No surprise here, XFX 290 DD VRM temps over 100c at stock volts

Sodapopjones

[H]ard|Gawd
I've seen a few others, from NON REVIEWERS stating insanely high VRM temps, and well here you go.

Ambient temp, 73f

Less than 5 minutes of test range and viola, on stock volts.

vrms_zps893b7e36.jpg~original

Just to answer a couple of other questions too, these cards are locked and use Elpida memory.
xfx_zps538f4f71.jpg~original

Here's a few links of others with VRM issues....
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1979430/xfx-290-vrm-temps-high.html
http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/33629-xfx-radeon-dd-r9-290x-1000m-reviewed?tmpl=component&print=1 ( Read the comments)
http://www.overclock.net/t/1458690/fud-xfx-radeon-dd-r9-290x-1000m-4gb-reviewed/10

So yeah, I'm not sure what the reviewers were doing to get those temps, if they had cherry picked cards or what, but I'm not seeing anything under 100c lol. RMA time!

Last edited:
Does the card show a revision? Perhaps they're reviewing a rev 2 while you have a rev 1. Hoping my XFX 290X DD coming Monday doesn't have that issue.

Does the card show a revision? Perhaps they're reviewing a rev 2 while you have a rev 1. Hoping my XFX 290X DD coming Monday doesn't have that issue.

AFAIK there hasn't been any revisions of the cards, they're relatively new compared to the other AIB cards.

Does the cooler on that card make contact with the VRMs?

You may try increasing the fan speed, it may simply be not enough air is passing over the VRMs.

You may try increasing the fan speed, it may simply be not enough air is passing over the VRMs.

I'd wager poor or now hsf contact. Or hope for that.

Fan speed was at 100%.....

There is a polycarbonate plate, and VRM pads, I didn't completely take it apart, but it did look like the pad was seated ok. I will say this though, this thing is built even cheaper than the last gen cooler... I'm honestly not buying a single review I read anymore, here or anywhere else.

From the reviews I've seen the XFX 290X DD seem to have better VRM and GPU temperature than XFX 290 DD. Have also come across comments claiming high VRM temp with XFX 290 DD. Also trying to remember the article that has breakdown pictures of both showing differences in heatsink and number of pipes. I'll also let you know when I get the 290X DD.

Hardware Canucks measure 76C VRM
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/65235-xfx-radeon-r9-290x-double-dissipation-review-7.html

Fudzilla measure 82C VRM
http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/33629-xfx-radeon-dd-r9-290x-1000m-reviewed/33629-xfx-radeon-dd-r9-290x-1000m-reviewed?start=6

From the reviews I've seen the XFX 290X DD seem to have better VRM and GPU temperature than XFX 290 DD. Have also come across comments claiming high VRM temp with XFX 290 DD. Also trying to remember the article that has breakdown pictures of both showing differences in heatsink and number of pipes. I'll also let you know when I get the 290X DD.

Hardware Canucks measure 76C VRM
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/65235-xfx-radeon-r9-290x-double-dissipation-review-7.html

Fudzilla measure 82C VRM
http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/33629-xfx-radeon-dd-r9-290x-1000m-reviewed/33629-xfx-radeon-dd-r9-290x-1000m-reviewed?start=6

This could be why the markup on the 290X DD's were so much more than the 290's, perhaps there's something they know we don't.

My 2x XFX 290 DD also have high 90c on VRM 1.

This is with the core at mid 80c while mining.

mining will always push the vrms more, it draws way more power to the core than gaming

thats why people underclock them.

For comparison the highest VRM1 temp that I have seen has been 80c (I do not mine). ...but with 1140MHz OC and something like +56mV, VRAM at 1400MHz. Fan at auto, max rpm was around 2100. 1140MHz needed a bit more voltage to be artifact free though so I'll just stick with 1120MHz. At stock speeds and volts VRM1 would probably just barely hit 70c or stay below. VRM2 has stayed in 60s.

vrm2 is rarely an issue unless you overclock the crap out of your memory (its the vrm for the memory chips)

i have a gelid icy vision on my 290, and 1100 will push my vrm1 into the 90s.

Even at stock clocks do the temps go that high? Im not sure if yours is a black edition. Also is gpuz more accurate than afterburner?

Even at stock clocks do the temps go that high? Im not sure if yours is a black edition. Also is gpuz more accurate than afterburner?

I didn't bother running BF4 on stock clocks, stock clocks on Heaven prior to tuning was seeing 96c.. Non black edition

Last edited:
The VRM issue is why I canceled my 2 card XFX DD order from AMAZON a couple of days ago.

