Next Big Windows 10 Release Will Ease Activation Hassles

HardOCP News

[H] News
Those of us that reinstall operating systems a lot and change hardware frequently will no doubt appreciate this change. Your thoughts?

The latest preview release of Windows 10 includes the first glimpse of a new feature designed to eliminate one specific activation headache. When this change rolls out to the general public next month, you'll be able to use your Windows 7 or 8.1 product key to complete a Windows 10 upgrade.

It makes a hell of a lot more sense. Considering the amount of confusion it caused on this forum, I'd imagine it has been a nightmare for casual users.

Now, the question is, what key does it work with and will it work with the upgrade key? If you have a Windows 8.1 machine, does it read the key out of the bios?

Now, the question is, what key does it work with and will it work with the upgrade key? If you have a Windows 8.1 machine, does it read the key out of the bios?

For instance, like a Windows 8.1 or Windows 7 upgrade key?

Now if only they will fix Office 2016 licensing the same way. One has to activate 2016, which requires a Microsoft account when I would rather users run 2013 and not need to use one of their accounts at all. I support 250+ users, and I'll be darned if I want to try to begin managing all of their accounts as well, while the CFO is telling me NO to using Microsoft accounts at all for our users.

Now if only they will fix Office 2016 licensing the same way. One has to activate 2016, which requires a Microsoft account when I would rather users run 2013 and not need to use one of their accounts at all. I support 250+ users, and I'll be darned if I want to try to begin managing all of their accounts as well, while the CFO is telling me NO to using Microsoft accounts at all for our users.

Retail standalone copies of Office 2016 use product keys, not sure why you're having to use a Microsoft Account.

So,

If - after the free upgrade period expires - I need to reinstall Windows 10 for whatever reason (motherboard and drive fried, let's say) and Microsoft's database doesn't recognize my hardware fingerprint, I will be able to reinstall using my old Windows 7, Windows 8 or 8.1 key?

Also, My current Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 retail keys are freely transferable from system to system, as long as I only use them on one system at a time.

Will this be the case with Windows 10 upgraded using these keys? Or if I build a new computer, will I need to revert to Windows 7 using my existing Windows 7 key, because "this key ahs already been used to upgrade" or some nonsense like that?

Wish they did this from the beginning. Would've saved me a lot of time if they did. Glad they are doing this.

Other than the video card driver growing pains, this was the last thing keeping me from Windows 10 on my main box. Last thing I want to deal with is constant game crashing.

Zarathustra[H];1041908375 said:
So,

If - after the free upgrade period expires - I need to reinstall Windows 10 for whatever reason (motherboard and drive fried, let's say) and Microsoft's database doesn't recognize my hardware fingerprint, I will be able to reinstall using my old Windows 7, Windows 8 or 8.1 key?

Also, My current Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 retail keys are freely transferable from system to system, as long as I only use them on one system at a time.

Will this be the case with Windows 10 upgraded using these keys? Or if I build a new computer, will I need to revert to Windows 7 using my existing Windows 7 key, because "this key ahs already been used to upgrade" or some nonsense like that?

I am pretty certain, and a conspiracy nut, that this whole thing is Microsoft plan to eliminate traditional retail keys. They are willing to eat the cost of giving out Windows 10 for free right now so that hopefully in 3-4 years almost every retail key will be tied to a piece of hardware and that people will be forced to buy a new Windows license (either retail or through OEM). And then from there, it's almost easy money as people replace hardware every 3-6 years.

It's a brilliant move really.

Retail standalone copies of Office 2016 use product keys, not sure why you're having to use a Microsoft Account.

You still need a Microsoft account to activate it.

Really a big pain in the ass for re-sellers and small businesses (then again, Microsoft has continually demonstrated that they are either blind or just don't give a fucking shit about the needs of small businesses).

I really didn't experience any issues when performing the upgrade, using ProduKey to pull the Win10 key, then using that to do a fresh install. But, this will definitely help simplify the process. Kudos to Microsoft.

