Automated Vehicle Occupancy Detection Knows Exactly Who's in Your Car

HardOCP News

[H] News
I had no idea so much effort was put into catching people improperly using the car pool lane. If only they had a system like this that caught politicians wasting tax payer money on stupid programs like this.

For years, government agencies have chased technologies that would make it easier to ensure that vehicles in carpool lanes are actually carrying multiple passengers. Perhaps the only reason these systems haven’t garnered much attention is that they haven’t been particularly effective or accurate, as UC Berkeley researchers noted in a 2011 report. Now, an agency in San Diego, Calif. believes it may have found the answer: the Automated Vehicle Passenger Detection system developed by Xerox.

GOOD! This morning I was so pissed that virtually EVERY other car on the Houston HOV lane on HW69 (that is separated only by a double-white line) clearly only had one occupant when they were cars that didn't have back seats (pickups/cargo vans/corvettes/etc) and you could see the passenger seat was empty, because THEY are more important than everyone else who is late for work. :mad:

Personally, I would have supported having a sniper positioned at checkpoints with a thermal scope that could quietly take out those drivers, and all the people that are driving on the shoulder when traffic is gridlocked, and then have a chopper with some guys on ropes descend down and impound the vehicle to be sold off at auction to pay said snipers salaries. Hell, I'd volunteer as I'm a pretty descent shot and would put in the practice needed if given a license. Solve the overpopulation crisis! :p

Maybe they should just build more REGULAR lanes instead of all the social engineering with more expensive carpool lanes? Then they wouldn't need to waste money on enforcement and research projects like this.

Maybe they should just build more REGULAR lanes instead of all the social engineering with more expensive carpool lanes? Then they wouldn't need to waste money on enforcement and research projects like this.
You can never build enough lanes if people are so selfish as to drive massive vehicles in order to ferry themselves individually.

Carpooling benefits everyone, not least of which is not just reducing traffic congestion and smog and reducing oil dependence, but a REALLY big problem lately is PARKING. Carpooling absolutely positively should be rewarded, but its so heavily abused that the carpool lane is almost as slow as the regular lanes, but MIRACULOUSLY empties out when they see a cop in the distance by forcing themselves to merge into the regular lanes crossing a double-white line... oh and did I mention hitting me in the process when I wouldn't let them in? Yup, that happened.

The cops don't work well unless you have barricades in place so people can't just jump on and off whenever they see a cop in the distance, but that is too expensive and also inconvenient since you have to design elaborate offramps/onramps.

HOV lanes are also useful for emergency vehicles like police, fire, and ambulance, and because motorcycles also reduce pollution, gas usage, inner-city parking concerns, congestion and so forth they are also allowed on the HOV and its safer for bikers too since they don't have to worry as much about people merging into them and hitting them.

I think they assume it will be paid for by all the additional fine revenue.

It's all about the revenue. Doesn't have shit to do with safety or HOV.

You can never build enough lanes if people are so selfish as to drive massive vehicles in order to ferry themselves individually.

Carpooling benefits everyone, not least of which is not just reducing traffic congestion and smog and reducing oil dependence, but a REALLY big problem lately is PARKING. Carpooling absolutely positively should be rewarded, but its so heavily abused that the carpool lane is almost as slow as the regular lanes, but MIRACULOUSLY empties out when they see a cop in the distance by forcing themselves to merge into the regular lanes crossing a double-white line... oh and did I mention hitting me in the process when I wouldn't let them in? Yup, that happened.

The cops don't work well unless you have barricades in place so people can't just jump on and off whenever they see a cop in the distance, but that is too expensive and also inconvenient since you have to design elaborate offramps/onramps.

HOV lanes are also useful for emergency vehicles like police, fire, and ambulance, and because motorcycles also reduce pollution, gas usage, inner-city parking concerns, congestion and so forth they are also allowed on the HOV and its safer for bikers too since they don't have to worry as much about people merging into them and hitting them.