The VRM issue is why I canceled my 2 card XFX DD order from AMAZON a couple of days ago.

I don't get it, why would they repeat the same shit as the last generation.... Its too bad, too because the 290 and 14.1 drivers are working better for me than my POS 660Ti...

When did 100°C become a deal breaker for VRM temps ("insanely high")? I can remember posting this info in the past and being told it's nothing because VRM's are spec'd to 125°C. Now that we have AMD cards pushing 100°C it's a game stopper? How come?
Source: Hardware.fr

IMG0033453.png

Gainward 580 Phantom

IMG0033457.png

Gigabyte 580 SOC

IMG0033457.png

Zotac 580 Amp²

IMG0036394.png

GTX 690

Even little old 660 ti runs close to 100°C

IMG0037887.png

Asus 660 ti DCII Top

IMG0037885.png

EVGA 660 ti SC

Because it limits overclocking, I would assume.
Other comparable cards are running 70C~80C which makes the XFX product inferior.

Yeah... XFX. Inferior. What a shocker.

I guess my point is that +100°C VRM temps is nothing new. It's been going on for a long time. GTX 460's ran high VRM temps but people O/C'd the piss out of them without issues. I honestly believe it's hype being perpetuated by people who are confusing GPU/CPU temp limits with VRM temp limits.

I guess my point is that +100°C VRM temps is nothing new. It's been going on for a long time. GTX 460's ran high VRM temps but people O/C'd the piss out of them without issues. I honestly believe it's hype being perpetuated by people who are confusing GPU/CPU temp limits with VRM temp limits.

If it only takes 5 minutes to hit 101c on 1.1mv, what do you think its going to run after a long session at 1.25mv....

If it only takes 5 minutes to hit 101c on 1.1mv, what do you think its going to run after a long session at 1.25mv....

I don't know? Was this right before the fan ramped up? Considering you said it's voltage locked, I guess we won't know. I do know that those other cards I listed all stood up fine to O/C'ing. The custom 580's especially, and those cards are starting off well over 100°C at factory clocks.

I guess that's what happens when a PCB is designed for a $400-$550 card and needs to handle 300W? There's not a lot of room in the budget to over engineer it. I'm not sure though, as I don't have one to test, unfortunately. :'(

Is it just the 290X DD that's voltage unlocked? Or is it just the black editions (290-290X)? I recall reading a review where they overvolted one of them.

Because VRMs are one of the most common components to die on a video card if you are pushing them, such as with overclocking. Back in 2009 I had a BFG GTX 280 OC and it ran fine for about a year with VRM temps up to 115C, and then *poof* it died.

You can see other posts on the forums about people with dead VRMs from mining and other activities that stress the cards for long periods of time.

It's just not an excusable design flaw in my opinion. The reference 290X cooler, loud as it is under load, keeps both of my VRMs below 90. If a company develops an aftermarket cooler that doesn't cool the VRMs well that's just poor design IMO.

Those are my thoughts on the matter.

High VRM temps also uses/wastes considerably more power. They're just less efficient. Don't understand how these companies don't pay at least some attention to the VRMs. The reference coolers are terrible for cooling and noise but even they get good VRM temps. Clearly it's something AMD considers important.

On the reference cooler I was seeing 65-75C on the VRMs whilst mining. Now they're under water and in the 50s.

I don't know? Was this right before the fan ramped up? Considering you said it's voltage locked, I guess we won't know. I do know that those other cards I listed all stood up fine to O/C'ing. The custom 580's especially, and those cards are starting off well over 100°C at factory clocks.

I guess that's what happens when a PCB is designed for a $400-$550 card and needs to handle 300W? There's not a lot of room in the budget to over engineer it. I'm not sure though, as I don't have one to test, unfortunately. :'(

Is it just the 290X DD that's voltage unlocked? Or is it just the black editions (290-290X)? I recall reading a review where they overvolted one of them.

I appreciate your limited insight, however its apparent you really have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to the 290(X), nor have you been following other AIB releases and why VRM temps are important on AMD cards.

I never said the card was voltage locked, read the meminfo or Hawaiiinfo, its a locked 290 meaning its not going to flash to a 290x.

Other AIB cards are staying under 80c on the VRM's OC'ed at 1.2mv, I'm not about to sit and let this thing mine 24/7 if its as bad as it is now; its not going to be long for this world.

I appreciate your limited insight, however its apparent you really have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to the 290(X), nor have you been following other AIB releases and why VRM temps are important on AMD cards.

I never said the card was voltage locked, read the meminfo or Hawaiiinfo, its a locked 290 meaning its not going to flash to a 290x.

