Sony Executive Weighs In On Possibility Of PS4 With Improved Performance

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
My thoughts are that a PS4.2 will likely never materialize, as it could tick off some of those who own the system already.

…the real question is whether those improvements should be made or not. With the PS3 architecture and the Cell, it was impossible to expand the machine beyond the capacity of the hard disk. On the other hand, with the PS4 adopting a conventional X86 architecture, it’s easy to achieve flexible performance enhancements while using the same game assets.

Pretty sure there will be one, and it'll be called the Playstation 5. Just a hunch.

you will end up with games that have an Optimized for PS4X* label on them.

*Regular PS4 will have reduced frame rate and image quality.

Ah, the Nintendo Plan. Let's release a system, release one new version of each of our properties on it, and then end-of-life the system! Then we do it all again in another 3 years.

Brilliant.

Or, they can just make these things more modular...call them PC's..

just do it for the PS5. They can even create a scenario where a game for the PS5 will have higher graphics and framerates, but will still be compatible with the PS4 minus the enhanced features from the PS5 hardware. heck even the xbox camp could incorporate this. just like in the PC.

Yall remember these badboys? Upgrades in a cartridge.

il_570xN.700673790_f30h.jpg

U-044-S-05260-A.jpg

And hell while we are at it, lets just go all out!

1344311323-2584494514.jpg

My thoughts are that a PS4.2 will likely never materialize, as it could tick off some of those who own the system already.

I bet it will happen eventually. They could release a new version with enhanced features and it would be totally backwards compatible with the older games. You could even make the newer games compatible with older systems by turning off some of the graphical features or running things at a lower resolution (900p vs 1080p). With the switch to x86 architecture it's too easy for them not to do it. I'd be surprised if the XBone doesn't do the same.

As for pissing off the people who own the system already, that didn't stop Nintendo with the Wii U or the "New" 3DS. People got over the both of those relatively quickly.

Or this guy:

301eu4i.jpg

None of those upgraded solutions ever panned out before, so it is unlikely that another one would. The only way I could see it working is that if the old one could continue to play the exact same games as a new system, but the new one would offer better details. As soon as games decided they required the new system to play, then it's all going to fall apart.

Today I could actually see someone being able to offer an upgraded model so that people with the cash to burn can upgrade, but there would still be a lower price point for parents to buy their kids. Like the article said, since it's x86 it wouldn't be very hard to put something together that could be 2x as fast. I could see one upgrade per generation, so that devs only have to target two systems. Make a low profile that runs at 720p, then make a high profile that does 1080p. (Or 1080p and 4k maybe) For AMD they could keep the same feature set, and basically just double the EUs, memory, and increase the clockspeeds on the CPU. That would make it much easier for devs to program for it. (If they targeted for around a 7750 with this gen, taking a die shrunk 7970 would offer a huge increase in performance while maintaining compatibility.)

Welcome to first world PC Master Race issues! Third world console badlands would get by somehow.

There are pros and cons to this obviously. The old console model of staying with a fixed platform for 5-6 years per generation may not make sense anymore, given the possible more rapid evolution alternative. PS4 uses high gfx settings. PS4.1 enables very high gfx settings. It could drive some to upgrade more frequently = $$$.

…the real question is whether those improvements should be made or not. With the PS3 architecture and the Cell, it was impossible to expand the machine beyond the capacity of the hard disk. On the other hand, with the PS4 adopting a conventional X86 architecture, it’s easy to achieve flexible performance enhancements while using the same game assets.

i have been thinking a lot about this as the consoles were rushed into production due to the 20nm node effectively imploding. sony/microsoft/nintendo can make a new hardware revision or multiple and have the os detect what hw revision you are on and load the correct game profile for the console. think of it like this have one hw revision for each resolution 1080p/4k/8k.

aFkF1CY.jpg

God this makes me want to play Golden Eye :(

Unlike the other hardware expansions, like the 32X and Sega CD, which allowed users to play other physical types of games, the N64 Expansion Pak actually had real-world performance improvements for a lot of games.
Some games required it, but others had increased resolutions, increased frame rates, and even a few had additional features unlocked when this was detected by the game. (considering it did up the RAM from 4MB to 8MB).

I bet it will happen eventually. They could release a new version with enhanced features and it would be totally backwards compatible with the older games. You could even make the newer games compatible with older systems by turning off some of the graphical features or running things at a lower resolution (900p vs 1080p). With the switch to x86 architecture it's too easy for them not to do it. I'd be surprised if the XBone doesn't do the same.

As for pissing off the people who own the system already, that didn't stop Nintendo with the Wii U or the "New" 3DS. People got over the both of those relatively quickly.

Remember when Sega did that with the Saturn and then the Dreamcast. After that, things went downhill quickly and Sega got out the console business.

I'd be all for hardware refreshes in-between "main releases". The game makers would just need to create a new settings/config file default for the alternate console, it can then detect and apply the appropriate settings depending on your hardware. With the move to X86, there's no reason both consoles can't do this. The full releases (Xbox Two, PS5) could be based around feature enhancements and new technology (DX12/Vulcan/etc.).

Enable hi-res mode, game framerate tanks even harder.

excellent.

Hah, exactly what happened in Turok 2 and Perfect Dark when I enabled hi-res mode in those games. Even a a kid I thought those games were almost unplayable with that mode enabled. But it was required for Perfect Dark to play anything outside of a gimped combat simulator.

The full releases (Xbox Two, PS5) could be based around feature enhancements and new technology (DX12/Vulcan/etc.).

