Google Has A New Logo

Dang, MrCaffeineX beat me to it: the new logo looks like it belongs on the wall in a pre-school classroom.

I guess this is the best Google could come up with...

I like it alright except for the 'e'. It needs to have a horizontal connecting line.

IDbpol2.png

Here we go back to 1995 for logos and fonts.

Not just fonts but essentially all ui design has been going square, flatter with solid colors. It's like all graphic artists had a secret meeting and agreed on making their jobs easy as hell.

It's actually more difficult to achieve elegance across all platforms than to just throw a bunch of crap at the screen with little care for mobile users.

I kinda wonder how much they paid for that logo from a branding company. $50k? Somewhere a designer died inside while his boss cashed a massive paycheck.

I thought it was garbage at first but it's growing on me. It actually looks much better when it's scaled down.

First impression of the "G" revision was I hated it, the angles are just so off it's not even funny, so I threw together what I had an idea about as to how it should look. New Google "G" on the left, my revision on the right with all the proper angles. Now if I could just find an email address to send it to... :D

NB6Hzr2.png

No I ain't an artist, and it took longer than it should have - could have done it much faster with a mechanical pencil, a drafting compass, and a 45 degree triangle I suppose. Drafting class was fun a few decades ago. My revision needs to be "thicker" I suppose, but whatever. All those angles and mismatched portions of the actual "G" logo just irritate the hell outta me.

I kinda wonder how much they paid for that logo from a branding company. $50k? Somewhere a designer died inside while his boss cashed a massive paycheck.
Oh, a lot more than that I'll bet. I'm sure they spent millions focus-group-testing the hell out of it.

Doesn't affect me, but since there us a thread it's terrible. Beyond that I don't really care.

I saw some mutterings about a new Google logo, then couldn't spot my most recent Google Search tab, only to realise that the tab featuring a favicon looking like it belonged to a cheap Chinese/Indian store site was the tab I was looking for.

The new logo is not an improvement.

Apple first went flat and dull in 10.9 - 10.10.
And Windows bend backwards looking flat with 8.0 to 10.
Then Android the next with Lollipop, looking flat.
Now this Google.

All look flat and childish - no 3D.

Is appearing FLAT and DULL the new future?

*cough cough*

Now this Google.

*cough cough*
It sure is dull as a web designer, let me tell you. Graphics creation used to take up a much bigger chunk of my time on a project than it now does. I'd say it's about 10% of what it used to be. Now all I'm usually required to do is create the logo and maybe a header image. And yes, the clients also want the logos to be retardly simple these days. Photoshop thinks I don't love it any longer.

Now this Google.

*cough cough*
Yes flat and boring is all the new rage. My only guess is companies quit hiring people who actually have any talent at UI design. It's really awful and sad when Windows Vista was better than 90% of the crap being pushed out now.

Now this Google.

*cough cough*

Before you know it'll be back to working on 80x40 monochrome displays like in the good ol' days :D

I don't like what they are doing, they need to knock it off. The image search is totally screwed up now. They look like yahoo for crying out loud. And the fonts are all changed. Don't change what isn't broken.

It's pathetic that this is being reported all over the place like it is real important news. It's a fucking logo, I don't give a shit about it.

Yahoo's image search works awesome. Google screwed up. I've been loyal up until now, but this is a nogo. I've now switched.

Back