WD Red Pro Drives Now Available In 6TB

HardOCP News

[H] News
WD®, a Western Digital® company, and world leader in storage solutions, today announced the expansion of its award-winning WD Red Pro hard drive line with the release of 5 TB and 6 TB capacities. The WD Red Pro family is ideal for NAS (network attached storage) systems having up to 16 drive bays and serving businesses with more expansive storage needs than the standard WD Red drives.

Shipping now, WD Red Pro 5 and 6 TB drives leverage an enhanced design and 128 MB cache to deliver data transfer rates of 214 megabytes per second (MB/s). WD’s NASware™ 3.0 features technology promoting data protection, high NAS performance and reliable integration.

Bigger is great and I wonder how big they will get before platter based drives just go away and are replaced by solid state (or something better).

Bigger is great and I wonder how big they will get before platter based drives just go away and are replaced by solid state (or something better).

Replacing platter drives with SSD isn't just about capacity though, it's about price. 6TB of solid state costs a BOATLOAD more than one of these new 6TB Red Pros. Solid state has a ways to go before it can match the economy of scale that platter drives have.

The MSRP of that 6TB Red Pro really impressed me, it's not that much more than the regular 6TB Red, I'll definitely be giving them a look when building my next NAS.

So is newegg going per personally take each drive out of the oem shipping box, drop it on the floor a few times, and then ship it to me in bubble wrap, like they do with the rest of the red line?

Platter drives will never go away so long as density is cheaper. Tape is still around, for crying out loud. Not every application requires the read and write speed of a SSD.

So is newegg going per personally take each drive out of the oem shipping box, drop it on the floor a few times, and then ship it to me in bubble wrap, like they do with the rest of the red line?

I heard through the blog I pretend to write that the drop process is too time consuming and unreliable as there were a lot of slackers that were kicking drives instead of dropping them. NewEgg now has a machine that automatically unwraps, mishandles, and then bubble wraps all hard drives. Getting rid of those pesky humans makes the experience of buying pre-broken storage devices from NewEgg a much more consistent customer purchase experience.

Platter drives will never go away so long as density is cheaper. Tape is still around, for crying out loud. Not every application requires the read and write speed of a SSD.

I agree with your sentiment about density/price. I also see that advantage eroding due to factors like economy of scale (for solid state) and physical density limitations on the platters eventually causing them to top out at some capacity point. I don't see platter drives sticking like tape has.

Tapes have a specific niche purpose and that is physical and (generally) offline backups. I don't see platters having a niche role once prices go down and capacities go up on solid state units.

I agree with your sentiment about density/price. I also see that advantage eroding due to factors like economy of scale (for solid state) and physical density limitations on the platters eventually causing them to top out at some capacity point. I don't see platter drives sticking like tape has.

Tapes have a specific niche purpose and that is physical and (generally) offline backups. I don't see platters having a niche role once prices go down and capacities go up on solid state units.
True, but VNAND currently has its own physical and electrical limitations on capacity, and I don't think the price per GB of a SSD will ever get as low as HDD as prices in both mediums continue to fall. While tape has carved out its own niche where it can thrive, I don't yet see a point in the majority consumer space where SSD will overtake HDD in adoption rate.

SSD prices will definitely drop as we have seen in the last couple of years. But for me, read and write speed aren't biggest concerns as far as SSDs. For me it's the small form factor that takes priority. I've done away with 3.5" drives in all my systems. They take too much space and generate unnecessary heat compared to SSDs.

True, but VNAND currently has its own physical and electrical limitations on capacity, and I don't think the price per GB of a SSD will ever get as low as HDD as prices in both mediums continue to fall. While tape has carved out its own niche where it can thrive, I don't yet see a point in the majority consumer space where SSD will overtake HDD in adoption rate.

I believe what is going to happen is desktop units are going to see a decline in sales while mobile devices will push the economies of scale for SSD type devices.

To clarify my statement on desktops, I don't believe they are going away but there is no need to refresh as often for the end users and they have reached saturation. A desktop from 2010 does just fine today with any standard office related task. A desktop from 2015 will likely last even longer for general use in terms of ability to perform. Mobile devices on the other hand have not yet reached saturation and are still improving performance in general each new revision.

This is spot-on. The 'LOL spinning drives R going away' brigade really has no clue.

Back