GeForce GTX 980 Ti: The Best For Linux Gamers

HardOCP News

[H] News
The alternative OS gurus at Phoronix say that the best GPU out there right now for Linux gamers is the GeForce GTX 980 Ti.

For the past few weeks I've been extensively testing the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti on Linux and it's been a rather pleasant experience. Compared to the troubles with the R9 Fury on Catalyst Linux, the GTX 980 Ti has been a pleasant experience and yielding terrific results, assuming you're okay with using NVIDIA's proprietary driver.

Yeah.

I did have to download and install drivers for my 980ti's (unusual for linux) as the included ones in my distribution were too old, but once doing that they have been perfect.

They are closed source drivers, and some Linux folks take exception with that, but as far as I'm concerned, I use whatever works.

In their defense, AMD's Open Source drivers ARE much better than Nvidia's, but they don't support the Fury correctly yet apparently, and unlike Nvidia you can't fall back on their closed source drivers as they are awful.

i mean its one of the best cards for windows, so being one of the best cards for linux is not saying much.

i mean its one of the best cards for windows, so being one of the best cards for linux is not saying much.

Having working driver support for both OS's is saying a whole lot. I am guessing youve never tried to play a demanding game on linux with a nice video card. ;)

Isn't Nvidia also supposed to be ahead in their implementation of Vulkan drivers? Odd considering <AMDFanboy mantra> Vulkan is just copied and pasted from Mantle!</AMDFanboy mantra>.

Back