Not everyone can carpool, I've yet to ever work a job where carpooling was even remotely viable. I rather appreciate the HOV lanes that I can ride in solo by paying a little more on my EZ pass. Of course I usually know the area's I travel pretty well so if the freeways' get nasty I hop off and pursue alternate routes. I always used to laugh in atlanta when delays on the major routes hit hours long and the side roads were damn near clear.

I think they assume it will be paid for by all the additional fine revenue.

It's all about the revenue. Doesn't have shit to do with safety or HOV.

The revenue justifies it sure, but I have on more than one occasion seen a single person driver in the HOV lane try to merge back in with the very slow moving regular lanes (usually if they see or know of any highway patrol ahead) and that definitely is a safety thing, not so much for the slow moving cars but you have someone traveling at real freeway speeds needs to come to a quick stop because no one is letting that douchenozzle in and there's a stopped vehicle in the HOV lane.

Plus you need to find a way to police HOV lanes or people will absolutely abuse them, especially if they know there's no consequence. Which ends up making the HOV lanes less useful as more single rider cars go into it. And given the amount of HOV lanes in the entire state, having people police them is just not a viable (nor cost effective) solution.

Numerous studies out here in California have shown that building a carpool lane instead of a regular lane INCREASES congestion, which results in more pollution and waste of fuel. The main reason is due to the interruption of traffic as people move into and out of the carpool lanes, and that a regular lane of traffic caries more cars than a carpool lane. In you include the fact that they could usually build 2 regular lanes for the cost/space of a regular carpool lane, it facts get even worse.

Plus, California is currently the biggest market for electric cars, mainly because electric cars can use the carpool lane. This is nothing more than a way for the rich to bypass the traffic congestion that everyone else is forced to sit in. And most of the carpools would still happen, even if they eliminated the carpool lanes.

Think of all the savings if they just eliminated all the special use lanes entirely.

In you include the fact that they could usually build 2 regular lanes for the cost/space of a regular carpool lane, it facts get even worse.
That doesn't occur when all you have is two white lanes on your extra HOV lane instead of a dotted line.

The problem is how do you enforce it, keeping entitled a-holes in single-passenger cars off the HOV lane whenever there is traffic. If you can have a simple system that monitors the vehicles on that lane, that resolves that issue, and again leaves it open for motorcycles, cops, firetrucks, ambulance, and in some cases tow vehicles to service roads when they are congested.

And all of this can be paid for using the revenue of people that break the law with HOV lane usage, which is fine by me!
sfsuphysics said:
Yeah it has nothing to do with the fact California has more licensed drivers than any other state by a LARGE margin.
Probably more unlicensed illegals than anywhere else either.

Not everyone can carpool, I've yet to ever work a job where carpooling was even remotely viable.
Not everyone can, but many people can, or can take public transportation and likewise all the city buses use HOV lanes, and a bus full of 20+ people makes a huge difference.

Developed by Xerox? If you don't have the required number of passengers will it copy you so you do? If so I'm going to hit the carpool lane right now and let my copy can go to work in my place.

All you need is a bunch of mannequins.....

have dummies, will travel.:D

Not everyone can, but many people can, or can take public transportation and likewise all the city buses use HOV lanes, and a bus full of 20+ people makes a huge difference.

Spoken like someone who doesn't live in a car centric area like Southern California.

Around here, most people can't carpool, and public transportation isn't practical for most. For most people, public transportation requires long walks to/from home/work to the few stations/stops, and takes 2-4 times as long as just driving. My 20 minute commute would turn into a multi bus adventure taking me over an hour.

As for that city bus with 20 people, do you realize how much that bus costs taxpayers due to the high level of subsidies provided for mass transit? One of the reasons the roads are in such poor shape is due to the massive amounts of tax money that is used to support public transportation for the < 5% that uses it. If they could triple the number of people using public transportation, there would be no money left to fix the roads, even for the busses.

Around here, most people can't carpool, and public transportation isn't practical for most.
Most? Who cares about most. If most people used the HOV lane, it wouldn't be faster than the regular lanes. LOL! :rolleyes:

carpool lanes are dumb on ever account. if you going to build a road open it to every one. the problem is our city's are built wrong and theirs not much space to build new lanes in a lot of places and where they is they don't want to spend the money to do it right.

