Microsoft’s Mission To Reignite PC Sector May Be Taking Hold

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
I loved Microsoft’s unveiling this week, and recent products from vendors seem to indicate that the company is doing something right.

The stated reason that Microsoft got into the PC hardware business three years ago, with the original Surface, was not to put PC companies out of business. The company said the goal was to better illustrate the capabilities of its software, providing devices that would inspire PC makers to be more innovative. Analysts and industry executives say the strategy may be starting to work.

I really like the surface line up and now with the book they look like they have everything lined up. I will be looking in to the book later this year. The 950XL is on my list however at $1200 AUD I think I will wait till its around the $900 mark (Got Samsung Galaxy 6 128GB for my wife for $900). I understand the tech is better however over the 1k mark really is my limit.

A new laptop? A new tablet PC? That's some exciting innovation that will surely "Reignite the PC Sector"!

Zzz...

A new laptop? A new tablet PC? That's some exciting innovation that will surely "Reignite the PC Sector"!

Zzz...

The launch video of the Surface Book has over 4 million views and 26k likes versus 700 dislikes in four days. It seems to have struck a chord. No, it's not at all a new idea but the execution of it looks to be top of the line. It's by far the most interesting x86 launched this year if for no other reason Microsoft has decided to get into the laptop game which could be a big deal if it ever decided to get into the mainstream market.

Zzz...

Well, it seems to have gotten a lot of other people excited. Kind of like Apple. Some are excited and shit their pants outside the store waiting in line, and most of [H] are sitting back saying "sad fuckers.... it's just Zzz.....".

You may not like it, but many others do. I guess we'll find out, though. If the excitement turns to bigger sales, then the numbers will do the talking, regardless of how some people feel isn't innovative.

Someone call Intel, because their roadmap isn't on board with this whole "desktop PC" concept thingy.

Someone call Intel, because their roadmap isn't on board with this whole "desktop PC" concept thingy.

Neither is Microsoft. Their idea of a "PC" is a bunch of tablets with keyboards and an OS which has a crappy mix of both. Not exactly desktop centric, but that market really is dead aside from work stations & enthusiasts.

fluff piece.

we've been hearing for two years now how [insert all-new MS tech] is going to completely turn around the slumping PC market. and it never does, because it has nothing to do with the causes.

The launch video of the Surface Book has over 4 million views and 26k likes versus 700 dislikes in four days.

fake accounts.

it's not like ashley madison had ten million hot women signed up either.

I wish theyd do a better job with PC gaming, they seem to give mixed messages about wanting to try to kill it so they can promote the XBOX

Reignite the PC Sector ?

did they not BURN IT DOWN enough with the xbox, xbox 360, xbox one, windows 8 and windows 10?
They Reignited the PC Sector 5 times and it still LIVES!

The launch video of the Surface Book has over 4 million views and 26k likes versus 700 dislikes in four days. It seems to have struck a chord. No, it's not at all a new idea but the execution of it looks to be top of the line. It's by far the most interesting x86 launched this year if for no other reason Microsoft has decided to get into the laptop game which could be a big deal if it ever decided to get into the mainstream market.

Wow a glowing report by heatlesssun about a MS announcement, whodathunkit?

i tell ya what... when they can't even put a damn GPS (or 4G... or a darn USB3.1/TYPE-C) in a claimed high-end, over priced bloody device, then they can eat it. hot damn ffs yes i'm annoyed coz i really wanted an SP4 with a GPS but now they get squat from me because even if it did they priced themselves out of the stratasfear!

And don't give me any of that rubbish about being limited for space or blah blah blah. Sic of excuses from biased clowns trying to refute annoying business decisions that are clearly planned obsolescence style moves that have SFA to do with providing an actual feature packed option for... the over charged customer.

MS often do nice gear, but since a little before the XBOne's release, they really like $hitting the bed and annoying the informed. They always seem to make a nice item if you ignore the annoying little gotchas and the giving with one hand and taking with the other and the snake oil salesmen style moves. If they just didnt do that, they'd be hitting the ball out of the park time after time. Its a shame... coz i want such devices and i'm willing to pay for them if they just wouldn't' keep taking functionality out "to make it a better personalized experience".

I like the surface book too, but don't like the configurations available right now. If you want 512GB of storage you need the top end i7 model at $2699. How about an i5, non-dGPU, 512GB for $1899.

