Google’s Time At The Top May Be Nearing Its End

HardOCP News

[H] News
The New York Times seems to think Google's time at the top might be coming to an end.

And like those companies before it, its strength today — a seemingly endless reservoir of ads next to search results — may turn out to be its weakness tomorrow. “I’m not saying that Google is going to go away, just as Microsoft didn’t go away,” said Ben Thompson, a tech analyst who writes the blog Stratechery. “It’s just that Google will miss out on what’s next.”

I remember more than a few 'Analysts' at one point were claiming "Apple" was on the way down five years ago. Meanwhile Apple has been going up 5**% in the last five years. So unless the New York Times has a crystal ball hidden up their asshole they should just shut the fuck up, kindly.

Lets all go fishing...I have bait.

Google hasn't demonstrated anything close to even half the pigheadedness and shortsightedness he makes to his Microsoft analogy. In addition to them being an absolute tech giant, they've proven for a long time that they're very adaptable and anticipatory of change.

So yeah, I think this guy doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about and is just trying to get clicks from making a contrarian headline.

Google won't miss out on what's next, they'll just buy it like they always do.

I feel like Google is a company that doesn't even deserve half of the money it earns, based on how it regularly shits away ideas and is incapable of keeping good ones afloat.

Replace 'Google' with 'New York Times', and 'search results' with 'shitty editorials' and you get a much more accurate article.

Although Google hasn't always capitalized on their technologies I certainly wouldn't write them off just yet ... also, like Apple they are sitting on large cash reserves that would allow them to purchase companies to fill their product gaps ... there are still plenty of areas that Google could expand into:

- they could more aggressively pursue the OS market and start actively pushing Chrome as an alternative to Windows and OSX
- they could offer Netflix/Prime style subscriptions from YouTube to compete in the streaming market
- they could expand their music offerings or buy a company like Pandora
- they could move into the digital game sales market and offer a competitor to Origin/Steam or buy one of the smaller companies
- given the large number of recent data breaches they could offer a centralized secure data center to host all the information needed by the financial and health care companies
- they could refocus on the much more lucrative Enterprise markets rather than just the very fickle Consumer markets

still lots of room for them to grow into and they still have lots of money and talent to do it ;)

The only thing that will kill Google is when their mindshare disappears.

Google must be having problems because they keep sending me ads to install trojan adware. They keep telling me good car insurance will make me look better too. Google is keeping it classy.

If anything, the NY Times is on its way out. The Internet and social media has made hard newspapers irrelevant.

Replace 'Google' with 'New York Times', and 'search results' with 'shitty editorials' and you get a much more accurate article.

I'm a pretty liberal guy, but their bend over backwards to appease the race baiters was enough for me to cancel my subscription. I don't see google going away any time soon.

Bing Rewards made me convert over hell if they want to give me Gift cards just for searching....

I think that is BS... Computers will soon become connected even for software.. MS is making the big moves there (cloud computing hogwash, and yearly pay software).. I don't think Google is out in anyway, but honestly I am a bit surprised they have yet to deliver big-thinking complete solutions for enterprise... can they do it?.. As much as I like Android, I don't think that's a good foundation.

Large companies don't have to innovate, they can just buy-out innovators to make them part of the Borg collective.

I was once told by a group of friends that are stock analysts that Google's IPO was a terrible deal because they didn't have liquid assets. I remind them about that every time they get on their high horses.

If anything, the NY Times is on its way out. The Internet and social media has made hard newspapers irrelevant.

That will be a sad day. The internet erupts in rage over Brian Williams; just wait until there are 25,000 of them on "social media" embellishing their stories every day. Oh wait, we're pretty much there already. :(

Google hasn't demonstrated anything close to even half the pigheadedness and shortsightedness he makes to his Microsoft analogy. In addition to them being an absolute tech giant, they've proven for a long time that they're very adaptable and anticipatory of change.

So yeah, I think this guy doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about and is just trying to get clicks from making a contrarian headline.

I agree totally that using MS as an analogy here is wrong, however I think the article has valid points. Google has failed to make money from anything other than ads. They keep spending more to keep that share of the market and grow it slightly. In contrast, there other success is android, which they have structured in a manner that makes it hard for them to make money on it, and gmail/google apps, which much like every other similar cloud offering is losing money hand over fist. Unlike every other cloud offering, google's stock is basically worthless for making them do anything about that, so the risk as far as I can tell, is in making the stock worthless.

