go after the source of the material that offends them.

Copyright holders in piracy cases, the Europeans in right to be forgotten cases, and now Australian Dr.s with reputation issues because they like to stalk Psychics.

Google should have no responsibility what so ever for their links. They are a search engine, that is what they are for. If people are upset they should attempt to have the offending material taken down from the source, and not blame the search engine.

The stupidity in all this is mind boggling...

Just allow Google to be a web crawler and quit making them add exceptions to the web results. They are simply indexing what is out there and helping you find it. They neither created what is out there, nor should be held responsible for it.

This is totally ridiculous. How is it that they don't have any technically-aware judges yet? Might as well have a monkey presiding over the case.

Oh no someone said something bad on the internet about me and this company that automatically makes a directory of every webpage that exist actually shows this webpage!

And if the name CreepyUncleGoogle doesn't embody the feeling of being a creepy old uncle, I don't know what does. :D

It's a clever disguise. :D I'm not actually a creepy old uncle in real life...or a Google for that matter, but SHHHH! Don't tell anyone! I don't want to have to come up with a another clever disguise.

Back