Journalist Wearing Google Glass Attacked By Woman

HardOCP News

[H] News
Damn, if only this guy had some form of recording device on him when this happened, authorities might have been able to catch the woman that attacked him. :rolleyes:

20-year-old journalist Kyle Russell, a reporter for Business Insider, said the attack happened as he was walking on the sidewalk with a colleague. A woman came up to him and yelled, “Glass!” and grabbed the device off his face and sprinted away, he said.

Okay so it's wrong to take stuff from someone and destroy it, but I really can't even pretend to feel bad about it. People wearing those things are just making themselves into little walking spy cameras for Google. At least the disgusting little Android phones mostly stay in pockets where they end up just spying on the owner instead of the rest of the world though they're not much better with people constantly taking picture with them.

The attack happened just after Russell had been covering a march in protest against a Google lawyer who allegedly evicted people from a building he purchased.

People buy buildings and evict tenants all the time. Why does the fact this guy works for Google make it different?

Anyway, this is one of the main reasons I wouldn't use something like Glass. Might as well tape $1500 to my face and beg people to take it.

People buy buildings and evict tenants all the time. Why does the fact this guy works for Google make it different?

It shouldn't make any difference, but there's a pretty huge backlash against Google going on right now so pretty much anyone associated with the company is being branded as evil (which is awesome :D).

Anyway, this is one of the main reasons I wouldn't use something like Glass. Might as well tape $1500 to my face and beg people to take it.

You would also need a note next to the $1500 that reads, "I'm an awful human being that kicks puppies and spies on you through your bathroom windows...I'm doing it right now, in fact."

I can't believe the guy reported that he got robbed/assaulted/humiliated by a girl. :eek:

(story seems fishy too, but whatever)

Because, as has been reported over and over and over again, there is a almost universally accepted reality happening in San Francisco right now where wealthy Google (among other large tech companies) employees are moving into the city center, even though they work in the burbs, and driving up rents at an extreme rate. This is driving the previous lower income (lower than the Google type workers) home renting members of the community out.

Look, I can understand not agreeing that it's a bad thing (personally, I don't know where I stand on the issue) but unless you really haven't been following the story otherwise, playing dumb about the real issue at hand is just moronic.

First they were jacking phones from people's hands.
Now they're jacking glass.

I love it

Yep, just like anyone carrying a Louis Vuitton might as well have a sign that says "rob me". Or anyone driving a Porshe, Lamborghini, Ashton Martin, etc. :rolleyes:

Seriously, I don't care what anyone is doing unless it is illegal, it doesn't give anyone the rights to take things into their own hands, literally or figuratively. Especially in public, where there is no "privacy". You want privacy... stay in your basement! You walk out that door and the world gets to see you and what you do, so just get over yourself. Where does your "right" to not be recorded, which most likely isn't happening due the really short recording time on these things, become more important than someone's right to wear them?

Yeah anyone with a smartphone deserves to be mugged, brining an expensive device with them, what twats.

Because, as has been reported over and over and over again, there is a almost universally accepted reality happening in San Francisco right now where wealthy Google (among other large tech companies) employees are moving into the city center, even though they work in the burbs, and driving up rents at an extreme rate. This is driving the previous lower income (lower than the Google type workers) home renting members of the community out.

Look, I can understand not agreeing that it's a bad thing (personally, I don't know where I stand on the issue) but unless you really haven't been following the story otherwise, playing dumb about the real issue at hand is just moronic.

So fucking what, move somewhere cheaper, its as simple as that.

Fuck the gl@ssholes if they cant take a joke.
Better insure your gear before filming the act of taking someones home from them
Let you be the one...

I think the definition of attack has changed over the years.
He was robbed sure, but she didnt try to cause him physical harm and he suffered no physical harm.
I guess the journalist didnt have qualifications, thats the real crime here :p

So, the lesson here is to somehow attach a Google Glass to my penis and walk around town and let women grab it?

Well why didn't you reveal this sooner!

Seriously some of you are crazy. Just because someone has them on for all the cool tec they bring, doesn't mean they are out to spy on you or anybody. The NSA watches you from your own phone, go beat on the NSA's door.

Do people run up to owners of Corvettes, Porsches and beat the crap out of them and steal their cars because they are rice? No.

We at [H] love new tech. This is Tech at it's best it has ever been.

Get a grip.

:confused:

Do people run up to owners of Corvettes, Porsches and beat the crap out of them and steal their cars because they are rice? No.

For certain crimes, people are much more likely to get profiled and victimized because of what they drive.

Seriously some of you are crazy. Just because someone has them on for all the cool tec they bring, doesn't mean they are out to spy on you or anybody. The NSA watches you from your own phone, go beat on the NSA's door.

We at [H] love new tech. This is Tech at it's best it has ever been.

Get a grip.

:confused:

No it isn't. Tech is at its best when it has a purpose...Google has already admitted they have no clue what the F to use Glass for.

This in addition to privacy vs camera problems. And yes, I hate it when people video/photo me without my consent with any device.

For certain crimes, people are much more likely to get profiled and victimized because of what they drive.

Yup.

Which is more likely to have a break-in and equipment stolen. An Apple Store or a Dollar General?

I hear this all the time now. why are people hitting people that are using those glass google thing? what's the problem exactly?

No it isn't. Tech is at its best when it has a purpose...Google has already admitted they have no clue what the F to use Glass for.

This in addition to privacy vs camera problems. And yes, I hate it when people video/photo me without my consent with any device.

Yup.

Which is more likely to have a break-in and equipment stolen. An Apple Store or a Dollar General?

Welcome to the future, it's getting easier and easier to put cameras in everything now a days. From phones to watches to glasses, there will be cameras everywhere. They do everything from selected advertisement to indentifying a criminal in the crowd. Cameras are a way of keeping us safe and connected. The only privacy that you should expect is in your own home. Unless you're out in public picking a dingleberry or exposing yourself then you shouldn't have a problem with this.

what's the problem exactly?
it's like the fanny-pack/crocs crowd got in bed with yuppy hipster nerd-wannabees and decided their "image" was not cool enough and now is their time to "get back" at the world, so they masturbated each other 20x a day until finally out popped a mutant child they named "glass". this is basic tech elitist logic talking here.

Glass is the Kardashians of gadget world... if you were a true tech nerd you'd know that

Sounds about right. $1500 is overpriced. Good concept, but they need a lot more work to be something I'd own... at $300. It's a proof of concept in my eyes.

Must be fun to wear a tin hat at all fucking times of the day, it's almost scary with the amount of bs in this thread.

Anything that lends well to weirdos taking photos of people without permission and without appearing to do so should be getting this much push-back. If we ever get government cameras that have that same level of intrusiveness I fully support smashing those too.

We have enough problems with people using cell phone cameras to take highly inappropriate photos of children, women, etc. already. No one should be okay with compounding that issue by allowing such a device to be fixed on someone's eyes.

Back