Spoken like someone who doesn't live in a car centric area like Southern California.
I live in the SF Bay area, where commuting via public transit is very often viable. Does it take longer than driving if there's zero traffic? Absolutely, but would take me about 30 minutes in the morning due to the time and the reverse commute direction, would take me sometimes 3 times that coming back in the evening around commute time where there was no such thing as reverse commute direction.

Around here, most people can't carpool, and public transportation isn't practical for most.
Do find it funny though as many people on these boards saying they'd move for fiber internet, yet have to move to be closer to your job (or more conveniently located) oh no fuck that I have a car for that reason.

carpool lanes are dumb on ever account. if you going to build a road open it to every one. the problem is our city's are built wrong and theirs not much space to build new lanes in a lot of places and where they is they don't want to spend the money to do it right.

The problem is a lot of highways were built before there was a real need for them. Over the past 20 years California's population (that can be accounted via the census) increased by 10 million people. 20% increase in population where I live, and much more of an increase in the number of jobs here, people simply live farther away (not in this immediate area) and do a 2-3 hour commute each direction, on a 2 lane highway that was never meant for commuting large numbers of cars... guess what happens when you do?

Do find it funny though as many people on these boards saying they'd move for fiber internet, yet have to move to be closer to your job (or more conveniently located) oh no fuck that I have a car for that reason.
Or don't even move, and just buy a scooter to get to work. You can park six scooters in the space that fits one suburban, and its difficult to find scooters that don't get at least 50mpg in the city and cost next to nothing compared to cars.

Take say a 2014 Honda Forza for $3800 and ride the HOV to work that does 68mpg and does up to 85mph on the highway; or if scooters are too gay then get a Honda NC700X manual transmission for $6000.

scooter-parking-thumb-550x400-2080.jpg

Now imagine if each scooter there, which some may be transporting him and her couples, were an individual car... oy!

Or don't even move, and just buy a scooter to get to work. You can park six scooters in the space that fits one suburban, and its difficult to find scooters that don't get at least 50mpg in the city and cost next to nothing compared to cars.

Take say a 2014 Honda Forza for $3800 and ride the HOV to work that does 68mpg and does up to 85mph on the highway; or if scooters are too gay then get a Honda NC700X manual transmission for $6000.

Now imagine if each scooter there, which some may be transporting him and her couples, were an individual car... oy!

Literally the only problem I have with that is if I get hit for any reason, even with a helmet, there's a 99.9% chance I'm dead. Full stop.

The system claims to have a 95 to 99 percent accuracy rate. That means somewhere between 1 in 100 to 1 in 20 errors. Scale that up to a corridor that moves 100,000 cars a day and you are going to have an awful lot of false positives.

The system claims to have a 95 to 99 percent accuracy rate. That means somewhere between 1 in 100 to 1 in 20 errors. Scale that up to a corridor that moves 100,000 cars a day and you are going to have an awful lot of false positives.
100,000 cars a day? Jesus Christ, what road is this? Houston is the 10th largest city in the world, and our biggest toll road services 24,000 cars a day.

Simply having a few low level police officers flagging over the vehicles marked with 95-99% probability of illegally driving on the HOV lane to issue citations or release in the rare cases of a false-positive is very easy to manage.

And you don't have to get EVERY single person that violates the HOV. If you issue $250 fines to 10% of the violators on any given day, then that means habitual abusers have a near 100% chance of being caught after just 10 illegal trips on the HOV, or just two-weeks commuting worth of cheating.

With such a high probability of having to pay out the ass, people would VERY quickly learn that illegally driving in the HOV lane is far more expensive than they can afford to risk and will stop doing it. For those that continue to do it because they are rich, I imagine racking up points on their license would bring that to an end soon enough as well.

Within 2-3 years of that, I can't see more than 1-2% of the HOV traffic being illegal.

I live in the SF Bay area, where commuting via public transit is very often viable.

