Gigabyte 970 G1 Gaming rev 1.0 vs 1.1

n=1

2[H]4U
For those of you interested in Gigabyte's offering of the 970, you may have noticed there's a rev 1.0 and 1.1 listed on Gigabyte's website.

After dealing with my RMA, I asked the tech on the phone about this. He mentioned something about "changed power delivery" but didn't give any details. When I pressed him he just said that's all he heard and he doesn't know more beyond that.

I also asked about the DualBIOS advertised on the box and that there's no switch. He said it's because if the card detects a corrupted bios, it will automatically switch to the backup. He said it's really meant to be a failsafe rather than a means for people to mess around flashing custom bioses.

I'm starting to wonder if rev 1.1 really did something different to the power circuitry. Anecdotally, my old rev 1.0 cards whined like a dolphin at the dentist. My rev 1.1 cards still whine, but it's a lot more tolerable, and once the cards warm up past a certain temp the whining stops completely. Previously with the old rev 1.0 cards they'd just keep whining regardless of what I did. Yeah I know it's probably just luck of draw, but thought I'd just throw something out there.

I actually had the same experience as you with rev 1.0 vs 1.1. I RMA'd my rev 1.0 card since the whine was intolerably loud (I could hear it through my case 3 feet away on top of my case fans...). The rev 1.1 replacement I got still whines a little, but I can't really hear it unless I take the case off and put my head next to it. Not sure if it's coincidence or if they actually fixed the issue.

My rev1.0 whine like crazy for the first hour or so of gaming. Then they get a little quieter but not by much. My new PSU will be in this week so hopefully that will make *some* difference.

I hope you actually needed to upgrade your PSU and didn't buy a new one just to see if it solve the issue. I'd RMA the cards and ask politely for rev 1.1 cards.

FWIW I would rate my Gigabyte RMA as positive overall, although I found it kind of annoying I had to call in twice before they realized I wasn't complaining about a hardware issue but rather noise. Though after speaking to the tech I now know whoever opened the box simply misplaced the info sheet I sent along with the cards that listed my system specs and problem in detail. But to their credit they still sent me rev 1.1 cards despite them claiming not being to hear any coil whine.

The tech also said I wasn't the only one RMAing for coil whine, so it's definitely widespread enough for Gigabyte to be aware there's an issue.

Well technically it isn't my card that has the whine, it is in fact my PSU but it started because of the GPU. I tried another card and had no issues of whine. I got the the PSU mainly to see if it would help with the whine but I also plan to do some sleeving as well with cabling so 2 birds 1 stone etc.

i just ordered one from newegg last friday 10/24/2014 and it's rev 1.0. no whine at all. fan noise is a little louder than expected at idle ~1600rpm

i just ordered one from newegg last friday 10/24/2014 and it's rev 1.0. no whine at all. fan noise is a little louder than expected at idle ~1600rpm

Ditto, no whine here with rev 1.0, plus core clock is 1404Mhz on default, measured under load. If I remember correctly Gigabyte stated that there was a switch between component manufacturers, it's often done to lower manufacturing cost.

It should say on the retail box sticker that contains the serial #. You can also find it printed on the PCB right beside the PCIe contacts:

PHIyzhT.jpg

I have the G1 Gaming Edition arriving today and was wondering how do you shut off the flashing LED lights on the card

Seems you can adjust them in the geforce experience under led visualizer. But I know a lot of people don't install this. Hopefully this will help others out also.

no software based solution for shutting it off?

I have 2 cards. One is rev 1.0 and the other is rev 1.1. To be honest, I can't tell the difference between the 2.

Seems you can adjust them in the geforce experience under led visualizer. But I know a lot of people don't install this. Hopefully this will help others out also.

thanks...I also never install GeForce Experience but might do it to turn off the LED lights...plus it'll give me a chance to try out ShadowPlay...then I'll reformat my drive and hopefully the LED's stay off without having to go into the software again

Yeah I usually leave out GFE but so many people have told me that's the only software control available for the lights. Might be interesting to see if the setting sticks after disabling the lights and then removing GFE.

