T-Mobile CEO: Overage Fees Are Greedy, Predatory

HardOCP News

[H] News
I sure like T-Mobile's CEO. Sure he's still a corporate fat cat but I sure do like the changes he's made recently and how he challenges other companies to do the same.

"Charging overage fees is a greedy, predatory practice that needs to go," continued Legere. "Starting in May for bills arriving in June - regardless of whether you're on Simple Choice, Simple Starter or an older plan, we're abolishing overages for good. Period."

I can't bring myself to listen to anything T-Mobile says because I've heard their coverage/call quality is no good.

I can't bring myself to listen to anything T-Mobile says because I've heard their coverage/call quality is no good.

It not just 'no good,' it fucking sucks.

Also, T-Mobile moves at a snail's pace when pushing out firmware/os updates. Very tired of them.

Tmo or not, at least one of the renown carrier CEOs said it. I hope a lot of customers read this and take it to heart.

No problems with coverage where I live in Southern California, or when I traveled through Oregon, Washington State, Nevada and Utah over the past few years. Coverage was better than the sprint service the wife had.

Wonder if they'll jack up other fee's to cover it?

T-Mobile currently has some of the best prices, only $90 on a family plan with 3 phones, unlimited voice, unlimited text and 1GB data per line (receintly up from 500MB).

Fees are mostly government based taxes, and some are based on a percentage of what you are paying, so cheaper plan means less fees.

As for updates, T-mobile been pretty good on my S3. The other 2 phone on the plan are Nexus 4's bought from the google play store, they get the updates direct from google, so updates are not a problem.

I just switched over to them last week. 30$ less a month than my at&t bill and 4 times the data.

T-Mobile currently has some of the best prices, only $90 on a family plan with 3 phones, unlimited voice, unlimited text and 1GB data per line (receintly up from 500MB).
And after reaching the data limit, you're neither charged large fees nor cut off; you get stepped down in speed but can continue to use the service.

As for the coverage complaints, every carrier has coverage issues somewhere. For example, when I was on Sprint my home was in a virtual dead zone but I had no problems anywhere else I checked in the city and maintained [lower speed] connections when I was in the sticks.

The only thing I hate about T-Mobile is their color scheme. It's the absolute worst.

Even if you don't like their service you gotta love and support the trend. Plus, Tmo is better than Sprint. People have offered me to be on their family plan for $45/mon with unlimited everything and no data throttling/cap. Will take it if Verizon does away with grandfathered unlimited data.

Yeah, I'd love to get on their $30 pre-paid plan (5GB/100-min), but when I tried it out last year, I couldn't even get enough reception at my house to make a single call.

And after reaching the data limit, you're neither charged large fees nor cut off; you get stepped down in speed but can continue to use the service.

Forgot to add that, as it's one of the better features of the T-Moble data plan. I would much rather have the data speed slowed down at the end of the month, instead of being charged an extra $10 or being cut off.

However, since I'm on WiFi at home & work, I rarely even get close to the older 500MB limit, so unless I'm traveling I doubt I'll ever get close to 1GB.

The only thing I hate about T-Mobile is their color scheme. It's the absolute worst.

It might be a European thing.

I just switched over to T-Mobile. I have a Nexus 5 so I'm not worried about software/firmware updates. No overage fees is really nice and extra data is a lot cheaper than AT&T and Verizon.

I have LTE almost everywhere now on T-Mobile... It really depends where you are in the US.
If your anywhere near Boston it's awesome I speed tested 34/22 in downtown Nashua NH lol
Love my $30 T-Mobile plan

TMo and Sprint are the only decent carriers left, and its no coincidence both are in financial trouble. Remove the FCC spectrum monopolies, introduce real competition and US carriers/ISPs like VZW/ATT/Comcast will crumble and be forced to be more competitive. Instead, FCC is busy approving more mergers and corporate friendly terms.

I may have to goto T Mobile I used to be with them but their service sucked but Cricket got bought out by ATT, would not care but they are not going to allow us to use our devices as they are shutting the network down..

Also, T-Mobile moves at a snail's pace when pushing out firmware/os updates. Very tired of them.

Discussions like this will always be very subjective. T-Mobile is rock-solid where I live. I have no complaints. I'm also in one of their very few LTE markets and they're about $60 cheaper than a competitor with my two-phone plans.

Tmo or not, at least one of the renown carrier CEOs said it. I hope a lot of customers read this and take it to heart.

Not sure there were any customers, for ANY carriers who thought to themselves "Hmm overage fees is a good idea..." unless it was followed for "... for raping customers out of money and giggling all the way to the bank"

T-Mobile network in the past three months has definitely improved in Southern Cali. I went from okay service and speed to now getting full signal LTE everywhere and awesome speeds. I use a Nexus 5 and Unlocked AT&T Lumia 920 and both are equal on speed and coverage.

I just did a speed test on my Nexus in my office just to show what I am getting now.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/797684720

Overage weren't ment to squeeze the customer, but scare them into a bigger plan than what they needed.

I've noticed ATT moving away from this by just applying another data charge onto your bill.

this guy is bauce. he's done so much to shake things up, its just awesome. i wish so badly the coverage was better

Switched over to them a year ago I use the prepaid $30 a month 100 min/5gb of 4G/unlimited 2G internet /unlimited texting, I just use VOIP for calls when I'm on WiFi and I bought a Nexus 4 for $250. I'm up to $600 saved in the past year, paid less for a decent phone that I "own" and no contracts and never any overage charges or "surprise charges"

Coverage in certain parts of the US sucks, I went on a trip from Chicago to Wyoming in the car with my friend ho had Verizon, I had the ability to make voice calls everywhere he did but my data was in out through SD,ND and Eastern Wyoming. In my city it's just as good as Verizon was but I'm saving $50+ a month lol. I wouldn't recommend it if you travel around a lot "yet", but it is getting better.

