Microsoft Planning Windows 10 Event For January

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to The Verge, Microsoft is planning a Windows 10 event for January.

Microsoft is planning to detail the consumer features of Windows 10 at an event in January. While Microsoft will be present at the Consumer Electronics Show in early January, sources familiar with the company’s plans tell The Verge that Microsoft will hold a separate press event in late January to unveil the consumer preview of Windows 10. Microsoft previously promised "early 2015" for a discussion on consumer features, and it appears the company is on track.

Wish they would just release it already. W10 is fantastic and it's the detergent that will wipe clean the shit stain that W8 left in Microsoft's underwear.

I'd be happy if they went back to windows instead of panes. But, I guess they need to keep the handheld people happy.

W10 is a good departure from Win 8/8.1, and I like the latter too.

MS didn't give normal users any hints as to how the thing was supposed to work. That along with the Pro-Apple bullshitters and you have yourself a Vista-like hate parade going.

8/8.1 wasn't that bad, but don't ask the assholes who "write" for a living... they still haven't used either OS.

So Windows 8.1 is apparently the worst OS ever, but Windows 10 is amazing.

Let's take a step back for a second and think about how fucking stupid that sounds.

Wish they would just release it already. W10 is fantastic and it's the detergent that will wipe clean the shit stain that W8 left in Microsoft's underwear.

serously? lets hope so but i dont have high hopes... :D

Let's take a step back for a second and think about how fucking stupid that sounds.

This is just how it tends to work. Unpopular Windows releases are never that bad and popular never that good. And generally the things that are problematic items in unpopular Windows releases aren't tossed in future releases, the issues are simply fixed. As much as modern apps and the Start Screen have been maligned, the essence of all of these things will be in 10. Microsoft isn't abandoning hybrid computing but trying to make it better.

Just curious, what exactly have you found so compelling in the Windows 10 preview that makes it so urgent to be released? A start menu?

Going from 7 to 8 was like going from a B Spot Michael Simon burger to a 3 month old decayed Burger King Whopper, then 8 to 10 is like going from that decayed Whopper to a Fresh Wendy's Baconator. Just the fact its edible and not a heaping pile of shit is good enough to call it "Amazing."
Its a cycle, the reason every other MS OS sucks ass then the next one is out of the park, you get lowered expectations and it becomes easier to impress.

This is just how it tends to work. Unpopular Windows releases are never that bad and popular never that good. And generally the things that are problematic items in unpopular Windows releases aren't tossed in future releases, the issues are simply fixed. As much as modern apps and the Start Screen have been maligned, the essence of all of these things will be in 10. Microsoft isn't abandoning hybrid computing but trying to make it better.
Pretty sure i remember Win ME being pretty bad and it was never fixed, not even with a windows ME GOLD edition!. People seem to forget how poor windows XP was for the first 2-3 years it was released or how Vista was pretty good after 3rd party application and driver makers stopped their horrible security practices they got away with XP, Win 8.1 is very usable if you care to learn how to do things over again.

Why should I learn to do things all over again?

That being said, I didn't like Win8. Win 8.1 is less annoying, if only because it bypasses the "start" screen (among other things).

I also will not go back to Win7. Too many small little improvements in the underlying Win8/8.1 to go back (USB3 not crashing on my desktop is a big plus).

good to hear some opinions on Win10, I didn't bother with Win8 for assorted reasons, but my current build is approaching the end of it's upgrade path and I am starting to look at what I need for my next one, Glad that the next OS appears to be something I can live with.

I'd be happy if they went back to windows instead of panes. But, I guess they need to keep the handheld people happy.
They have - check out Win 10. Depending on your hardware, it will default to desktop mode and run Modern/Metro apps within windows. Win10 is promising because MS is stepping back from everything being mobile-first.

Win 10 is definitely better but it's far from ready. In fact they haven't released all of the features yet to even test everything. Everybody needs to chill. No need to rush it since we get to beta test the whole process through the retail release.

There's still a lot of unnecessary UI changes - like having to right click the start menu in order to do a logoff/shutdown. Windows update was a pain in the but to find but I guess Microsoft just wants to push you updates rather than having you pull them. I don't have Windows 10 in front of me at the moment to note all of the weird changes but those are two that I remember. I sometimes wonder if they change where things are just so they have something to test on in their certification programs.

One of the best things Microsoft has going for it is that customers are very familiar with Windows but yet they want to make things arbitrarily different in each major version. Most people want the kernel updates and new features but could do without the moving around of everything. I wish they would just continue to give users their own preference -- I loved the old classic mode in Windows XP. Windows 10 isn't too terrible to buy like Windows 8 was there's still things to gripe about. -- the Windows store is probably another good example of things I could do without.

They have - check out Win 10. Depending on your hardware, it will default to desktop mode and run Modern/Metro apps within windows. Win10 is promising because MS is stepping back from everything being mobile-first.

When I first experienced this my initial reaction was "Good. Finally! Metro's multitasking implementation was terribad." Then I got to looking at that windowed Metro app next to a standard windowed app and my next question was "Why bother having both now that they're essentially the same?" Of course I've only experienced 10 and 8 on a desktop. Maybe it all becomes gold and high-productivity rainbows in tablet land.

"Windows 10: At least it's usable, and you won't have to re-train your grandmother."

"Windows 10: At least it's usable, and you won't have to re-train your grandmother."

Windows 10: We finally fixed everything™

DL1tBpT.jpg

When I first experienced this my initial reaction was "Good. Finally! Metro's multitasking implementation was terribad." Then I got to looking at that windowed Metro app next to a standard windowed app and my next question was "Why bother having both now that they're essentially the same?" Of course I've only experienced 10 and 8 on a desktop. Maybe it all becomes gold and high-productivity rainbows in tablet land.

Windows marketplace app i assume follows some sort of standard handed down by microsoft when dealing with ui which accounts for touch navigation which a generic application may or may not. Plus the application is handled security wise differently, I think it was a necessary addition into moving to a unified OS between desktop/phone/tablet. Only issue microsoft had was they forced the issue instead of a small iteration based transition. Foot-in-the-door instead of Door-in-the-face technique which seems to be microsoft's style.

Back