You can indeed install the GFE and turn the leds off. Uninstall the app and it remember you turned it off. So install it do the setting and then uninstall it and you should be good to go.

You can turn off LED in nvidia experience program.
I bought 2x 970GTX G1 so as i expected one is 1.0 other is 1.1, coil whine is noticable at 1200FPS+, 200FPS barely hearable, 60FPS nothing. I think i'm good.

You can turn off LED in nvidia experience program.
I bought 2x 970GTX G1 so as i expected one is 1.0 other is 1.1, coil whine is noticable at 1200FPS+, 200FPS barely hearable, 60FPS nothing. I think i'm good.

so Revision 1.1 doesn't reduce the coil whine?

Hey everybody. I bought two new Gigabyte 970 G1 both REV 1.1 fresh stock from Tiger. And both have nasty coil whine :(

For those of you RMAed your cards, how painless or painful was the process? Do they give you brand new cards? Also do they pay for shipping both ways if you just bought the cards?

installed my G1 Gaming Edition card yesterday...love it...temps are insanely low...I was going to shut off the Windforce LED logo but it's not actually as bad as I thought...the brightness is actually reasonable and it looks pretty cool...I have my side panels on all the time so I think I'll leave it enabled for now...seems easy enough to disable with GeForce Experience as well

Can someone give me a length measurement on the card, Gigabyte states ~312mm, Newegg states ~15" I have a node 804 and don't want to buy it if its not going to fit. I'm sure giga knows their own products better than newegg but i'd rather be sure before pulling the trigger on the G1 Gaming. thanks

Can someone give me a length measurement on the card, Gigabyte states ~312mm, Newegg states ~15" I have a node 804 and don't want to buy it if its not going to fit. I'm sure giga knows their own products better than newegg but i'd rather be sure before pulling the trigger on the G1 Gaming. thanks

Saw a picture next to a ruler on OCN, they said it is 298mm internally. The higher number includes the slot bracket and ports which don't affect internal room needs :). Fifteen inches though is the box ;).

Saw a picture next to a ruler on OCN, they said it is 298mm internally. The higher number includes the slot bracket and ports which don't affect internal room needs :). Fifteen inches though is the box ;).

You are a saint, thanks!

You are a saint, thanks!

No problem! I had looked around a lot but went with Msi gaming cards to be safe since I was unsure if the g1 gaming would fit for me, then saw the pic a day or two later :eek:. Enjoy your new card!

Well my first gigabyte g1 gaming gtx 970 was replaced because of coil whine... it was really nasty whine!
I got the second one today with a little whine and I noticed very interesting thing about boost clock which is 1418MHz stock. Now when I am putting power limit slider in afterburner to the max 112%, +100 to the core, +500 for memory it throttles the boost clock up to 1505~1515mhz range and have errors in OCCT gpu check.
But when I turn the power limit slider a notch up to 105% it passes OCCT Gpu error test and card is rock stable with 1530mhz no throttling :confused:

Any ideas?!

Yeah Boost on these is just really bizarre. I have a PNY stock boost of 1228 no matter what the Power Limit is set to. Best I can do is about 1440 max with +500 on memory. And even that depends on the game.

after a week of having it installed, the Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming card is without question the best graphics card I've ever owned...temps are insanely cool...it's whisper quiet...performance is off the charts and the card is sexy to boot...and no coil whine!

idle temps are usually in the upper 20's C (usually around 28C)...and more importantly load temps never seem to go past 61C...haven't had time to play too many games on it yet but even 3D Mark Fire Strike maxed out at 61C...plan to play Assassin's Creed: Unity, Far Cry 4 and Shadow of Mordor soon to really test out it's capabilities

compared to my previous GTX 580 my benchmark scores are literally more then double...I can now play the latest titles at 60 FPS maxed out (1920 x 1200)

Last edited:
Back