Small Business, bought Home and Business from Dell. Needs the Microsoft Account to activate. Total screw up.

Zarathustra[H];1041908469 said:
Really, huh.

I guess that means I'll continue to use 2010 indefinitely.

No way I'm creating a Microsoft Account. All my systems are 100% local accounts.

2013 also allows for local accounts. :)

Those of us that reinstall operating systems a lot and change hardware frequently will no doubt. [/I]

I don't think you got the gist of this change in the activation process. According to the article, all they're doing is making it easier for those with a Win 7 or 8 key to activate Windows 10 fresh install. Instead of having to go through the painful process of upgrading first then doing a fresh install of Win 10 to register your computer's hardware on MS servers, you can now use your existing Win 7 and 8 keys to do a fresh install and avoid the upgrade part. They're not making it easier for someone who changes hardware frequently. Windows 10 activation works by registering your computers hardware, any significant changes to hardware, and activation will fail. You will still likely have to call MS to get it activated manually.

I am pretty certain, and a conspiracy nut, that this whole thing is Microsoft plan to eliminate traditional retail keys. They are willing to eat the cost of giving out Windows 10 for free right now so that hopefully in 3-4 years almost every retail key will be tied to a piece of hardware and that people will be forced to buy a new Windows license (either retail or through OEM). And then from there, it's almost easy money as people replace hardware every 3-6 years.

It's a brilliant move really.

Most people do not buy retail copies, they upgrade when they buy a new computer, and even when given copies to upgrade which normally happens on computers sold right when a new OS rarely are upgraded to the new version. In fact they strongly considered making 10 download only. Nothing's changed, just people trying to find something to bitch about.

I don't think you got the gist of this change in the activation process. According to the article, all they're doing is making it easier for those with a Win 7 or 8 key to activate Windows 10 fresh install. Instead of having to go through the painful process of upgrading first then doing a fresh install of Win 10 to register your computer's hardware on MS servers, you can now use your existing Win 7 and 8 keys to do a fresh install and avoid the upgrade part. They're not making it easier for someone who changes hardware frequently. Windows 10 activation works by registering your computers hardware, any significant changes to hardware, and activation will fail. You will still likely have to call MS to get it activated manually.

This was basically my biggest complaint - I've done 3 Fresh installs for Win10 now, and every time it involved installing a Win7 instance, and then upgrading. PITA.

I dont know they didnt do this in the first place. I Undersd that most people are simply upgrading(like my parents) but many of us like Fresh installs...

You still need a Microsoft account to activate it.

Really a big pain in the ass for re-sellers and small businesses (then again, Microsoft has continually demonstrated that they are either blind or just don't give a fucking shit about the needs of small businesses).

At 200+ users, I would higly suggest you move to Office365 subscription and stop messing with retail copies of Office. Using Office365 and if you have a Active Directory managed domain. You can easily setup AD Federation services, AD sync and Single Sign on to Office365. This will automaticly activate every copy of Office on any computer in your domain by which users is currently logged on to the machine using their domain account. You never have to mess with activations again and also allows you to streamline office depolyments with the Office Deployment tool.

I moved my company of 100+ users spread over 7 locations in the US to Office365 over 2 years ago and have never looked back.

I would be more than happy to help a brother out if like to know what it would take to get you on an Office365 Sub. Just PM me if interested.

At 200+ users, I would higly suggest you move to Office365 subscription and stop messing with retail copies of Office. Using Office365 and if you have a Active Directory managed domain. You can easily setup AD Federation services, AD sync and Single Sign on to Office365. This will automaticly activate every copy of Office on any computer in your domain by which users is currently logged on to the machine using their domain account. You never have to mess with activations again and also allows you to streamline office depolyments with the Office Deployment tool.

I moved my company of 100+ users spread over 7 locations in the US to Office365 over 2 years ago and have never looked back.

I would be more than happy to help a brother out if like to know what it would take to get you on an Office365 Sub. Just PM me if interested.

That is not the solution.

The solution is to demand an end to all these "account" based services.