Other AIB cards are staying under 80c on the VRM's OC'ed at 1.2mv, I'm not about to sit and let this thing mine 24/7 if its as bad as it is now; its not going to be long for this world.

When you said it was locked and you were talking about voltage and VRM temps I assumed you you meant voltage locked. Locked cores never entered my mind in the context of the post.

I'll just leave the rest of your post where you tell me what I don't know or haven't followed. I'll just leave what I've said and let you carry on. It's your thread and I don't want to drag it down any further.

Cheers.

VRMs are usually spec'd to run 120C+.
My car's engine is spec'd to run up to 6800RPM but that doesn't mean the manufacturer gives you an okay to drive around full throttle in second gear all day.

Hope for you it's a lease or you have a fund set up for new tranny. Maybe that's why people steer clear of used GPUs for mining.

Hope for you it's a lease or you have a fund set up for new tranny. Maybe that's why people steer clear of used GPUs for mining.

What the fuck does running the engine at 6800 all day have to do with the tranny. He said Second Gear, so it's not like its even shifting at that RPM. He's either A: got it locked in L or 2 on an auto, or B: Drives a stick, like a real man. When the timing belt snaps and the pistons bend all the valves, or he spins a bearing or two in the bottom end, that's when he'll need to spend the money for running the car at red line all day. Shit, my S2000 loved 9k rpms.

VRMs are specced to goto 125c. If VRM temps are restricting your OC, go with a board with a beefier VRM setup. No one is holding a gun to your head saying buy XFX. XFX built the card to run at the settings they specify. If it's under 100c at those settings, I'd say they engineered the card just dandy.

Comprehension...

drive around full throttle in second gear all day

125C is max and if you drive it at max all the time it means more prone to failure and shorter life.

People care because there are variations out XFX out there that run much lower VRM temp. Same reason you would care about if your S2000 has a defect where it runs hotter than normal and less optimally.

XFX R9 290X DD arrived today. It's a Ver 4 according to white sticker on box and I thought I saw reference to that on the card too. Anyhow, verdict is after 30 mins of BF4 at 1080p ultra full screen it's registering VRM1 74C and VRM2 60C. VRM1 80C and VRM2 61C for Heaven Benchmark at 1080p full screen, ultra quality, extreme tessellation, x8 AA but no stereo 3D. All stock settings with one side panel off.

vrm1_zpsd0ee62d8.png

Last edited:
Comprehension...

125C is max and if you drive it at max all the time it means more prone to failure and shorter life.

People care because there are variations out XFX out there that run much lower VRM temp. Same reason you would care about if your S2000 has a defect where it runs hotter than normal and less optimally.

Comprehension, 6800rpms in second gear is going to do nothing to the tranny and everything to the engine.

The DD 290 from XFX has VRM temps around 80-100c. So it has 25c buffer. I don't see the problem. You want a card with better VRM cooling, buy a card that has better VRM cooling.

I think the problem is that some users and most (all?) reviews of the card are showing much lower VRM temps and thus the concern. It's hard to make an informed decision when some users show 75C and some users show 100C.

I do wonder if some of the discrepancy is users who have smaller cases and/or air flow problems.

Comprehension, 6800rpms in second gear is going to do nothing to the tranny and everything to the engine.

The DD 290 from XFX has VRM temps around 80-100c. So it has 25c buffer. I don't see the problem. You want a card with better VRM cooling, buy a card that has better VRM cooling.

Comprehension...

Prolong driving at high gear with low RPM will put load on the engine and shorten its life. Since people don't want to kill their transmission or engine running at either extremes they prefer a mid point and with VRM temp it exists as shown. Plus, it could impact the stable operation and/or life of nearby components with lower temperature rating.

My car's engine is spec'd to run up to 6800RPM but that doesn't mean the manufacturer gives you an okay to drive around full throttle in second gear all day.

Apples and oranges.

Comprehension...

Prolong driving at high gear with low RPM will put load on the engine and shorten its life. Since people don't want to kill their transmission or engine running at either extremes they prefer a mid point and with VRM temp it exists as shown. Plus, it could impact the stable operation and/or life of nearby components with lower temperature rating.

You are confusing temperature with heat. 300w (just picking a number) going through the VRM is going to generate the same "heat" whether the VRM "temperature" is measuring 60°C or 100°C.

Last edited:
Apples and oranges.

You are confusing temperature with heat. 300w (just picking a number) going through the VRM is going to generate the same "heat" whether the VRM "temperature" is measuring 60°C or 100°C.

Strictly speaking not...Because temperature effects electrical resistance.

Back