There isn't going to be another Xbox at the rate the current one's going. Xbox Execs are jumping ship, Nadella has shifted the goalposts to counting Xbox Live subscriptions instead of Xbox One's sold in order to hide the lack of console sales, things aren't looking good.

Let's look at reasons consoles use to be better than PCs.

Console games don't need patching.
Console games don't need online. They're for people with real friends.
Console games just boot up directly to the game. No need to go through a UI to get to the game.

It only makes sense that the next update to consoles is upgradeability.

There isn't going to be another Xbox at the rate the current one's going. Xbox Execs are jumping ship, Nadella has shifted the goalposts to counting Xbox Live subscriptions instead of Xbox One's sold in order to hide the lack of console sales, things aren't looking good.

really? xbox is doing ok, while it may not be the stellar character the 360 was for its time, its still a solid performer. People come and go with companies and maybe that dude really wanted to do something different. Microsoft is still pumping a bit of money and software out for it.

I just don't see sony or Microsoft doing this. its still in a way costly.. part of the reasons why consoles end up selling more and more is because they are able to reduce cost over time... what was a 300 dollar console ended up being 129 or so by end of cycle. Releasing a "revamped upspec" I think would work against cost cutting.

Remember when Sega did that with the Saturn and then the Dreamcast. After that, things went downhill quickly and Sega got out the console business.

Was it downhill before or after this moment?

dc_vmu_white.gif

Cause I seriously thought this was some badass, albeit useless, technology :cool:

Was it downhill before or after this moment?

dc_vmu_white.gif

Cause I seriously thought this was some badass, albeit useless, technology :cool:

I remember you can plug those in some arcade machines and take your stats home and what not.

Speaking of Sega, anyone willing to sell me Panzer Dragoon Saga? The going price on these is straight out butt rape :(

I remember you can plug those in some arcade machines and take your stats home and what not.

Speaking of Sega, anyone willing to sell me Panzer Dragoon Saga? The going price on these is straight out butt rape :(

Nostalgia costs money mate. Though not as much for those of us who believe in keeping it physical copies. :)

I still don't understand why Panzer Dragoon Saga hasn't been ported to Steam. Feels like it'd be a no-brainer.

Won't happen. Divides developer support on resources. Publishers want broadest audience and wont waste money on it. Most examples of this in the past only the platform holder really supported it. More importantly most were via add-ons not a whole new consoles to be purchased. Talking as an 8 year vet of Sony during the PS3 era.

I love rasing chao. Also Panzer Dragoon Saga is cheap. Only $400 used, lol.

What's funny, is just yesterday, I was looking for an old anime to buy too, that I watched when I was a kid. Gall Force. Freaking will cost me $500 to buy it all on dvd and another $100 for the one vhs tape. Luckily, I found it on torrents. The company that owns it went bankrupt and have no idea who bought out the license for that movie series.

You could always get a Saturn emulator and see if you can download Panzer Dragoon Saga. That or buy the Japanese version for $18.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Azel-Panzer...429282?hash=item4af1fc62a2:g:nysAAOSwhcJWFfwa

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Consoles have always come out with new revisions which had better performance or lower temps. Just look at the 360 ... Xenon, Zephyr, Falcon, Opus, Jasper, Trinity, Corona, Winchester models..

hmmmm. interesting.
Maybe the will call it.. PS4K... for 4k res gaming.

if both sony and microsoft want to get into VR they are sure going to need something more powerful than an APU. What I would love to see is an APU with say 24GB (or more) with HBM 2.0 memory and then have a low power discrete gpu as well that could feed off of the APU's memory. Use just the APU when needed and use the APU and discrete gpu simultaneously in a sort of crossfire setup for graphically intensive games/VR

There has been rumors of "upgraded" consoles for years. On the MS side since the original xbox, I recall there were rumors of an Xbox2 based on a Pentium4.

On the sony side there was actually an upgraded PSX hardare that was made into system11 for arcades but never made it to consoles.

But contrary to what's said on the article, its never been "impossible" to do it, just impractical.

Thing is nowadays its much easier and probably much needed. Today the Tegra X1 can take on the Xbox360/PS3 and in a couple of years its succesor could meet or even beat the XboxOne/PS4.

Both consoles could benefit from HBM, Zen and next gen graphics.

Developers could easily do HD and "full HD" or even 4k versions of games with only improved textures and resolution.

Yall remember these badboys? Upgrades in a cartridge.

https://img0.etsystatic.com/060/0/9768417/il_570xN.700673790_f30h.jpg[/im]

[img]http://www.rfgeneration.com/images/games/U-044/gs/U-044-S-05260-A.jpg[/ig]

And hell while we are at it, lets just go all out!

[img]http://pic.pimg.tw/black16bit/1344311323-2584494514.jpg

Ashamed to admit but I had that monstrosity...ugh money wasted.

If they could release a version that plays all the same games at 4K, then I could see a point. Standard PS4 1080p, PS4+ 4K, same software. I think I might even buy the 4K one.

Well this post went full retard quickly. Talk about hyperbole and random fud.

I wish the console industry would tic-toc like Intel. This would give a long window for game-developers but also reduce the "it's been 10 years since my last upgrade". Brand new console every 6 years with an upgrade 3 years in. People how have the console don't feel bad..people who don't..don't feel like they are buying the past.

In theory, but never underestimate developers hard-coding timings into games. I can recall the small change from 294MHz on the fat PS2 to 299MHz on the slim breaking a small amount of games because of that. There's a reason why everyone tries to keep specs as close to the original as possible when they release revisions later on.

Back