China Requires Real Names For Internet Accounts

HardOCP News

[H] News
Imagine what it would be like here if you had to use your real names to have access to the internet. :eek:

Starting March 1st, residents will have to register internet accounts (including on blogs, chat services and social networks) using their real names. They won't have to display a real name, but they can't create a completely anonymous ID. It'll also be illegal to impersonate other people or organizations, and neither your avatar nor your nickname can include illegal content -- including something that "subverts state power" or promotes "rumormongering."

Harsh. The only time I think about something drastic like this is seeing trolls take over online discussions.

I wonder how they'll enforce this. I mean what happens if people simply don't register properly?

Harsh. The only time I think about something drastic like this is seeing trolls take over online discussions.

Even in those situations I think it is far better to have moderators or the site operators police the issue. This really isn't anything shocking coming from China though. Things will get really interesting when a policy like this starts being debated in Congress.

Imagine what it would be like here if you had to use your real names to have access to the internet. :eek:

ANY government would love to do that without hesitation including that one of the land of the free, home of the brave. and noone would give a shit about that if they got a discount on their next iphone.

Zarathustra[H];1041406131 said:
There already is.

Luckily enough, the average Chinese internet user seems to have figured out how to use encrypted free proxies, to circumvent enforcement of anything like this.

Oh I know, but this clearly shows they're re-upping it. Their new chairman has also significantly increased more traditional propaganda throughout the country as well, I've read, posters, signs, etc.

And as for trolling; I don't know. I still see people post some heinous bullshit on news articles requiring facebook logins. Dude/woman with their kid in the profile photo spouting all kinds of racism, hate speech, etc. Some people just don't give a fuck (or know anything, probably hand in hand).

Oh I know, but this clearly shows they're re-upping it. Their new chairman has also significantly increased more traditional propaganda throughout the country as well, I've read, posters, signs, etc.

And as for trolling; I don't know. I still see people post some heinous bullshit on news articles requiring facebook logins. Dude/woman with their kid in the profile photo spouting all kinds of racism, hate speech, etc. Some people just don't give a fuck (or know anything, probably hand in hand).

Sure trolling and hate speech will still happen, but it would be far less if people had to post it under their real name.

Google is trying to do the same thing.

The worst thing I ever did was sign up for Google+ because those bastards are ALWAYS asking me to tie my YouTube account to it and display my real name on YouTube.

One of the last places I want my real name is YouTube.

Stupid fucks.

Definitely, the Trolls balls seem to fall off, when they have to use their actual names.

I don’t believe Americans have really questioned the authenticity of their freedom, because we are grateful for the illusion of freedom. We compare our existence to that of developing countries believing that we are much better off. American is in denial about our ever restricted freedom and justify it as a necessity to impose wars on others.

Definitely, the Trolls balls seem to fall off, when they have to use their actual names.

It's a mixed bag.

Anonymity has many downsides (including trolling) but it is also the thing that has made the Internet great and able to drive change the way it has.

As much as I hate trolling, I would never sacrifice online anonymity to kill it.

Zarathustra[H];1041406364 said:
As much as I hate trolling, I would never sacrifice online anonymity to kill it.
You sure? Because damn, having to think twice about saying anything for fear that it might be data-mined by thieves, con-men, and scammers, or else seen by neighbors, friends, family, spouses, insurance companies, lenders, employers, and governments for aaall eternity would surely be worth never having to be offended by someone I don't know. :D

Wait...you guys think you are anonymous on the internet in the States?

South Korea had this ages ago... with social security numbers.

Wait...you guys think you are anonymous on the internet in the States?

I doubt anyone here does, but I'd be willing to bet that most people do.

Hell, it's amazing how many people that think their activities on a company computer, on a company owned network is totally private and anonymous as well.

LOL @ people comparing freedom in the USA vs. freedom in third world countries.

You guys really don't know how good you have it.

I doubt anyone here does, but I'd be willing to bet that most people do.

Hell, it's amazing how many people that think their activities on a company computer, on a company owned network is totally private and anonymous as well.
What's my name?

Maybe I'm not anonymous to a determined government agency, but there are layers.

Info can be collected, but it takes effort, this would make it effortless.
Some info still requires a warrant to be actionable in court, this would make that unnecessary.

I'm also less likely to be reported by my fellow patrons to the House of pro-american activities.

And then theres is a layer where political zealots would like to identify their opposition so they spit on them in front of their family at a restaurant, make false calls to their spouses or employers, and generally socially lynch them. Not to mention all the businesses that would love to track me.

Back