Cooler Master Elite 110 Mini-ITX Case Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Cooler Master Elite 110 Mini-ITX Case Review - Many enthusiasts now days are trying their hands at minimizing their PC footprint. Mini-ITX motherboards have progressed a long ways in terms of stability and feature set in the last three years. Cooler Master has a new solution for those looking to minimize while not giving up cooling or features in their Mini-ITX enclosure.

When is small too small? This thing is TINY and while I appreciate it when companies attempt to push the envelope I think I'll be staying away from this tiny box for my next HT/Mobile-PC build. Cable management is important to me and if I have to spend an extra hour using rods to get my cables to go in a certain spot I just don't see it very worth while for me.

Cool case but too cramped for me.

I've decided to go with mATX with my latest HTPC build. Noise is of utmost importance, and with powerful components you need big coolers with slow fans that just won't fit in tiny cases.

There are a number of Low Profile CPU coolers on the market....all under the 76 mm limit you discussed.....

ArcticCooling Freezer 11 LP

Noctura NH-L9i

CoolerMaster GeminII M4

I just built a Mini ITX computer for my office using the Cooler Master Mini-110 case, the business version of this case, if you will.
I chose the Noctura NH-L9i mainly due to the fact that the entire cooler unit is built to stay within the no-fly-zone of the CPU mount so you don't interfere with RAM or other components on this small of a platform.

The Mini-110 comes with a SFF PSU also......for 69 dollars. Very functional for a business computer.

There are a number of Low Profile CPU coolers on the market....all under the 76 mm limit you discussed.....

Noctura NH-L9i

CoolerMaster GeminII M4

I just built a Mini ITX computer for my office using the Cooler Master Mini-110 case, the business version of this case, if you will.
I chose the Noctura NH-L9i mainly due to the fact that the entire cooler unit is built to stay within the no-fly-zone of the CPU mount so you don't interfere with RAM or other components on this small of a platform.

The Mini-110 comes with a SFF PSU also......for 69 dollars. Very functional for a business computer.

The cooler Master 110? I just looked it up because I wasn't familiar with that model, and ohhh boy. That thing looks like a VCR! lol why would you pick that?????

The cooler Master 110? I just looked it up because I wasn't familiar with that model, and ohhh boy. That thing looks like a VCR! lol why would you pick that?????

Like I said, it's for my office.
I used it because it's cheap, functional, quiet, comes with a PSU, and did I mention cheap?
The build was not for gaming or CAD.....just basic office work.
Paired with a GigaByte GA-H87N-wifi it's very functional and has a very small footprint.

The other case I considered was an Antec ISK300-150, but the Cooler Master has a higher wattage PSU.:D

Didn't you know the VCR look is the next big thing, ask the Xbox One.

Elite 110 ooks more like a subwoofer IMHO. I have to completely agree with the recommendations for different hardware setups with this case. My only issue with Asus Mini-ITX boards is there lack of support for 3-pin fans at all for speed modulation, as it seems only PWM fans work.

An AIO CPU cooler is a must-have here, and there's a thread on Overclock.net by liquored where he put an Asus DC2 GTX 760 in it even though it exceeds the 210mm graphics card length limit. If I had gone AIO I would have put a push-pull configuration if possible to help airflow in the case and only used 2.5" SSDs or SSHDs in it with a graphics card that exhausts outside of the case (at least somewhat). A gpu on the side would help pull airflow through the side mounted drives, but a filter on the side would help a lot. It would be difficult to fit large filters on the side of the case internally, but externally mounted ones from Silverstone or DEMCIflex would help. A big oversight IMHO.

I bought one and water cooled it. Has an i7 3770k at 4.3 ghz undervolted by offset -0.02 on a P8Z77-I Deluxe WD board, Club 3d R9 270 with EK 7850 water block (slightly modified) and 8GB of Samsung Magic RAM and a Seagate 1TB SSHD drive. The PSU is Silverstone's ST45SF-G modular SFX PSU. This is a v2.0 version. The v1.1 version has a loud fan. I have one of these v1.1 versions too and I changed out the fan for a noiseblocker BlackNoise 80mmx15mm slim fan because it was just too loud at stock. FTW (F*** the warranty).