I live 6 miles from work, and my commute is around 20 minutes due to city traffic & long lights. Due to the limited bus routes, any commute by bus would cover over twice that distance, and likely take almost an hour.

I drive a Hybrid Camry, and average about 35mpg. Even driving it like I stole it (decent 200 HP), it still averages over 30 MPG. While that's less than the rated mileage due to the short commute, it's almost double what I used to get from a non hybrid Camry. Due the decent sized gas tank, I usually go 6-8 weeks between fill ups, so my gas costs are minimal. Some people would suggest an electric car would be better, but I also take occasional long trips, so I'd have to have 2 cars. The cost of buying/insuring 2 cars and the high cost of electricity makes buying a single hybrid cheaper.

I think the solution is just to make the penalty higher, get in the carpool lane and see a $1500 ticket and watch how many people self regulate. The problem I have experienced is when you have really busy roads police don't want to enforce anything on them because the act of pulling people over causes more congestion. Throw a couple points on their license that jack up their insurance and you won't have a problem.

You know how I would help the USA get better? I would get rid of ALL mass public transportation systems. They suck and they are a joke. I would pour that money back into roads. You know what mass transit is about? You subsidize mass transit so you can push poor people out of the big city when they aren't working but bring them in to do cheap labor. Get rid of mass transit and the big cities will be forced to either increase wages to compensate or correct their over priced housing so poor labor can work in the city, or simply see people give up trying and spread out more. I bet you never heard a politician put it that way though but that's the truth about what it is, because there are almost no mass transit systems in the USA that run the way they should which is ENTIRELY off of passenger fares. You should never have to vote on any tax that does anything with mass transit. Nope most of them needs tax payers to subsidize them, ask yourself if mass transit is so flipping efficient then why does it need to be subsidized?

Problem with this example is the simple fact that EU != US when it comes to city layouts and traffic patterns. For a large percentage of the populace a scooter isn't viable on any level. That is the entire crux of the argument is that it tries to argue from a bubble perfect case scenario which just isn't true in most cases. Up here in NY state for example, riding a scooter or even a motorcycle is at best something you can do 4-5 months out of the year. The rest of the time not having all wheel drive in some form is a huge risk. So at that point you aren't really saving anything. The major factor is that when you consider many US States are bigger than most EU countries, living close to your work just isn't a reasonable argument. Perfect world sure, but this isn't.

Just make sure you buy a burial plot at the same time to avoid being a burden on your family after you get ran over by someone in that Suburban.

I used to ride a motorcycle years ago (although at 50 mpg, it's not really that much better than a Hybrid), but sold it after one to many close calls. Just not worth risking my life. There are too many people on the road that don't see anything smaller than a compact car, and when they run into you, it's pretty much over. Same goes for bikes, unless you have an off street bike trail you can take.

Problem with this example is the simple fact that EU != US when it comes to city layouts and traffic patterns. For a large percentage of the populace a scooter isn't viable on any level. That is the entire crux of the argument is that it tries to argue from a bubble perfect case scenario which just isn't true in most cases. Up here in NY state for example, riding a scooter or even a motorcycle is at best something you can do 4-5 months out of the year. The rest of the time not having all wheel drive in some form is a huge risk. So at that point you aren't really saving anything. The major factor is that when you consider many US States are bigger than most EU countries, living close to your work just isn't a reasonable argument. Perfect world sure, but this isn't.

The EU is nearly identical to the USA in weather. I live in MI about as north as it gets and the more north you go they less 4 wheel drive you see, why? because the no 4 wheel drive will save you on slick roads or give you through heavy snow, the roads are either plowed and you can goto work or they aren't and you can't. You deal with it, the difference really just that Americans can and will afford to buy bigger nicer cars. Maybe because gas has typically been cheaper here. The same holds true for living close to work most Americans could live close to work but if they did that it might mean they don't get to live in a 4000 sq foot McMansion. And if more Americans cared to live near work more places of work would relocated to be closer to cheaper living. I know an obscene number of Americans in MI, of all places where the cost of living is dirt low and homes can be purchased for less than a motorcycle that still choose to commute 1+ hours to work for various reason. Just because a state is big doesn't mean anything other than there is more empty farm land and over sized lots with people mowing a whole acre for their own enjoyment. It brings the prices down on property which means we can afford to consume more gas.