Glowing report? LOL! All I did was point out facts and state that the Surface Book is by far the most interesting x86 device of 2015. When does a Windows laptop see millions of YouTube views in days.

i tell ya what... when they can't even put a damn GPS (or 4G... or a darn USB3.1/TYPE-C) in a claimed high-end, over priced bloody device, then they can eat it. hot damn ffs yes i'm annoyed coz i really wanted an SP4 with a GPS but now they get squat from me because even if it did they priced themselves out of the stratasfear!

And don't give me any of that rubbish about being limited for space or blah blah blah. Sic of excuses from biased clowns trying to refute annoying business decisions that are clearly planned obsolescence style moves that have SFA to do with providing an actual feature packed option for... the over charged customer.

This is a hybrid laptop at 3.5 lbs. total weight. Yes there's limited space on this thing, it's pushing the upper boundaries of both size and weight. Sure the more features the better but GPS isn't a particularly common feature on these kinds of devices. USB-C would have also been nice but the dock/power connector is backwards compatible with the Surface Pro 3. Pens, Type Covers, docks and power adapters are all backwards and forwards compatible between the SP3 and SP4 and Surface Book does work with SP3 pens and power adapters.

MS often do nice gear, but since a little before the XBOne's release, they really like $hitting the bed and annoying the informed. They always seem to make a nice item if you ignore the annoying little gotchas and the giving with one hand and taking with the other and the snake oil salesmen style moves. If they just didnt do that, they'd be hitting the ball out of the park time after time. Its a shame... coz i want such devices and i'm willing to pay for them if they just wouldn't' keep taking functionality out "to make it a better personalized experience".

Taking functionality out? A 3.5 lbs. hybrid laptop with an external GPU option with what looks to be a hinge that's one of the best solutions ever for such a device with a fantastic screen, solid battery (at least on paper) with an all magnesium construction with a supposedly top of the line pen and touch experience. If the market was full of these kinds of devices then no one would be talking about the Surface Book.

We'll know shortly has the device stacks up. Reviewers should be units sometime this week I'm guessing and it goes on public sale in about 2 weeks. The Surface Book will be the second Surface device I buy at launch, I bought the Surface 3 (non-Pro) at launch in May. These are niche devices but I've found my Surface 3 and Pro 3 to be the best Tablet PCs I've ever used and I've had a number of them over the years. I know that many don't care for the concept and don't like the form factor. But the niche that does is very loyal and will pay top dollar for these kinds of devices. It's as loyal a PC user base as there is, perhaps more loyal and willing to spend than gamers.

I am unsure why you have focused on the Surface Book. My requests were for the Surface. A laptop is not a desired device for me (not at the prices MS asks thats for sure). Either its a desktop PC i can actually do real work on... or its a Surface Pro i can *try* to do real work on.. and also lots of other cool things because its an actual x64 machine. Something i wanted about 8 years ago but no one delivered till MS's first Surface appeared (but it was to over priced and under bullet-pointed for me personally, i had to wait for the 3 beforei got enough boxes ticked to make it worth it to some degree).

So your argument that a GPS is not normal in a device like that is... not applicable.

Last time i checked... every tablet had one. accept the Surface line. FFS.

I am unsure why you have focused on the Surface Book. My requests were for the Surface. A laptop is not a desired device for me (not at the prices MS asks thats for sure). Either its a desktop PC i can actually do real work on... or its a Surface Pro i can *try* to do real work on.. and also lots of other cool things because its an actual x64 machine. Something i wanted about 8 years ago but no one delivered till MS's first Surface appeared (but it was to over priced and under bullet-pointed for me personally, i had to wait for the 3 beforei got enough boxes ticked to make it worth it to some degree).

He claims to have preordered the Surface Book on the day it was announced. If that's true and not just a paid advertisement from Microsoft, then he's working very hard to justify his purchase to himself by projecting his needs on the situations of others in order to avoid buyer's remose and the realization that he already owns 10 other compters (another one of his claims) that run Windows 10 and perform the exact same function. So, if it's not marketing, it's purchasing for the sake of purchasing which is something of an addiction and a psychological minefield that any good shrink would have a fun time dissecting since that's quite the basket case sort of mental state in that head.

This forum is so weird sometimes. People shit all over Apple because this is mainly a PC forum so I am to expect that. But those same people shit all over Microsoft in the same breath. What do you people even do here if you hate all of it?

Jesus Christ, it's about time MS made their own hardware. Everything they've done has been really nice aside from the xbox360 breaking all the time. Stop being basement dwelling haters

This forum is so weird sometimes. People shit all over Apple because this is mainly a PC forum so I am to expect that. But those same people shit all over Microsoft in the same breath.

The world isn't black and white, you will eventually realize that not liking a company doesn't mean that you love another.