I can agree with the review that adding drives takes careful consideration. I have to get some 80mm slim fans to help with airflow around the SSHD 2.5 1TB that I have in it as it reaches 43 celsius when the system is loaded up. I used an Apogee Drive II water block to cool the CPU and put a DDC PWM pump on it (similar to MCP 35X) and some Tygon silver infused tubing with an XSPC RX120 in front.

On load the chip never exceeds 60 celsius and the GPU never 45 celsius with the Corsair SP120 PWM fan sitting between the chassis and the front panel. I tried a PWM modified Gentle Typhoon AP29 but the motor clicks at speeds around 1500 RPM which is typical of many PWM driven fans. The pump generally runs at about 40-60% of full speed using PWM to modulate RPMs.

IMG_0180.jpg

Photo of the slightly chopped water block on the GPU:

IMG_0178.jpg

My issues with this case amount to the fact that the sides are not filtered, the built-in front foam filter is too restrictive (as I've changed it out), and the front of the metal chassis should be open at the 120mm fan mount position instead of that hexagon honeycomb pattern, as it is easy to put a 120mm (140mm with mods) fan in the front between the front panel and metal chassis. But by doing this the rest of the system is not getting a lot of airflow through the radiator. It would have been good if they added fan mount positions on the other side of the case to help cool the VRMs of the motherboard. Not an issue for me because I'm undervolting the CPU, but for any OC you'd want that as many ITX boards don't have heavy duty VRMs like the Asus branded ones. When I changed out the front filter to a mesh type I gained 3-4 celsius of cooling.

I also don't understand the PSU "overhang". They should have just made the case an inch deeper IMHO.

Otherwise great review and so far I'm pretty happy with this case. I only included the photos here to show that some slightly more exotic configurations are possible here. If I had to do it all over again I would have just gone AIO for the CPU and a regular short 7850/7870 R9 270 or GTX 760 GPU conventionally air cooled in this case.

Last edited:
I'll hold on to my Sugo SG05. Easily fit a 7870, seidon 120 aio, hdd, and ssd with room to spare.

I have question why in the world would you use a 850w for any of those builds. Completely unnecessary. That Silverstone 450w is more than enough. I would take all the money you wasted on that AX and invest in a better GPU than a gimpy GTX 750. Even if you believe a larger power supply is going to provide better cooling (only reasoning I could think of), get a 500w atx. A 850w could realistically run a rig with SLI 780s.

Noctura NH-L9i

Cooler Master GeminII M4

We have the Cooler Master GeminII M4 (used it here) and the Noctua NH-L9i in house but they do not work in the chassis with the ASUS Z87I-Deluxe. Same goes for the Arctic Cooling Freezer 11 LP.

I have question why in the world would you use a 850w for any of those builds. Completely unnecessary. That Silverstone 450w is more than enough. I would take all the money you wasted on that AX and invest in a better GPU than a gimpy GTX 750. Even if you believe a larger power supply is going to provide better cooling (only reasoning I could think of), get a 500w atx. A 850w could realistically run a rig with SLI 780s.

You have to remember that, in all of our case reviews, the components we install are mainly selected for their physical size. We feel that it is important that, by the end of the review, you know what components will fit and what won't. There is nothing worse than finding out that your components won't fit / not compatible with the case you just spent your hard earned money on.

:)

Did I read the price on amazon correctly?? Twice that of Newegg? What gives? And is Newegg going to jack their prices to match Amazon? (Yes I know it's OOS @ Newegg right now)

:confused:

EDIT: I'm eyeing this for a AM1 build myself. Something to putz around on

Last edited:
I didn't realize this thing was so big :). When I see pictures I assume it has the same dimensions as an SG05/6 but maybe shorter in length. I think they should have just stopped at the top of the PSU.

...The other case I considered was an Antec ISK300-150, but the Cooler Master has a higher wattage PSU.:D

I got a hand-me-down ISK300 and have been very pleased with it for a HTPC. Looks good in the shelf and is nice and quiet.

I didn't realize this thing was so big :). When I see pictures I assume it has the same dimensions as an SG05/6 but maybe shorter in length. I think they should have just stopped at the top of the PSU.

The case is deceptively small looking. It's actually quite big.