I was with Verizon for 12 years, but after they stopped the $200 for the "new every two" gimmick and dropped the Unlimited internet to such a ridiculous number I starting looking at different options. Honestly if they wouldn't have gone and tried to fuck me over so bad I wouldn't have found or bothered to change over to T-mobile, I'm so glad I did though, Thanks Verizon!

T-mobile is the biggest hypocrites out there. I can't wait to ditch them for a proper cellphone provider.

TMo and Sprint are the only decent carriers left, and its no coincidence both are in financial trouble. Remove the FCC spectrum monopolies, introduce real competition and US carriers/ISPs like VZW/ATT/Comcast will crumble and be forced to be more competitive. Instead, FCC is busy approving more mergers and corporate friendly terms.

I'm sure the Comcast merger will be approved, as their management has been big donors to the current administration.

Almost every large merger that has been approved the past few years has had management that were big supporters of Obama and/or the Democrats.

Lucky for T-Mobile customers, AT&T's CEO was a big supported of Republicans, so the merger/buyout was denied, and T-Mobile ended up with a big pile of AT&T cash to grow their network.

I have been using T-Mobile for nearly 2 years now and have had zero issues with them. I live in the DC area but travel for work. Sure between cities you are going to be stuck on the edge network and my work phone (Verizon) has a better coverage, but where I spend 95% of my time I have LTE or HSPA+ on my Nexus 5. If you have a T-Mobile phone directly, which I got for my parents, when you are on a wifi network it will automatically use Wifi to make calls rather than using the network when the reception is poor leading to much better call quality.

I am not sure about you, but 5 lines for 140 with zero overages and at least 1gb of High Speed data (Personally I use more) along with the ability to tether (slightly less data, but
enough to make it through a weekend of a hotel that charges for wifi).

I also love the fact the rest of the industry is moving away from contracts as a result of tmobile. Regardless of how you feel about them, they have pushed the mobile industry forward in a big way and are a prime example of why we need more competition, not less, in the internet/tv industry.

Why depend on them for that? Just get an unlocked phone with T-mo bands. This is possible, right?

Why depend on them for that? Just get an unlocked phone with T-mo bands. This is possible, right?

Sure. Pick up a Nexus 5 and be done with it. It's relatively cheap, relatively powerful, and comes with timely updates.

It might be a European thing.

I just switched over to T-Mobile. I have a Nexus 5 so I'm not worried about software/firmware updates. No overage fees is really nice and extra data is a lot cheaper than AT&T and Verizon.

Same here with Nexus 5 (awesome specs for the price, if you can live with internal memory only). As for the firmware, pretty much all carriers abandon their phones and just go to a next model. I've been using XDA Developers and custom roms for a long time, though with Nexus 5 being a Google phone, there's no longer any need for that.

Coverage is good and their LTE speed here in Wash DC ares is great, better than ATT in fact. Coverage is also better in the areas where I go, except for subway. I've been with them for a long time and really haven't had a reason to switch. Cell phone cost is already high and going to another carrier and pay even more is just insane.

Having used AT&T and Verizon id say TMOBILE is the De-facto leader of the NYC metro area.

Having used AT&T and Verizon id say TMOBILE is the De-facto leader of the NYC metro area.

Well, the trend as demonstrated here is that outside of any metropolitan area you get spotty coverage (if any).

I'm sure the Comcast merger will be approved, as their management has been big donors to the current administration.

Almost every large merger that has been approved the past few years has had management that were big supporters of Obama and/or the Democrats.

Lucky for T-Mobile customers, AT&T's CEO was a big supported of Republicans, so the merger/buyout was denied, and T-Mobile ended up with a big pile of AT&T cash to grow their network.

Lordy...you're aware that in the last few election cycles....ATT has given equal $$$ millions in campaign contributions/lobbying to both sides of the aisle.

If you have a T-Mobile phone directly, which I got for my parents, when you are on a wifi network it will automatically use Wifi to make calls rather than using the network when the reception is poor leading to much better call quality.

Say what? You mean the regular telephone call will hop over to voip on its own? I purchased a Skype subscription just for this purpose, but you make it sound like i don't need to...

I hear you, but phone tech isn't something that i upgrade until it breaks. I have the nokia lumia 810, a t-mobile specific phone which i bought off a friend for 80 bucks.

They've abandoned their own proprietary phone and so i can't get win8.1, or the black update, etc. My phone software is pretty old now, but it's still functional so I just deal with it (and complain on the internet ^_^)

Say what? You mean the regular telephone call will hop over to voip on its own? I purchased a Skype subscription just for this purpose, but you make it sound like i don't need to...

You don't. Tmo has this feature built in. Sprint is considering adding it. And none of the other carriers are giving it a second thought.

I switched to T-Mobile a couple of months ago from Sprint. The data is faster and voice is great, it's even greater if you're in a 4G/LTE area as they use HD-Voice instead which sounds awesome. I noticed a huge difference in call quality after the switch.

I'm not on tmobile (using a sprint mnvo) but are thankful they are doing stuff like this to churn up the stagnant market. Thank god the att merger was quashed.

Anyone else feel like t-mobile is just finding "innovative" new ways to repackage the same old shit and sell it to us like we're getting a good deal?

It's pretty smart I give them that.

Back