Apple = Walled garden that demands that you pay a premium to prance around said walled garden in just the way your Lord & Savior Steve Jobs would have intended according to the words of it's apostle Tim Cook.

Microsoft is trying to create Walled Gardens with the microsoft store and the like because it recognized the money potential, why should we like that?, there can be graphic comparisons with for example getting reamed. I do not like that at all, so it won't matter to me that the one doing it is Apple or Microsoft or whoever, i won't accept it.

And hey, you don't mind what they do, that is fine and dandy, that is your prerogative, but do not try and tell everyone that they ought to bend over and enjoy it too, that isn't how it works in the world and Ad Hominems just shows us that you lacked actual points of discussion.

Now back on topic, i get that these "news articles" AKA Press Releases are done to generate clicks for the site, but Megalith, http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1878218 "Windows 10 Didn’t Stop PC Sales From Dropping This Summer" right next to the one linked in this thread, that is only based on conjectures shown off as statements of facts from the future, seems a bit bipolar, wouldn't you say?

I think PC gaming future looks bright... but i want my G.O.W.U.A. NOW!!!!

Microsoft is trying to create Walled Gardens with the microsoft store and the like because it recognized the money potential, why should we like that?, there can be graphic comparisons with for example getting reamed. I do not like that at all, so it won't matter to me that the one doing it is Apple or Microsoft or whoever, i won't accept it.

And hey, you don't mind what they do, that is fine and dandy, that is your prerogative, but do not try and tell everyone that they ought to bend over and enjoy it too, that isn't how it works in the world and Ad Hominems just shows us that you lacked actual points of discussion.

People are using and enjoying app stores on other platforms. Sure Microsoft is trying to make a buck, but the Windows Store is only one of a number. All preexisting distributions mechanisms work, I have both Steam and Origin running on Windows 10 devices and running those apps along side Windows Store apps. It's just another choice and allows for apps to run across multiple Microsoft devices Don't see how it's a bad thing for consumers as long as all other existing software distribution mechanisms work.

The Windows App store is an abomination. It's a place for scammers to take advantage of people who do not understand how the search bar in Windows is functioning.

I was forced to use it in Windows RT, but refuse to even consider using in Windows.

The Windows App store is an abomination. It's a place for scammers to take advantage of people who do not understand how the search bar in Windows is functioning.

I was forced to use it in Windows RT, but refuse to even consider using in Windows.

The problems with the Windows Store have been well discussed and while the size of the Windows Store pales in comparison to iOS and Android, there's still a decent amount of good and useable content there, even desktop users. There's no reason not to use content apps like Netflix or Hulu if one subscribes to those. Plenty of decent social media apps and casual games. Picked up one of those, Prismatica, the other day. A buck cheaper than on Steam and with using Bing Rewards it was free anyway.

I know that for political reasons some will simply refuse to use a "walled garden" app store on Windows. But for average people there's no reason not to pick up at least some of the free apps and now and then even paid ones as long as you know what you're getting. There were a lot more scam apps out there, the situation is much better now, not perfect but much better. It's just another option for obtaining software and if one has a Windows touch device, you pretty much need to use it to get the most out of such device.

The world isn't black and white, you will eventually realize that not liking a company doesn't mean that you love another.

Apple = Walled garden that demands that you pay a premium to prance around said walled garden in just the way your Lord & Savior Steve Jobs would have intended according to the words of it's apostle Tim Cook.

Bend over and get reamed??? Please, show me some proof of this. :rolleyes: Having other options to obtain software is not what you think it is but hey, the Microsoft hate is strong here.

Wow, a hate filled against Microsoft post by this poster, who would have thought? :rolleyes: Also, why would you need a GPS in a laptop / hybrid device, you going to use it for driving around with the thing on your front seat? I think these new devices are looking quite good but, I have a Surface Pro and am content with that. (It is very fast as well.)

Wow, a hate filled against Microsoft post by this poster, who would have thought? :rolleyes: Also, why would you need a GPS in a laptop / hybrid device, you going to use it for driving around with the thing on your front seat? I think these new devices are looking quite good but, I have a Surface Pro and am content with that. (It is very fast as well.)

I thought this place was a hardware enthusiasts forum. Seems more like a troll board full with people who think someone is going to spend money to influence a small community like this about products most people in these threads will never buy anyway.

I thought this place was a hardware enthusiasts forum. Seems more like a troll board full with people who think someone is going to spend money to influence a small community like this about products most people in these threads will never buy anyway.

