The WTF Door Design of the Day

yeah was going to say, hmmm steel door moving parts, scissor like motion... keep away from kids!

Also wonder if it lets air through, or is this a decoration only type of thing.

yeah was going to say, hmmm steel door moving parts, scissor like motion... keep away from kids!

Also wonder if it lets air through, or is this a decoration only type of thing.

didn't look like the pieces could be that air tight. so I am guessing more decoration than anything.

Other than looking cool, this is inferior to your standard door in every way.

Extremely hard, if not impossible, to make windproof.
You'll need twice the wall space to open it.
Higher injury hazard than a normal door. Sure it looks cool but you have a few fingers less.
Problems making it sturdy, flex easily.
Haw do you make it lock securely?
Hard to make isolated for rain or cold climat.

My cousin lost fingers to something like this when he was a kid, looks cool but not practical of course.

Higher injury hazard than a normal door. Sure it looks cool but you have a few fingers less.

Efficient or very functional? Fuck no.

Looks cool? Yes, indeed.

It's an artsy fartsy world out there these days.

LOL

It's art.

I would not want to get my finger caught on the wrong side of that door when it's in motion. However, who has never pinched a fingertip or other body part between a conventional door and its frame?

The guy in the video might have lost part of his arm while making the last part of the video. Notice how it doesn't show his left hand at the end and the arm of the jacket was kinda flopping around...:) :O

I would not want to get my finger caught on the wrong side of that door when it's in motion. However, who has never pinched a fingertip or other body part between a conventional door and its frame?

difference between a door and a scissoring piece of metal

Looks like a great way to lose a hand...

Very interesting but not at all a safe design.
Different does not equal good or better.

I always wondered why disappearing pocket doors didn't make it into homes. Doors that disappear into the wall like on Star Trek. I can only guess the mechanism to make them work is too much trouble to fool with.

Very interesting but not at all a safe design.
Different does not equal good or better.

I always wondered why disappearing pocket doors didn't make it into homes. Doors that disappear into the wall like on Star Trek. I can only guess the mechanism to make them work is too much trouble to fool with.

Because walls have all sorts of shit stuffed into them. And putting in pocket doors probably means redoing your houses wiring.

If the door opened into the wall (like any scifi movie fore instance), and with simple insulation you answer most of those. with it built into the frame/wall it'd be just as secure. You have to look at it as proof of concept, not anything like what the consumer level product would look like.

Make it a pocket door, add a rail system around the pivot points, and use tempered glass to encase the door.

All the art and cool factor with 100% less chop chop.

Because walls have all sorts of shit stuffed into them. And putting in pocket doors probably means redoing your houses wiring.

You are talking about a retrofit. I mean these being built into new homes, and thus part of the design.

They would have to be powered at least to trigger the operation but the design can be a simple as a spring loaded mechanism with a pneumatic cylinder to cushion the opening and closing so there is no BANG when operating.
I would guess the lowest common denominator wins out here. A old fashion door needs none of this so they are cheap.

Gotta give big props for making this in real life. The preview image had me thinking this would be just another design school grad students masturbatory CGI project.

For everyone saying it's dangerous, there's another video out there (on youtube, I believe) showing the guy putting his fingers into it. You can't see it in this video, but he designed it with padding between the panels to ensure you can't hurt yourself that way. I'm too lazy to hunt the video down myself at the moment.

Now just sharpen the support braces that look like scissors ...

It looks like one of those door designs that was created b/c it is possible, but I don't see this flooding the market place anytime soon. Many others have already noted the shaky safety aspects.

Back