I don't want any of my applications to be cloud based, or subscription based, and I sure as hell don't want a Microsoft Account. Give me an office that is 100% local account only, or I will keep using 2010 forever (or maybe even experiment with Libre Office)

This shit needs to end, and it needs to end NOW.

Zarathustra[H];1041908519 said:
Fair enough. But I don't own a 2013 licence. Can I still even buy one now that 2016 is out? :p

Yep, they're still out there. Amazon has digital download editions available for Home/Student, Home/Business, and Professional, plus retail boxes fulfilled by Amazon (only way to get Professional Plus from Amazon that I can see, if that's what you're looking for).

Zarathustra[H];1041908609 said:

I don't want any of my applications to be cloud based, or subscription based, and I sure as hell don't want a Microsoft Account. Give me an office that is 100% local account only, or I will keep using 2010 forever (or maybe even experiment with Libre Office)

Office365 Office suite is the full blown desktop version of the office suite and runs completely of the local computer. There is nothing cloud about it. It only needs to activate against an autherized office365 user account or domain account. No Microsoft account needed.

Now If you want the full blown security and fuctionality of using Office365 to make life simpler. Then yes, you will need to add some cloud services into the mix by leveraging Azure AD to sync with your own AD on premises as well as AD fedration services to create a trust to Office365 services to authenticate your users to the Office365 servers enabling.

I hate to be the one to thell you this but telling companies to go ditch their highest, most profitable services beacuse you don't like is never going to happen. So your options are either accept it and embrace it for what is or keep dealing with the BS you are you have to go through now.

I would suggest you go ahead and give Office365 E3 Plan free trial a spin so you can get a better understanding of what Office365 really is.

Office365 Office suite is the full blown desktop version of the office suite and runs completely of the local computer. There is nothing cloud about it. It only needs to activate against an autherized office365 user account or domain account. No Microsoft account needed.

Now If you want the full blown security and fuctionality of using Office365 to make life simpler. Then yes, you will need to add some cloud services into the mix by leveraging Azure AD to sync with your own AD on premises as well as AD fedration services to create a trust to Office365 services to authenticate your users to the Office365 servers enabling.

I hate to be the one to thell you this but telling companies to go ditch their highest, most profitable services beacuse you don't like is never going to happen. So your options are either accept it and embrace it for what is or keep dealing with the BS you are you have to go through now.

I would suggest you go ahead and give Office365 E3 Plan free trial a spin so you can get a better understanding of what Office365 really is.

Crap no edit.
"Office365 services to authenticate your users to the Office365 servers enabling the ability to use Single Sign-on with the users domain account and password for everything"

Zarathustra[H];1041908469 said:
Really, huh.

I guess that means I'll continue to use 2010 indefinitely.

No way I'm creating a Microsoft Account. All my systems are 100% local accounts.

Eh. I use 2010, because I have a license, it's supported and I've never needed an office upgrade. Sure I like the new (as of 2007) UI (I know many didn't), but I could have lived with the old one. When it's not supported, I might upgrade....or I may just put it on a machine (or VM) that has no internet connection and edit docs on it.

I'm with you on this as a home user who doesn't use Office enough to justify paying an annual fee, but for a company, this seems like a good plan. Most companies pay a license fee either way. And if they're not, it may still be better, since they can deduct the full license fee each year, whereas a s/w purchase is amortized a period of time (I believe 3 years is typical).

If you're not lazy the current method is better because you end up with unique Windows 10 key and another unique key for whatever you had before so either Windows 8.1 or 7 key.

I wonder if, for example, I can run a Windows 7 hyper-v with old key under Windows 10.

I'm familiar with Office 365. It doesn't help when you are reselling computers to companies.

This was basically my biggest complaint - I've done 3 Fresh installs for Win10 now, and every time it involved installing a Win7 instance, and then upgrading. PITA.

I dont know they didnt do this in the first place. I Undersd that most people are simply upgrading(like my parents) but many of us like Fresh installs...