Hardware enthusiasts are a bit more picky about the smallest details. For the general user, something may be perfect. For many here, it has to be more than perfect.

To me, art may look great. To an art connoisseur, it may look like rubbish. Just a different perspective.

Even Microsoft employees complain about their products at times. But, that's how they get better. Even the Microsoft MVP's bitch a lot (most of the MVP summit sessions are just us bitching about things with them, hopefully to get them to improve things), but we're some of the biggest Microsoft fans and users out there. Microsoft isn't going to pay people to talk up their products. They just make great products with the occasional flop. A device isn't going to be perfect for everybody, but it's going to be perfect for some.

I know that for political reasons some will simply refuse to use a "walled garden" app store on Windows. But for average people there's no reason not to pick up at least some of the free apps and now and then even paid ones as long as you know what you're getting. There were a lot more scam apps out there, the situation is much better now, not perfect but much better. It's just another option for obtaining software and if one has a Windows touch device, you pretty much need to use it to get the most out of such device.

The problem I have with the store is the lack of oversight. There are some very popular terms on there like Firefox, Outlook, and Movie Maker that when you search for these on Windows 8 or 10 search function it says "App" and then lists that name. It then takes you to the store and you see "Microsoft Outlook" for $1.99. And if you didn't read the 1 star reviews you wouldn't know that it's just a video saying "Microsoft Outlook is super!". There are many examples of this, and it is preying on those who are not computer savvy, which is most people.

This is a very bad intro to the "future" of computing for many people.

I'm not saying that they need to be as stringent as Apple (though I'm not saying they shouldn't), but they need to at least catch the gross offenders.

When you sell something through your "Store" you are to some extent saying that you support this. Which is probably why Apple is so strict about the content. I know companies will say 3rd parties are 3rd parties. But there is a reason Amazon pulled all the Confederate Flags. It was because they know that the public views them as being complicit with things sold under through their operation, even if it's at the unconscious level.

The problem I have with the store is the lack of oversight. There are some very popular terms on there like Firefox, Outlook, and Movie Maker that when you search for these on Windows 8 or 10 search function it says "App" and then lists that name. It then takes you to the store and you see "Microsoft Outlook" for $1.99. And if you didn't read the 1 star reviews you wouldn't know that it's just a video saying "Microsoft Outlook is super!". There are many examples of this, and it is preying on those who are not computer savvy, which is most people

They've been claiming they were going to clean up the app store for both Windows & Windows Phone for years. Hasn't happened.... It'll take a lot of resources, sure. But it will be worth it. I don't go to get an app unless I know exactly what I'm wanting.

The problem I have with the store is the lack of oversight. There are some very popular terms on there like Firefox, Outlook, and Movie Maker that when you search for these on Windows 8 or 10 search function it says "App" and then lists that name. It then takes you to the store and you see "Microsoft Outlook" for $1.99. And if you didn't read the 1 star reviews you wouldn't know that it's just a video saying "Microsoft Outlook is super!". There are many examples of this, and it is preying on those who are not computer savvy, which is most people.

This is a very bad intro to the "future" of computing for many people.

I'm not saying that they need to be as stringent as Apple (though I'm not saying they shouldn't), but they need to at least catch the gross offenders.

When you sell something through your "Store" you are to some extent saying that you support this. Which is probably why Apple is so strict about the content. I know companies will say 3rd parties are 3rd parties. But there is a reason Amazon pulled all the Confederate Flags. It was because they know that the public views them as being complicit with things sold under through their operation, even if it's at the unconscious level.

I looked and saw none of those $1.99 Outlook apps you claim are there. How about some solid proof to go with your claim. (I am serious about that because I just looked and found none of what you mentioned.)

There used to be a lot more junk out there. They actually have cleaned up a lot this junk. A search for Outlook returns the Office mobile apps. A search for Firefox does return a $4.99 Firefox Guide which is lame but it is clearly marked guide and there are no reviews.

I've spent a good big of money on apps and the vast majority of the time I get what I thought I was paying for, mostly well known games. Things could be better but most of the basic stuff people would find useful is free.

For crying out loud, give it a rest. Every single time someone voices a valid reason for not liking a particular thing... you come out with your night in shining armor jackass response of "fanboy / MS Hater". You cant be further from the truth.

Secondly, why would you need a computer? You can use a pencil and paper. Why are you using those devices? Stop asking ridiculous questions like as if it show how invalidates a reason for me wanting to use a device for certain things (many things.. most of which you just are to narrow minded to even imagine let a lone contemplate someone else less wholly than thou could wish to do).

i never said the new devices were not good. But i will spell it out for your extreme opposite seeking one tracked minded brain. They seem to be very nice bits of kit. Unfort. they lack a few functions i was really hoping they had. Oh no.. more MS hate from "this poster". FKNWKR.