Its also worth mentioning that we aren't just talking about scooters here, there are many other smaller vehicles Americans could choose and there are many laws that could be changed to make smaller vehicles more accessible. For instance look up Elio motors and the how much work needed to be done to get that vehicle to the point where you could legally drive without a helmet in most states. There is a huge amount of regulatory burden on car makers that inflates the size of cars. And if that isn't bad enough tons of people are buying SUVs for a 3 person family.

Once again the only thing that would significantly change that is higher gas prices or lower incomes which would force people to make different decisions. Give the euros our same low gas and property prices and they would start buying escalades too.

I've never understood why they made these. Say you've got 3 lanes, you make two more, one is useless the other is exclusive. Wouldn't it just have been better off to use all 5 lanes?

I'm ok with an automated carpool or HOV system ticketing the driver.

Ducman69 is right about Houston. There is continuous daily abuse of the system all freakin' day. I did try the motorcycle route for a while, but I could never get over the fear that I was always just about to die. It didn't help seeing a motorcyclist dead less than a few minutes after the incident.

The EU is nearly identical to the USA in weather. I live in MI about as north as it gets and the more north you go they less 4 wheel drive you see, why? because the no 4 wheel drive will save you on slick roads or give you through heavy snow, the roads are either plowed and you can goto work or they aren't and you can't. You deal with it, the difference really just that Americans can and will afford to buy bigger nicer cars. Maybe because gas has typically been cheaper here. The same holds true for living close to work most Americans could live close to work but if they did that it might mean they don't get to live in a 4000 sq foot McMansion. And if more Americans cared to live near work more places of work would relocated to be closer to cheaper living. I know an obscene number of Americans in MI, of all places where the cost of living is dirt low and homes can be purchased for less than a motorcycle that still choose to commute 1+ hours to work for various reason. Just because a state is big doesn't mean anything other than there is more empty farm land and over sized lots with people mowing a whole acre for their own enjoyment. It brings the prices down on property which means we can afford to consume more gas.

Its also worth mentioning that we aren't just talking about scooters here, there are many other smaller vehicles Americans could choose and there are many laws that could be changed to make smaller vehicles more accessible. For instance look up Elio motors and the how much work needed to be done to get that vehicle to the point where you could legally drive without a helmet in most states. There is a huge amount of regulatory burden on car makers that inflates the size of cars. And if that isn't bad enough tons of people are buying SUVs for a 3 person family.

Once again the only thing that would significantly change that is higher gas prices or lower incomes which would force people to make different decisions. Give the euros our same low gas and property prices and they would start buying escalades too.

Funny, I see more all wheel drive cars here in upstate NY than I have anywhere else. Also in my frequent trips to PA, Ohio and Vermont it's basically the same. I disagree that EU deals with the same weather as they don't deal with a little thing that is exclusive to us called "Lake effect snow". That little thing that is rather unique to extremely large bodies of fresh water like the great lakes. At least up in this region the roads being plowed aren't if you go to work or not. I've driven to work with 6"+ of snow on the road and it coming down hard and the only reason was all wheel drive. That largely being due to lake effect making it impossible for the plows to keep the roads fully cleared. Either way you aren't riding any of these little dinky vehicles to work most of the year around here. There is a reason you don't see "smart cars" or fiats around here.

As for living closer to work, not everyone likes living in the city. As for house size you are honestly exaggerating quite a bit. The average american doesn't live in anywhere close to 4000 sq ft. As for gas prices, I'm sure some EU might but the reality is most still wouldn't. As I mentioned their cities are FAR smaller as far as city streets go and larger vehicles are more of a burden. Have you actually ever driven around EU? or even watched Top gear for that matter? Their cities are nothing like ours. Tiny cars make sense there even ignoring gas as a factor. Tiny cars here only make sense for a very small percentage of the population. They are a flat out death trap on our freeway system. That is also why we have all the regulations on them. They are regulated over what is considered the average operating environment and that is our freeway system. In most cases those things are only built to withstand city speed type accidents as anything else will kill you. Everytime I see one of those dinky little things on a freeway doing 70+ all I can think is they are just suicidal.

