Microsoft Is Working With Virtual Reality, Too

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Not a company to be left out when there is a potential to make huge profits are concerned, Microsoft definitely has ongoing research taking place in virtual reality technology and not limited to just the Xbox gaming experience.

The enterprise space, for example, which Microsoft still dominates, could benefit from conference calls, training, virtual tours and more. Something as simple as Skype could move closer to face-to-face conversation.

Virtual reality is so 1995. time for real dolls!. oh wait wrong topic :D

Good ol' Microsoft .... last to the table as usual. They excel at being last.

Every time I see a "Microsoft doing <something> too" it makes me think of a group of kids with a fat one (looking like Ballmer) at the back sticking their hand up going "Pick me! Pick me!".

Last? Hardly. Microsoft has had Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality projects for ages.

Most of the VR news of out Microsoft over the last 10 years has been about VR rooms rather than VR headsets. The idea being that you walk into what is effectively a holodeck, rather than strap on a headset.

knowing MS they will likely overcomplicate VR and make you do a squatting yoga pose every 1- minutes to calibrate it

Last? Hardly. Microsoft has had Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality projects for ages.

Most of the VR news of out Microsoft over the last 10 years has been about VR rooms rather than VR headsets. The idea being that you walk into what is effectively a holodeck, rather than strap on a headset.

Illumiroom looked pretty badass

The really stupid thing on their part is they were making virtual reality software years ago, ESP. It had evolved from their Flight Simulators and was made by ACES. When they abandoned PC gaming, and only wanted to concentrate solely on Xbox exclusives, they shutdown ACES. With ACES gone, so was ESP.

10 December, 2008 http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/article/270370/microsoft_esp_virtual_reality_made_cheaper/

I've always appreciated the work coming from Microsoft Research, but the rest of the company rarely follows through. Merely "having projects" is a far cry from putting products in the hands of consumers; in regard to the latter, Microsoft is typically late to the party.

Back