Microsoft Issues Emergency Fix For Windows

HardOCP News

[H] News
For those of you that don't have automatic updates turned on, you might want to go patch your box.

This security update resolves a vulnerability in Microsoft Windows. The vulnerability could allow remote code execution if a user opens a specially crafted document or visits an untrusted webpage that contains embedded OpenType fonts. This security update is rated Critical for all supported releases of Microsoft Windows. For more information, see the Affected Software section.

Fonts? That's pretty clever. I'll give whoever figured that one out props.

True, but Adobe fonts?

Anything Adobe seems to be a goldmine of vulnerabilities.

If fonts had to be come a point of vulnerability, it is not surprising to me that Adobe had a part in it :p :p

Zarathustra[H];1041744692 said:
Also, This further illustrates why NO ONE should be on XP anymore.

While I don't disagree that nobody should be using XP anymore, I'm not sure how this illustrates that. This is a vulnerability that affects ALL Windows platforms both consumer and server versions from Vista/Server 08 to 8.1/Server 2012R2

Because XP is no longer supported, and therefore will have this vulnerability in perpetuity.

My file server updated last night around 3am when I was in bed watching Red Dwarf.
Machine rebooted in the middle up an episode. I turned off the TV and went to sleep since it is an ordeal to get out of bed and walk over to the htpc and reload the episode and then get back into bed.
Been meaning to hook up the IR receiver so I can use my remote to operate the HTPC

My file server updated last night around 3am when I was in bed watching Red Dwarf.
Machine rebooted in the middle up an episode. I turned off the TV and went to sleep since it is an ordeal to get out of bed and walk over to the htpc and reload the episode and then get back into bed.
Been meaning to hook up the IR receiver so I can use my remote to operate the HTPC

Use a *nix file server and this will never happen again :p

As much as people bag Microsoft I have to give it to them for patching their system. Don't think for a second that any other OS is bug or vulnerability free, at least then fix then rather then look the other way.

While I don't disagree that nobody should be using XP anymore, I'm not sure how this illustrates that. This is a vulnerability that affects ALL Windows platforms both consumer and server versions from Vista/Server 08 to 8.1/Server 2012R2

I think he meant that since XP no longer gets updates that it won't get patched, where newer systems will get a patch for the vulnerability. Which is a huge reason to not be on XP.

Back