Video Game Editorial of the Day

HardOCP News

[H] News
If you only read one video game editorial today, make sure it's this one. :cool:

In 2013 alone they were also a $21 billion business in the U.S. And still, in the rare instance that the nightly news even mentions video games, it’s likely to be an ill-informed pundit grandstanding about violence in games, or video footage of “booth babes” and cosplayers at a convention, without considering the huge amount of money, time, and people involved.

OTOH it's a highly fractured market: PCs, consoles, and mobiles, and each category is further fractured.

Nice short concise article about the size and importance of video gaming. Screw consoles PC gaming rocks! :)

If the Consumerist wanted to write a respectable article about video games, maybe they should remove the quotes around the two miserable mentions of "Nintendo", the oldest company of the 3 major players.

There is no way these numbers are accurate. All of them seem way too high.

By the numbers…

• 59% of Americans play video games
• 51% of all American households have a dedicated video game console
• 58% of all American adults have a smartphone
• 71% of players are over age 18
• 81% of young adults ages 18-29 play games
• 23% of seniors over age 65 play games
• 48% of players are girls or women
• 36% of players are women over age 18
• 17% of players are boys under age 18

There is no way these numbers are accurate. All of them seem way too high.

I'd say it's simply unlikely that the numbers are entirely accurate. The article does have data to back up its claims, though I do think the phrase "of all American X" is not really useful since it should be "of all Americans we successfully polled".

though I do think the phrase "of all American X" is not really useful since it should be "of all Americans we successfully polled".

Well that's pretty much how surveys/studies work, right? You can't exactly poll every single American, but you can draw a general conclusion based on a large enough sample size.

Well that's pretty much how surveys/studies work, right? You can't exactly poll every single American, but you can draw a general conclusion based on a large enough sample size.

And that is the problem, out of 300+ million people, a "large enough" sample size is all but impossible to achieve. A sample of three million people is only 1% of the population and I highly doubt the people that wrote the article polled that many. Lets be generous and say they managed to poll 300,000 people. That is .1% of the population and .1% is way too small a sample from which to draw any conclusions.

Back