Facebook Working On A Dislike Button

HardOCP News

[H] News
I don't mean to sound like a jackass but Zuckerberg makes this sound like a monumental achievement. Seriously, aside from flipping the "like" icon upside down, how hard is it to add a dislike button?

Mark Zuckerberg announced today that Facebook is finally working on a "Dislike" button. "I think people have asked about the dislike button for many years. Today is a special day because today is the day I can say we’re working on it and shipping it," Zuckerberg said during a Q&A.

Wow, they've been fighting this for years because of the impact to their sponsors. I'm very surprised they're going to do it now.

I don't mean to sound like a jackass but Zuckerberg makes this sound like a monumental achievement. Seriously, aside from flipping the "like" icon upside down, how hard is it to add a dislike button?

Mark Zuckerberg announced today that Facebook is finally working on a "Dislike" button. "I think people have asked about the dislike button for many years. Today is a special day because today is the day I can say we’re working on it and shipping it," Zuckerberg said during a Q&A.

How hard is it?

Evidently it is really hard...after all you and Kyle don't yet have a Dislike Button after how many years? :D

inb4 teenagers committing suicide over dislike spam

Wow, they've been fighting this for years because of the impact to their sponsors. I'm very surprised they're going to do it now.

I imagine that it only would be programmed onto certain things, and not others.....modeled a certain way so that their ads and sponsors are not included.

People can kill each other over a change to facebook status. I am fully expecting blood to be shed over this decision.

I'm sure it will be just a thumbs down, but I would like to have the option of an up middle finger instead :). It's a stronger dislike. Maybe they'll call it the "F U" and roll it out in a few years as such a huge big deal that took years to implement.

Needless to say, I expect to see many a news story about someone getting butthurt over another disliking them and doing something stupid.

I'm sure it will be just a thumbs down, but I would like to have the option of an up middle finger instead :). It's a stronger dislike. Maybe they'll call it the "F U" and roll it out in a few years as such a huge big deal that took years to implement.

That's clearly exporting Anglosphere culture through Anglo-saxon specific rude insult gesture!

Steps back for perspective:

Breaking news - some guy has announced that you can click a button on a page on the internet.

Seriously never thought I would see this day. What an odd world we inhabit. LOL

Steps back for perspective:

Breaking news - some guy has announced that you can click a button on a page on the internet.

Seriously never thought I would see this day. What an odd world we inhabit. LOL

The real sad part is that someone really will die because of that button. Houses have been burned and people have been stabbed over Facebook quarrels before, so this is guaranteed to come.

Remember, it took the huge resource team at Apple quite a long time to redesign the trash can icon in OS X Mavericks.. The small developer team at Facebook must be freaking out over the task of designing a dislike button. ;)

they might just not count the dislikes. after all, social media is a big hug box. dislikes on youtube comments don't work either. you can click them, but it doesn't affect the number of likes on a comment.

It's hard to convince the lawyers and shareholders it's a good idea.

What purpose?

Do you dislike the post? Dislike the opinion? Don't think it's a relevant post? Hopefully, it doesn't change the way things are posted. If you dislike the death of someone, then it would stop showing you those? Is it a ranking of popularity (top posts) or is it a value of relevance (worthwhile post, regardless of opinion), or is it just a shit post (no relevance, like spam)?

They're shipping it? It takes them years to take the like button and rotate it and now they need to ship it to us.

What purpose?

Do you dislike the post? Dislike the opinion? Don't think it's a relevant post? Hopefully, it doesn't change the way things are posted. If you dislike the death of someone, then it would stop showing you those? Is it a ranking of popularity (top posts) or is it a value of relevance (worthwhile post, regardless of opinion), or is it just a shit post (no relevance, like spam)?

You can't downvote Steve Jobs' death to oblivion unfortunately.

Been asking for editing on [H] news forums... How hard can it be to enable that feature?

Just sayin'....

Clearly this isn't about technical challenges in enabling such a feature, but rather it's the social challenges in doing so.

Many people are narcissistic, they do not want to be told that something they posted is crap. They expect everyone to be nice to them all the time. Just look at other news site where people are commenting on it. I've already seen people calling it "internet negativity" and "internet bullying".

Sites like Facebook and Twitter caters to these kind of people, and this is why it's difficult for them to implement it. Unlike say Youtube which isn't a social networking site to begin with. Even so, there are people out there arguing against Youtube removal of the ability to disable ratings.

Facebook comments
███████▄▄███████████▄
▓▓▓▓▓▓█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
▓▓▓▓▓▓█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
▓▓▓▓▓▓█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
▓▓▓▓▓▓█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
▓▓▓▓▓▓█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
▓▓▓▓▓▓███░░░░░░░░░░░░█
██████▀░░░░░░░██████▀
░░░░░░░░░█░░░░█
░░░░░░░░░░█░░░█
░░░░░░░░░░░█░░█
░░░░░░░░░░░█░░█
░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▀

I don't understand how it can be that hard to do...just rollback the webpage code to around 2008 or something like that and the dislike button will be back! ;)

Back