Hardware enthusiasts are a bit more picky about the smallest details. For the general user, something may be perfect. For many here, it has to be more than perfect.

To me, art may look great. To an art connoisseur, it may look like rubbish. Just a different perspective.

Even Microsoft employees complain about their products at times. But, that's how they get better. Even the Microsoft MVP's bitch a lot (most of the MVP summit sessions are just us bitching about things with them, hopefully to get them to improve things), but we're some of the biggest Microsoft fans and users out there. Microsoft isn't going to pay people to talk up their products. They just make great products with the occasional flop. A device isn't going to be perfect for everybody, but it's going to be perfect for some.

Finally some common sense. Perhaps some of these extreme reactionists can take a leaf out of this book and use some grey matter for once.

For crying out loud, give it a rest. Every single time someone voices a valid reason for not liking a particular thing... you come out with your night in shining armor jackass response of "fanboy / MS Hater". You cant be further from the truth.

Secondly, why would you need a computer? You can use a pencil and paper. Why are you using those devices? Stop asking ridiculous questions like as if it show how invalidates a reason for me wanting to use a device for certain things (many things.. most of which you just are to narrow minded to even imagine let a lone contemplate someone else less wholly than thou could wish to do).

i never said the new devices were not good. But i will spell it out for your extreme opposite seeking one tracked minded brain. They seem to be very nice bits of kit. Unfort. they lack a few functions i was really hoping they had. Oh no.. more MS hate from "this poster". FKNWKR.

Not really sure what point you're trying to make. How is it extreme to point out that broadband radios (LTE/GPS) aren't common in these kinds of devices? That's not at all to say it wouldn't be a nice option but it does add cost and impact battery life and phone tethering is an option.

For this kind of a device I think the pen capabilities are mud more important. It'll drive more sales than integrated broadband.

Man, I have read your stuff over the years and you never, ever, come out with something good about Microsoft or their hardware. Your postings here were filled with the hate that I usually see you post. Saying you wish some product had something is not even close to the way you are posting.

Oh well, I look at all products for what they are, not what I wish them to be. LOL! Enjoy your one sided responses I guess. ;)

Oh well, I look at all products for what they are, not what I wish them to be. LOL! Enjoy your one sided responses I guess. ;)

And some of us look at what we wish them to be. Nothing wrong with that whatsoever. By using the feedback tool in Windows, User Voice, talking with Microsoft, we're improving the products. We're helping making the product what we wish them to be in the future.

Some people use products. Some people use them and want to improve them. Others are the ones that design them. There are people in the middle to communicate with all of them.

Just as long as the feedback is good feedback. There's a huge difference between "I don't like this." and "I don't like this because....". :) I see both on the forums.

And some of us look at what we wish them to be. Nothing wrong with that whatsoever. By using the feedback tool in Windows, User Voice, talking with Microsoft, we're improving the products. We're helping making the product what we wish them to be in the future.

Some people use products. Some people use them and want to improve them. Others are the ones that design them. There are people in the middle to communicate with all of them.

Just as long as the feedback is good feedback. There's a huge difference between "I don't like this." and "I don't like this because....". :) I see both on the forums.

This I agree with, thank you. :) It really comes down to how a person responses to a particular issue or situation that shows what the person really thinks. For instance, my HTC One M8 for Windows is working great but, I do like the improvements that Windows 10 Mobile is bringing. However, since it is in beta, the lock screen and battery life are not working well yet. (I am now recovering back to Windows Phone 8.1 as we speak.)

If I were to spend the $1500 and up that the Book costs, it would be one of the devices I would seriously consider purchasing. Heatless sun has the budget to be able to do so and I am happy for him being able to do that. Myself, I have a more limited budget so the i7-6700K upgrade on my home computer received the go ahead. :D

Suffice it to say, I hate complaining straight up. I used to complain all the time and always thought I was right even though most often, I wasn't. I do not like to be around constant complainers because it affects the way I think.

Pretty much this. The SP3/4 was not meant to be a traditional tablet, but a laptop replacement for business needs. That's the price point it sits at. Not for some douchenozzle hipster needing GPS to find the local vinyl shop next to a Starbucks. Or needing 4G built in when you have a perfectly good 4G smartphone that doubles as a hotspot. These aren't marketed to the all-in-one crowd, but the "versatile business tool" crowd.

Back