Funny, I see more all wheel drive cars here in upstate NY than I have anywhere else. Also in my frequent trips to PA, Ohio and Vermont it's basically the same. I disagree that EU deals with the same weather as they don't deal with a little thing that is exclusive to us called "Lake effect snow". That little thing that is rather unique to extremely large bodies of fresh water like the great lakes. At least up in this region the roads being plowed aren't if you go to work or not. I've driven to work with 6"+ of snow on the road and it coming down hard and the only reason was all wheel drive. That largely being due to lake effect making it impossible for the plows to keep the roads fully cleared. Either way you aren't riding any of these little dinky vehicles to work most of the year around here. There is a reason you don't see "smart cars" or fiats around here.

As for living closer to work, not everyone likes living in the city. As for house size you are honestly exaggerating quite a bit. The average american doesn't live in anywhere close to 4000 sq ft. As for gas prices, I'm sure some EU might but the reality is most still wouldn't. As I mentioned their cities are FAR smaller as far as city streets go and larger vehicles are more of a burden. Have you actually ever driven around EU? or even watched Top gear for that matter? Their cities are nothing like ours. Tiny cars make sense there even ignoring gas as a factor. Tiny cars here only make sense for a very small percentage of the population. They are a flat out death trap on our freeway system. That is also why we have all the regulations on them. They are regulated over what is considered the average operating environment and that is our freeway system. In most cases those things are only built to withstand city speed type accidents as anything else will kill you. Everytime I see one of those dinky little things on a freeway doing 70+ all I can think is they are just suicidal.

Those people are called yuppies, ya there are a lot of ignorant folks who think you need 4 wheel drive to deal with snow, but the reality is 4 wheel drive will only come in useful in very few situations anyone who actually deals with these conditions easily avoids and its not worth buying a completely different or far more expensive car just in the off chance that situation comes up. Go up into the UP or past the snow belt in MI and people drive what they can afford and do just fine doing it. And quite often that's just an econobox. I drive it all and always have and I have never owned a single 4 wheel drive car in my life. I even know people who use motorcycles in all this, it requires you to put on a snow suit and bundle up but its totally doable, you can argue its dangerous but when a yuppie soccer mom in a giant SUV is a bad driver a motorcycle is dangerous no matter what the conditions. The problem in America isn't the conditions its the fact we have so many astronomically big vehicles on the road by pure statistics and physics its makes it way less safe for people in smaller vehicles. The American road is basically an arms race where the richest drive the biggest vehicles and that makes them feel safer because they have tons of metal between them and the next guy. I know its just an anecdote but when I drive I see the most accidents are the big 4 vehicles that often can have 4 wheel drive. Those are the ones slipping out of a drive way onto a road into oncoming traffic. The irony of your argument is most people who have 4 wheel drive do not engage it during driving. they only engage it when they are stuck in the mud or hauling something. I bet half the soccer moms out there who own these vehicles couldn't even figure out how to engage it.

Ironic that the most sensible suggestion comes from the guy named nutzo.

That doesn't occur when all you have is two white lanes on your extra HOV lane instead of a dotted line.

The problem is how do you enforce it, keeping entitled a-holes in single-passenger cars off the HOV lane whenever there is traffic. If you can have a simple system that monitors the vehicles on that lane, that resolves that issue, and again leaves it open for motorcycles, cops, firetrucks, ambulance, and in some cases tow vehicles to service roads when they are congested.

And all of this can be paid for using the revenue of people that break the law with HOV lane usage, which is fine by me!

Probably more unlicensed illegals than anywhere else either.

If my tax money paid for the lanes, I'll use whichever one I damn well please. Keep your social engineering bullshit to private property.

Back