This year has brought about a lot of financial types taking the various cloud service providers to task demanding honest, open accounting of those divisions and a plan to profitability, or to get out of those businesses.

Google's latest bouts of behavior regarding technology do have the appearance of getting into the actual business of doing business with people who make and sell goods and services in other than an advertising capacity, but I doubt most of them will foster growth in a manner to make their stock look as amazing as it is valued. I you are referring to their stock when you say google, which financial people usually are, then yeah I'd still see it as riskier than the market has been treating that pile of no-vote allowed crap.

As a company that does something, I'm pretty sure they fall someplace in between HP and IBM in terms of being able to absorb stupid decisions and still be able to keep the doors open and lights on doing something.

Microsoft, Google, Apple and Facebook aren't going anywhere no mater how hard you wish, so learn to deal with it.

Although Google hasn't always capitalized on their technologies I certainly wouldn't write them off just yet ... also, like Apple they are sitting on large cash reserves that would allow them to purchase companies to fill their product gaps ... there are still plenty of areas that Google could expand into:

- they could more aggressively pursue the OS market and start actively pushing Chrome as an alternative to Windows and OSX
- they could offer Netflix/Prime style subscriptions from YouTube to compete in the streaming market
- they could move into the digital game sales market and offer a competitor to Origin/Steam or buy one of the smaller companies
- given the large number of recent data breaches they could offer a centralized secure data center to host all the information needed by the financial and health care companies
- they could refocus on the much more lucrative Enterprise markets rather than just the very fickle Consumer markets

still lots of room for them to grow into and they still have lots of money and talent to do it ;)

expand their music offerings or buy a company like Pandora

buy a company like Pandora

-YES

Microsoft, Google, Apple and Facebook aren't going anywhere no mater how hard you wish, so learn to deal with it.

I agree with you for the most part, but don't forget how fast Myspace fell. Major companies can crash.

I agree totally that using MS as an analogy here is wrong, however I think the article has valid points. Google has failed to make money from anything other than ads. They keep spending more to keep that share of the market and grow it slightly. In contrast, there other success is android, which they have structured in a manner that makes it hard for them to make money on it, and gmail/google apps, which much like every other similar cloud offering is losing money hand over fist. Unlike every other cloud offering, google's stock is basically worthless for making them do anything about that, so the risk as far as I can tell, is in making the stock worthless.

This year has brought about a lot of financial types taking the various cloud service providers to task demanding honest, open accounting of those divisions and a plan to profitability, or to get out of those businesses.

Google's latest bouts of behavior regarding technology do have the appearance of getting into the actual business of doing business with people who make and sell goods and services in other than an advertising capacity, but I doubt most of them will foster growth in a manner to make their stock look as amazing as it is valued. I you are referring to their stock when you say google, which financial people usually are, then yeah I'd still see it as riskier than the market has been treating that pile of no-vote allowed crap.

As a company that does something, I'm pretty sure they fall someplace in between HP and IBM in terms of being able to absorb stupid decisions and still be able to keep the doors open and lights on doing something.
Well you say they've failed to make money on anything besides ads, but it's harder to measure how much MORE ad money they make BECAUSE of their "loss" products. I mean how many people use Gmail, Youtube, Chrome, or Android? It sort of indoctrinates people into the Google ecosystem, which makes ads easier to push through. You talk about how Android makes it harder to monetize anything, but look at how effective that has been at undermining the efforts of Apple and Microsoft for having a dominant mobile marketshare. If THOSE companies were more successful in that space, then THEY would have more opportunity to call the shots on their platforms, which could include how ads are handled. Android essentially kneecaps that and keeps Google as relevant as ever. It's likely a highly effective long term strategy rather than a quarter to quarter growth thing.

I guess my bigger point is Google has a history of throwing money at innovating projects. There have been a lot of dead ends, but this mentality of funneling a certain amount back into projects with potential is the sort of behavior that keeps a company adaptable to change and sometimes even ahead of the curve. It has a lot of failures, but it's sort of a future insurance policy as well. Doesn't mean I don't think Google Glass is stupid though.

google offers huge farms of systems so you can move your applications to the cloud. Even some gaming services are using google farms for distributed hosting.

Back