I don't understand why you installed Win 7 when doing a clean install of win 10.

In my experience, I upgraded directly to win 10 from a win 7 install. After 30 days, the pc locks up & the OS is not recoverable. I need to clean install win 10.

I create usb install media, clean install win 10 with a disk reformat of my OS hard drive. NO HARDWARE CHANGED.

Whenever I was prompted for win 10 product key, I clicked the skip key. After full install, I'm asked for product key or sign into Microsoft account. I sign into MS account, clean install automatically activates after signing in to MS account.

Now, I did expect to have to do what you have done. But that isn't how my clean install went. I would imagine that if I significantly change my hardware, I'll be calling MS activation line as I have in the past.

TL;DR I did clean install of win 10,skipped all entries for product key, at end of installation, signed into my MS account, OS automatically activated.

I don't understand why you installed Win 7 when doing a clean install of win 10 after already upgrading and activating win 10.

In my experience, I upgraded directly to win 10 from a win 7 install. After 30 days, the pc locks up & the OS is not recoverable. I need to clean install win 10.

I create usb install media, clean install win 10 with a disk reformat of my OS hard drive. NO HARDWARE CHANGED.

Whenever I was prompted for win 10 product key, I clicked the skip key. After full install, I'm asked for product key or sign into Microsoft account. I sign into MS account, clean install automatically activates after signing in to MS account.

Now, I did expect to have to do what you have done. But that isn't how my clean install went. I would imagine that if I significantly change my hardware, I'll be calling MS activation line as I have in the past.

TL;DR I did clean install of win 10,skipped all entries for product key, at end of installation, signed into my MS account, OS automatically activated.

I don't understand why you installed Win 7 when doing a clean install of win 10 after already upgrading from win 7 and activating win 10.

What is up with this trend of users make issues out of non-issues due to their own ignorance?
It's spreading to all subforums...."Generation Curling" for full effect?

I don't understand why you installed Win 7 when doing a clean install of win 10 after already upgrading from win 7 and activating win 10.

During the install process, whenever I was prompted for win 10 product key, I clicked the skip key. After full install, I'm asked for product key or sign into Microsoft account. I sign into MS account, clean install automatically activates after signing in to MS account.

During the install process, whenever I was prompted for win 10 product key, I clicked the skip key. After full install, I'm asked for product key or sign into Microsoft account. I sign into MS account, clean install automatically activates after signing in to MS account.

TL;DR I did clean install of win 10, during install process skipped all entries for product key, at end of installation, signed into my MS account, OS automatically activated.

I've installed 10 three times so far. First install failed on launch day due to activation issues and driver issues. Second time, I installed an old 7 key and then upgraded. After creating a USB boot, I clean installed last night with no issues and full activation. I'm looking at a 75% replace of hardware early next year so I'm hoping that the activation can be "relatively" painless... or I'll brush up on my foreign language skills for the call.

I'm with you on this as a home user who doesn't use Office enough to justify paying an annual fee, but for a company, this seems like a good plan. Most companies pay a license fee either way. And if they're not, it may still be better, since they can deduct the full license fee each year, whereas a s/w purchase is amortized a period of time (I believe 3 years is typical).

In that case then use office online. Yes you'll need a Microsoft account but it's likely you aren't using enough of office to need a full blown client, and it's more compatible than Gdocs.

I'm familiar with Office 365. It doesn't help when you are reselling computers to companies.

Since you are a OEM all your manual customization should be done in audit mode so you aren't making a user account or activating anything. Office also has a OEM preinstallation kit which you should be using to install and update office. This includes activating it on their behalf.

What is up with this trend of users make issues out of non-issues due to their own ignorance?
It's spreading to all subforums...."Generation Curling" for full effect?

It's not a non issue.

Having to have my personal information on file with the author in order to use a product, where I previously could be completely anonymous and just buy a key in a store, is a huge fucking deal.

You have to dig in your heels every single time anyone wants to add anything about you to a database. It really is a fucking slippery slope.

Back