Microsoft Not Charging For Xbox Live Gold On Windows 10

Well if they are starting a marketplace like Steam, then they didn't have a choice. Use our service for $60 a year, or pay nothing on Steam! Not a great value proposition.

What an announcement! They're not changing their policy! It's the same as it's been for years, get excited!

Well if they are starting a marketplace like Steam, then they didn't have a choice. Use our service for $60 a year, or pay nothing on Steam! Not a great value proposition.

That's why the PC master race is superior to console peasants. Competition means you can't charge consumers for things that other services offer for free. If it isn't Steam then it's Origin or GoG.

lol I cant help but think that the reason someone asked this question was to make a side jab at the whole concept of console subscriptions and major nelson fell right into it.

Erm so hold on... there's an Xbox Live for Windows? I mean I saw my Fable and a few other games had some Windows Live or something or other, but I thought that went away entirely? Since when did any Windows have an Xbox Live Gold?

And yeah, generally speaking having a premium service just to play games online is kind of dumb. I don't really play Halo anymore (stopped at 3) so my 360 has been collecting dust and I have no plans of getting a One or any of the other iterations since I'm mostly into stuff like Disgaea, Persona, Tales of, etc. The Xbox generally contains shooters and crap that I'd rather play on PC anyhow. PS4 is a different story as they'll get Disgaea 5. Plus their online play doesn't actually cost anything, and getting PS Plus actually has benefits, like discounts and free games.

Which is another discussion all on its own I guess.

Yeah, microcrap must really be feeling the heat when all of the games in a SteamOS sale run on Windows but not SteamOS/Linux

All of the games on that sale either support GNU/Linux or have confirmed plans to in the next 3-6 months.

All of the games on that sale either support GNU/Linux or have confirmed plans to in the next 3-6 months.

Don't blame him for his lack of reading comprehension, is part of the astroturfing training.

Then again, some fanbois on the wild, had exhibit similar symptoms.

:D

So wait 3 to 6 months to play years old games or play them today. Comprehend this.

So wait 3 to 6 months to play years old games or play them today. Comprehend this.
How would you bring gaming to Linux? This isn't Xbox One where we don't care about older games and backwards compatibility. People won't use SteamOS if you they can't play their old Windows games as well as newer games.

Why game on Linux when we have Windows right? What could possibly go wrong with that?

88b6203ff0e8bc4444722158b84f0f6e1aa201a12769369d65d247c0258512e1.jpg

Oh yea. That almost happened didn't it?

The catch will be that it's a flat out lie and they'll retract that statement later or pretend it never happened.

I know that I'm not supposed to break the rules, but I will feed the troll one more time.

1- Is a clearly indication that the Linux market and SteamOS are growing.
2- Better late than never.
3- Rome wasn't built in one day.
4- I'm personally tired of microcrap's monopoly, 30 years is enough, bring the freedom, baby!

It's GFWL 2.0.
Of course they arent charging, cause GFWL 1.0 almost died(it should have then) when they charged back then.
So now they are playing the same narrative propaganda so people that don't remember get suckered into this shit?
We know this game and we know what happened last time. Go screw off MS.

It's GFWL 2.0.
Of course they arent charging, cause GFWL 1.0 almost died(it should have then) when they charged back then.
So now they are playing the same narrative propaganda so people that don't remember get suckered into this shit?
They never charged for GFWL. I played Shadowrun against XBL people all the time for free.

How would you bring gaming to Linux?

Great question. How do you get developers to develop for tiny markets? Microsoft would love an answer to that as well for its mobile platforms.

One thing I'd say observing the complaints about Windows Phone and its app situation. Older apps in general aren't nearly as important as the latest and greatest and simultaneous release with other platforms is essential. But then the vicious circle comes full and then you're back at market share preventing this.

They never charged for GFWL. I played Shadowrun against XBL people all the time for free.

They most certainly did charge at its inception. Where they had to change policy before the whole thing died.

On July 22, 2008, Microsoft's Chris Satchell, CTO of the company's Entertainment devices division, announced that Games For Windows – Live would be free to developers. Previously, select publishers and developers used the system and had to pay for it. Also, all Games For Windows – Live features were now free for gamers, such as matchmaking and cross-platform play. Satchell added that the move was a "way to improve Windows gaming".

Here, lets remember how awesome GFWL 1.0 was...

