Lawsuit Claims Microsoft Discriminated Against Women

HardOCP News

[H] News
A former Microsoft employee has filed a lawsuit against the company claiming its policy of ranking employees discriminates against women.

Microsoft Corp on Wednesday was hit with a proposed class action lawsuit in U.S. court claiming its policy of ranking employees to determine pay and promotions led to discrimination against women. The lawsuit was filed in federal court in Seattle, Washington by former technician Katherine Moussouris, who claims she was passed over for promotions given to less-qualified men and was told supervisors did not like her "manner or style."

I have worked in the Seattle tech sector for years now and can say that while it's a predominantly male workplace, I have never witnessed a culture of misogyny or sexual discrimination. I have, however, seen plenty of people (mostly men) whose bad attitudes limited their upward mobility. I'm not saying that is automatically the case here, but given that her supervisors did not like her "manner or style", it sounds to me like she could have had the technical chops but lacked the soft skills for a leadership role.

I have been saying for years that I would like to see more gender balance in the IT industry.

Seems like if your personality is really a deal-breaker for promotion, they should just fire that person rather than dangling promotions that will never happen.

So at first glance it sounds like she was a complete bitch and got passed over for a promotion because she was a bitch and then got angry.

Nothing to see here.

The problem I see is void of gender. It's that networked people who like each other do favors for each other and in turn skip people that aren't part of the inner circles.

It happens to me, as a man, with both men and women above me who pull strings for friends and "people with the right attitude" and the rest is left out in the cold.

Ass kissing and social engineering gets you places almost everywhere. Skill gets you to a point that might be pretty good, but there's a ceiling and that ceiling is gender neutral.

So at first glance it sounds like she was a complete bitch and got passed over for a promotion because she was a bitch and then got angry.

Nothing to see here.

At first glance it seems like first glances are not a particularly good way to make judgements about things. I could be wrong though.

Damn no edit..

Sex
refers to a person’s biological status and is typically categorized as male, female, or intersex
(i.e., atypical combinations of features that usua
lly distinguish male from female).
There are a
number of indicators of biological sex, including sex chromosomes, gonads, internal
reproductive organs, and external genitalia.
refers to the attitudes, feelings, and behaviors that a given culture
associates with a
person’s biological sex. Behavior that is compatible with cultural expectations is referred to as
normative; behaviors that are viewed as incompatible with these expectations
constitute gender non
-
conformity

Source: HERE

The problem I see is void of gender. It's that networked people who like each other do favors for each other and in turn skip people that aren't part of the inner circles.

It happens to me, as a man, with both men and women above me who pull strings for friends and "people with the right attitude" and the rest is left out in the cold.

Ass kissing and social engineering gets you places almost everywhere. Skill gets you to a point that might be pretty good, but there's a ceiling and that ceiling is gender neutral.
Yeah that's pretty much it all over.

This and where the disparity comes in most places is many women somehow believe themselves exempt from this. A man gets passed over because he hasn't kissed the right ass, it's his fault. A woman gets treated exactly the same and is sexism. Fight for equally, get shit on equally, still complains.

Now that's an obvious over simplification of it as real discrimination does happen and should be stopped. The problem is figuring out what is legit and what is bullshit someone didn't get their way. In this case we really have no idea, but given the culture history of Ms, I honestly would be surprised if actual discrimination happened.

WHAT THE FLYING FUCK IS UP WITH THAT HORRIBLY LONG ASS ACRONYM!?

Seriously, that's crazy. That said, Sex and Gender is completely different. A guy can have female like features.

That said, sounds like the typical stupidity again... One of these days, it'll be a false accusation but got the right Judge, and bam! The world loses another chunk as it descends a bit faster to hell. But the world is fucked already.

I'm surprised people view imposing a gender quota on companies like MS as more import than their disgusting abuse of the H1B system.

Its sad how certain groups of people fight for equality in everything, they want all the perks of being equal as another group but they don't want the cons to the equality. Example perk is you get cake, con is you have to eat a sh*@ burger to get that cake. Well those groups want to have the cake but not eat the burger. Classic one is a women can hit a man no problem, but sec that man hits the women back its wrong. I see it was wrong for women to even raise her hand at a man to start with, when she did he has every right to defend himself with proper force.

If this women had a bad attitude that they didn't like that is more then enough reason for her to be past over for promote even if she doesn't like it. Being in a position of power you have other employee's to deal with and maybe even customers and if either have a problem with her then it effects the whole company.

Seems like if your personality is really a deal-breaker for promotion, they should just fire that person rather than dangling promotions that will never happen.

That's even worse. Most corporations document the hell out of the reason you were fired to keep you from suing for wrongful dismissal. Getting bad reviews for her manner and style would have resulted in the same lawsuit, and probably even more press if she was fired for it.

I'm surprised people view imposing a gender quota on companies like MS as more import than their disgusting abuse of the H1B system.

Not just Microsoft, but Disney, Southern California Edison, etc.
Many big companies want to greatly expand this abuse of the H1B system.

The reason for the H1B system is to allow companies to higher a foreign worker when they can't find a US worker to do the job. This was supposed to be for high level technical positions, not for help desk type jobs.

However there is a simple fix that would stop the abuse of the H1B system, but I won't hold my breath waiting for this to be put into law.

1. H1B Visa holders should be direct hires only, no contracting out H1B workers. Most the current abuse of the system is from contracting companies. Both Disney and SCE used this loophole to replace existing good paying American jobs with H1B workers, which is suppose to be illegal. If these companies had to hire the H1B visa workers directly they would be in violation for the law, but because the contracted out the work, it's considered legal.

2. Require any H1B workers to be paid at least 10% more than an equivalent American worker. If a company really can't find an American to do the job, then they shouldn't have a problem paying a decent wage to such a rare foreign worker. This would help stop much of the other abuse of the system where cheaper foreign workers are hired after pretending to look for American workers.

lol man espn should do a lawsuit sports show with commentary and cash in law suits are like feminine rugby(america football) theres always a law suit everyday in murica

I love how she has the audacity to claim the men who were promoted were "lesser qualified" yet she's the one not getting the promotions. Sounds like an arrogance issue, one that management recognizes through and through.

Haven't verified what this person said but....

And of course, her youngest lawsuit is a blatant lie. Her own Linkedin shows that she received multiple promotions over a very short timespan. She worked for Microsoft for a grand total of one year and five months before being promoted from "Security Strategist" to "Senior Security Strategist". Another two years and she was actually the "Senior Security Strategist Lead". But apparently, this payoff was not sufficient to stave off a lawsuit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAc...al_feminist_katherine_moussouris_files_bogus/

I'm totally shocked....:rolleyes: So now that it is confirmed she is a C U next tuesday, I can just add her to the long list of people doing very real damage to the women who actually face discrimination. These people are a blight on society and I'll be glad when the stigma to SJW and Radical feminism is so bad that anyone identifying with these groups becomes effectively unemployable.

not enough positions to be promoted to,
so in order to get those positions, you have to kiss the right asses, with the right manner and style.
...like put some tongue into it.

Only in libtard fantasy land.

I see you have swallowed the feminist kool-ad... Do you also wear a skirt and eye makeup?

No not libtard land or feminist kool-aid.. Wow the arrogance of some people. Wan't to know WHY I know they are different? Because I study, learn things, do research and I am not close minded. Oh and I am a trans woman also. So Yes Gender and sex ARE different. And for the record, I am a moderate, not a liberal.

Back