Compare that with a Fractal Node 304:

9.84" x 8.27" x 14.72"

And this Elite 110:

11.1" x 8.2" x 10.3"

Wider, not much shorter and 4 inches less deep.

Might as well get the 304, fit full height CPU coolers into it and virtually any GPU and have absolutely no problems fitting hard drives into the case without worrying about it impacting airflow.

Oh, and all intakes are filtered.

So does anyone know why Newegg has this listed at half the price as Amazon? I asked earlier but it got run over with questions about the size of the case. The 304 listed above is a lot more $$ and for what I am probably looking to do, not worth the extra $$. Newegg has a AM1 mobo/quad-core CPU combo for like $65 right now, a sub-$50 case would seem a good route.

The bit about the optical drive is silly. I went with a Node 304, which also has no optical drive. I wasn't ready to do without entirely just yet. However you can pick up an external USB optical drive for like 30$ so it really is a non-issue. In fact I think it works much better that way, A) No one uses it for CD's anymore so don't need it for music, B) Only used for initial installs, C) most software doesn't require the physical disks anymore. So I used mine to install Windows 7, and a driver here and there during construction, but after than other than every now and again to install something, it sits quietly in storage until I actually need it. Why take up space with something you only use a couple times a year.

Also it would be interesting to see how it stacks up size wise to the Node 304. These cases are not for the faint of heart if trying to stuff a lot of things into it. I have 4 HD, an SSD, a AMD 7850, and a 90mm AIO liquid cooling. It is all in there, but I won't lie, the cabling isn't very pretty. One of the challenges is that each HD requires both a power and a data cable each, 8 in all and they can only go certain places.

Also one "flaw" that wasn't pointed out, is one that the Node 304 shares. The back plate is not removable nor is there any access from the bottom. Some ITX MB have a mSATA SDD slot on the back of the MB. Once you install it, if you ever need to access it again, you can look forward to totally disassembling your entire rig to get at it. I have already decided that mine is now there forever regardless of the future.

Why oh why did they have to spoil it by putting the ports at the side instead of the top where they should be?

The bit about the optical drive is silly. I went with a Node 304, which also has no optical drive. I wasn't ready to do without entirely just yet. However you can pick up an external USB optical drive for like 30$ so it really is a non-issue. In fact I think it works much better that way, A) No one uses it for CD's anymore so don't need it for music, B) Only used for initial installs, C) most software doesn't require the physical disks anymore. So I used mine to install Windows 7, and a driver here and there during construction, but after than other than every now and again to install something, it sits quietly in storage until I actually need it. Why take up space with something you only use a couple times a year.

Also it would be interesting to see how it stacks up size wise to the Node 304. These cases are not for the faint of heart if trying to stuff a lot of things into it. I have 4 HD, an SSD, a AMD 7850, and a 90mm AIO liquid cooling. It is all in there, but I won't lie, the cabling isn't very pretty. One of the challenges is that each HD requires both a power and a data cable each, 8 in all and they can only go certain places.

Also one "flaw" that wasn't pointed out, is one that the Node 304 shares. The back plate is not removable nor is there any access from the bottom. Some ITX MB have a mSATA SDD slot on the back of the MB. Once you install it, if you ever need to access it again, you can look forward to totally disassembling your entire rig to get at it. I have already decided that mine is now there forever regardless of the future.

How are the noise level in your Node 304 setup? Just curious because I'm looking into building one myself, but with 1 hdd and 1 ssd

How are the noise level in your Node 304 setup? Just curious because I'm looking into building one myself, but with 1 hdd and 1 ssd

In my case, the hard drives are the loudest thing in my Node 304 setup.

I flipped the 140mm fan to serve as an intake from the rear and flipped the PSU so that the fan was facing up into the case to serve as an exhaust. The CPU heatsink is between the two and blows towards the PSU. The front 80mm fans are on low and the rear 140mm is on medium. One 80mm blows directly on the drives and the other is closer to the GPU. Works great.

Little bump. Newegg now has this in stock as of this post, $49.99 + $3.99 s/h, Premier eligible. Now down to $57.98 at Amazon.

I have the BitFenix Prodigy, and I love it. It is easy to move
from one room to the other when you have too and works
great for overnight lan parties.

Back