After the official announcement of Games for Windows – LIVE, many PC gamers were upset with Microsoft's move to charge PC gamers a fee of $49.99 to use the service. Many PC gamers felt this move was unfair, as playing online and many of the other services GFWL offered has, for the most part, always been free on the PC.[51] Microsoft later began offering the service free of charge, after many complaints from PC gamers were made.

After the announcement that the PC release of Dark Souls would use Games for Windows – LIVE, fans started up a petition to have the game released without the service attached. The online petition gained over 20,000 signatures in 5 days, reflecting a notable public dislike of the service among PC gamers.[52]

Many Grand Theft Auto IV users who bought their game via Steam had trouble activating CD-keys in-game via the integrated Games for Windows Live client.[53][54]

Games available on the Steam service that are also tied to GFWL will sometimes not launch at all without first signing into the GFWL Marketplace client. This is contrary to Microsoft's stated approach of not controlling game access.[citation needed]

In 2010, Microsoft updated the voice codec for Xbox Live. This effectively rendered voice chat nonfunctional in cross-platform games under the service, such as Shadowrun

Yeah I want more of that. Give me a break...

Here, lets remember how awesome GFWL 1.0 was...

Yeah I want more of that. Give me a break...

Hey, Steam sucked as well at one time. Oh well, use what you want but I will move forward, you can stay stuck in the past.

It's GFWL 2.0.

Ahh OK.

Well, if it is ANYTHING AT ALL like GFWL, I will just not buy any game that uses the service.

GFWL was horrible.

Zarathustra[H];1041468889 said:
Ahh OK.

Well, if it is ANYTHING AT ALL like GFWL, I will just not buy any game that uses the service.

GFWL was horrible.

Actually, come to think of it, even if they hit it out of the park and it is great, I probably won't use it.

I HATE having to use different services for different titles.

I will only buy games from one service that utilize one service. I want everything to integrate, launch and update from the same application. I don't own anything that relies on Origin, and I don't plan on getting anything out of this new Microsoft contraption.

We need a single unified user experience for ALL titles, and right now that is Steam. If Microsoft wants to change this, they would need to supplant steam and provide ALL the titles Steam does and do it better.

I will absolutely not have a mishmash of services, some to launch and coordinate some games, and others to launch and coordinate others. If a game uses this Xbox Live system I simply will not buy it, no matter what it is.

Hey, Steam sucked as well at one time. Oh well, use what you want but I will move forward, you can stay stuck in the past.

You will notice that my examples were all emotional/political stupidity caused by MS and their own decisions. So, "Steam sucked at one time" because it was new and buggy, is completely irrelevant cause thats not the point at all.

This isn't a matter of how many clients I must have running or I want all my games in one store. No, this is straight up a TRUST issue, which MS pissed away with their last attempt.

That's why the PC master race is superior to console peasants. Competition means you can't charge consumers for things that other services offer for free. If it isn't Steam then it's Origin or GoG.

QFT. The only reason I still bother with consoles is because of exclusives that I want to play. I finished with all the ones I wanted to play last gen on 360, then sold that and promptly got a PS3.

QFST! Once an argument delves into putting down others, it loses all credibility. That makes the point invalid although it pretty much already was.

Ive bought 3 games from steam that used gfwl.

None of them play now. I never even got around to playing two of them.

Also the windows 8 xbox app doesnt support the 720p tv mounted on the wall in the bathroom across from the toilet. And I have no fucking clue how to get the xbox music app to play the flac files from skyrim, a game on xbox.

QFT. The only reason I still bother with consoles is because of exclusives that I want to play. I finished with all the ones I wanted to play last gen on 360, then sold that and promptly got a PS3.

i barely have enough time to play PC games, I don't have time to waste with console games.

Also the windows 8 xbox app doesnt support the 720p tv mounted on the wall in the bathroom across from the toilet. And I have no fucking clue how to get the xbox music app to play the flac files from skyrim, a game on xbox.

Wait... Wait...

You play games.... On the toilet? :confused::eek::confused::eek:

i barely have enough time to play PC games, I don't have time to waste with console games.

Ditto. I don't even buy ports, except for in very rare circumstances where they are well made.

Generally my game buying priorities go something like this:

1.) PC Exclusive, or PC Primary later ported to other platforms

Pretty likely to be interested.

2.) Titles codeveloped for PC and other platforms.

If the title is good and hasn't been due.bed down to console levels, I might be interested, but likely not.

3.) Ports to PC from consoles or other platforms.

Very, very unlikely to ever buy. There have been one or two over the years, I deemed wellade enough, but this is very rare.

4.) Exclusives to any non PC platform.

Will never buy under any circumstance.

Back