24% Of Americans Stopped Buying Online Because Of Breaches

HardOCP News

[H] News
When every other headline prominently features news of another data breach, I can totally understand why the average person doesn't want to shop online. :(

A full 24% of those surveyed said they had stopped buying anything online in recent weeks because they were concerned about the safety of information they might put online. Most surprisingly, 56% said they had cut back on the number of Internet sites they used and were only going to large, well-known companies they were confident were safe.

The most disturbing part of this is that the biggest breach of the last year, Target, was not stolen online info but info directly from the cash registers.

Large, well known retailers like B u y .com, right?

There's a reason buy.com is censored here, and it's not for their stellar security...

But really, who gives a hoot, just use a credit card with $0 fraud liability (NOT A DEBIT CARD) and put your bills and recurring payments on a card you don't use online, then it's very little hassle when your online ordering card ends up compromised.

The most disturbing part of this is that the biggest breach of the last year, Target, was not stolen online info but info directly from the cash registers.

That was my immediate thought as well. These gigantic breaches - Target, Michaels, Neiman Marcus, Global Payments, were all breaches of POS networks, not card-not-present online shops.

And further, only going to "large, well known companies..." ...duh? They're the biggest targets. Not that it isn't a generally safe idea, but still.

This was the first thing I thought as well. I had 2 credit cards used for fraudulent purchases, and my debit card for my HSA cleaned out within the past year. None of it had anything to do with online commerce, as it resulted from hacks at the local grocery store chain's point of sale.

Morons. News flash: your info is already out there. Doesn't matter where you shop, it's circulating. Hope that nobody uses it anytime soon. Shop where you want to, because it won't make a single difference.

People who are afraid of identity theft should get rid of all credit cards but one and use that for purchases. If a crook makes a dirty charge, call up the credit card company and let them handle it. Simplify the access to your money if you want to make it more difficult for criminals to get at it.

That was my immediate thought as well. These gigantic breaches - Target, Michaels, Neiman Marcus, Global Payments, were all breaches of POS networks, not card-not-present online shops.

And further, only going to "large, well known companies..." ...duh? They're the biggest targets. Not that it isn't a generally safe idea, but still.

So, stupid people are stupid. That's the best conclusion we can get from this.

So, stupid people are stupid. That's the best conclusion we can get from this.

Oh, good lord. I posted this article and my reaction on Facebook, and now found out my own mother is one of them. My genes are contaminated.

Oh, good lord. I posted this article and my reaction on Facebook, and now found out my own mother is one of them. My genes are contaminated.

Almost everyone under 40 has an elder relative who is one of them.

To me, buying online is no scarier than handing your credit card to someone making less than minimum wage (not counting tips) and watching them walk out of sight with it.

24% of people drive around writing text messages. People stopped flying after 9/11, too. People are stupid.

I just bought a shitload of ammo online. If my card info gets stolen, guess what? I'm not liable for that.

Most of the online problems aren't from users online. Companies love to make you change your password and even complicate it by requiring characters. The companies themselves get breached and then sit on their asses hoping nobody would notice.

Why is cloud computing the future when companies can't keep their together?

Most of the online problems aren't from users online. Companies love to make you change your password and even complicate it by requiring characters. The companies themselves get breached and then sit on their asses hoping nobody would notice.

What does cloud computing have to do with online shopping. As far as I know, the big cloud computing guys haven't had any problems. It's the retailers and other misc sites that have had issues.

This is why I dont want to try new companies, you never know who you are dealing with.
And even if they are decent people that run the company well, lack of security on purchasing or account management, or bad/difficult handling of security issues can make them people to avoid.

Once I have a satisfactory company (good prices, delivery, product variety, returns service, secure) I tend to use them even if I can save a few quid elsewhere.
Of course its hard to determine who is secure, take a look at the Avast forum hack recently.
But when I have been with someone a long time who hasnt been shown to have issues of this nature, thats of high value.

The problem comes if said company starts to milk their customers or standards drop.
I hate being thrown to the wolves by having to find new suppliers, caution will only get you so far online.

I'm pretty sure 24% of Americans stopped buying online is because they're now broke lol

24% of people drive around writing text messages. People stopped flying after 9/11, too. People are stupid.

I just bought a shitload of ammo online. If my card info gets stolen, guess what? I'm not liable for that.

Get a good deal on the ammo? PM what and from where if you don't mind :D

So they can have another point to be breached set up somebody who doesn't know their shit

My thoughts exactly.

Do these people not cross the street just in case a car blows through a stoplight?

People who are afraid of identity theft should get rid of all credit cards but one and use that for purchases.

That's even worse because you then have to wait for the new card and have to change then card number on any automatic payments.

Having multiple cards is better.
I have 1 card that I only use for automatic payments (utilities, etc)
I have several store cards because they have better cash back (like Target's 5% off)
I have a general card I use for almost everything else,
and finally a card I use for new/questionable sites. If this card gets compromized, there's a good change there's no other charges in it to worry about.

It's also a good idea to have at least 2 cards when you travel, I use one for Hotels, car rentals, etc. and a diferent one for shopping, food, ect.

People stopped flying after 9/11, too. People are stupid.

I haven't flown since 2009 and it wasn't because of 911, it's mainly due to the TSA.
The last few years I've either drove or taken the train instead.

35% of Americans stopped buying online because of sales tax law changes.

Ha, read this specifically refuted on Krebs on Security just now:

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2014/06/peek-inside-a-professional-carding-shop/#more-26320 said:
People often ask if I worry about shopping online. These days, I worry more about shopping in main street stores.

(Those of you who don't read Krebs, need to.)

Under 40? I'm 42. I guess that just makes it more likely?

Oh sure. I'm just saying that above 40 is where similar mystification regarding technology really tends to kick in. Perhaps the bar moved to 50 recently.

Almost everyone under 40 has an elder relative who is one of them.

Thus the reason my wife and I will not support her mother getting online, and since I do all the tech support for the family, it will not happen. If she goes behind our back then she can deal w/ the consequences of her complete lack of knowledge regarding how the online world is. She is 70 and 'knows everything' so there is no teaching her sh!t.

Thus the reason my wife and I will not support her mother getting online, and since I do all the tech support for the family, it will not happen. If she goes behind our back then she can deal w/ the consequences of her complete lack of knowledge regarding how the online world is. She is 70 and 'knows everything' so there is no teaching her sh!t.
You sound like a wonderful person.

What does cloud computing have to do with online shopping. As far as I know, the big cloud computing guys haven't had any problems. It's the retailers and other misc sites that have had issues.

Cause if online companies can't hold onto passwords very well, then why would your cloud storage be safe. Unlike passwords and credit cards, a photo, video, or document can't put you in a very terrible situation.

Sometimes its not or the place you shop...

About 5 years ago I woke up to $0 balance in my checking and savings. Took a total of 11 days to get my money put back in my account. Wasn't anything I did or anywhere I shopped...it was the damn credit card processing company that was compromised.

Sometimes its not or the place you shop...

About 5 years ago I woke up to $0 balance in my checking and savings. Took a total of 11 days to get my money put back in my account. Wasn't anything I did or anywhere I shopped...it was the damn credit card processing company that was compromised.

Yup, the global payments breach a few years back was the same - http://www.bankinfosecurity.com/global-payments-breach-tab-94-million-a-5415/op-1

So the consumer most likely had little idea or way to tell what businesses they shop at had been affected.

Back