Mac Pro Has A 'Removable' Intel Processor

HardOCP News

[H] News
Apple, now with removable Intel processors! Another amazing industry first for Apple, what will they think of next?

A teardown of the new Mac Pro indicates that the Intel processor may be removable, offering the tantalizing prospect of user upgrades, according to reports. Apple blogs reported on Friday that a teardown reveals that the Mac Pro is socketed, which typically means the processor can be removed from the system by the user and upgraded.

which mac pro didn't have a socketed processor? I changed out the xeons in my 2006 mac pro without issue... how is this news?

next article will be "new mac pro, has removable keyboard and mouse!"

Great. Now Apple will start suing hardware manufacturers with socketed processors. :D

Seriously, I think the Mac Pro's have always been upgradable.

which mac pro didn't have a socketed processor? I changed out the xeons in my 2006 mac pro without issue... how is this news?

It's not, but it being about Apple means it has to go on the front page. It's a law around here, didn't you know?

I heard the new Mac Pro even lets you get work done.

because in the past for non Pro models, laptops, IMac's et cetera, Apple was known to solder in the CPU in their systems claiming "better stability" reasons....

But the Pro lines you could always change out most all hardware with only the video card being a limited factor due to custom BIOS's for OSX.

Older Motorola-based Macs were removable and replaceable as well. This is non-news.

I dunno man, HardOCP likes to troll on Apple sometimes. This time undeservedly so.

Given the new form factor, I'm kind of surprised they're not soldered in myself.

Even with a foolproof process, the high end CPUs offered with the Pros seem rather expensive to not be reconfigurable. I'd hate to have a pile of motherboards with the +$3500 CPUs soldered onto them sit around for months until they sold... particularly on the off chance the price would drop 25% one month after I'd ordered them for delivery to the motherboard maker.

omg, this is ground breaking. why hasn't anyone thought of this before? :rolleyes:

I think the *surprise* here is that it is an extremely custom form factor and yet the processor is still upgradeable.

Frankly, I'm a little surprised by this. Generally when manufacturers go with custom form factors (especially when its for compactness) they use hard mounted chips. A socket and mounting hardware takes up valuable space.

NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256MB (single-link DVI and dual-link DVI)

That's from the 2006 Mac Pro....7 years ago. You know back when the 7000 series was current.

It's not, but it being about Apple means it has to go on the front page. It's a law around here, didn't you know?

Haha but it's fun to read all the whining and hating from all the "experts" and self proclaimed know it all's on this site after Apple news posts :)

now..

in before moar apple whining..

It could play Crysis. Just not on it's native OS... I wonder if the custom BIOS play nice with Windows?

+1 yeah I would like put in windows on one of that. (first I would like to be able to afford one).

Be glad they don't have patent for square cpus or intel would have to make triangle sockets :D

I think the *surprise* here is that it is an extremely custom form factor and yet the processor is still upgradeable.

Frankly, I'm a little surprised by this. Generally when manufacturers go with custom form factors (especially when its for compactness) they use hard mounted chips. A socket and mounting hardware takes up valuable space.

That's from the 2006 Mac Pro....7 years ago. You know back when the 7000 series was current.

LOL dont break the haters illusion like that. Let them think Apple sucks, better for us who get Apple gear without paying a cent for it. :D

Wow, guess Apple will patent removable processors and sue everyone else that does it. They may even start using non soldered hard drives and patent "solderless hard drive connection technology". Also known as a sata connector. Though may as well make it as broad as possible and patent it as "a method to add and remove electrical components without using solder". Let the lawsuits fly! Everything from PCs to breadboard manufacturers.

Be glad they don't have patent for square cpus or intel would have to make triangle sockets :D

I think that would be cool. They could also be quad core, each core would be a mini triangle on it.

Call it the Intel Triforce I Processor. :D (with II, III and IV being future versions)

has ANYONE here seen the form factor of the new Mac Pro? Or the fact every other processor in Macs these days are all soldered in?

I'm amazed it's not soldered in, and this is also great news!

One of the people commenting on that article was also talking about how he (in the old days) was able to upgrade his old pre-G3 Power Mac to a G4 through upgrade cards etc... I'm sorry folks but the days of that are FAR over. Certain chipsets and sockets only support certain processors, there's no way to make it work without first having everything match up correctly nowadays.

Incredible.

Apple leads PC manufacturing with innovation and air tight engineering as usual.

Wow, guess Apple will patent removable processors and sue everyone else that does it. They may even start using non soldered hard drives and patent "solderless hard drive connection technology". Also known as a sata connector. Though may as well make it as broad as possible and patent it as "a method to add and remove electrical components without using solder". Let the lawsuits fly! Everything from PCs to breadboard manufacturers.
why would apple bother patenting an old technology they've already shot past like a rocketship? how fast is sata3 again? Mac Pro is reading/writing at 900MB/s+ !

Sure the socket is there, but good damn good luck getting a bios update to support microcode update if you get a processor with a later stepping.

Sure the socket is there, but good damn good luck getting a bios update to support microcode update if you get a processor with a later stepping.

I put in a later xeon in my 2006 mac pro that apple never shipped (quad core low voltage) and instead of saying the model it just says "Xeon" since I guess it has no idea what it is... but it works just fine ;)

why would apple bother patenting an old technology they've already shot past like a rocketship? how fast is sata3 again? Mac Pro is reading/writing at 900MB/s+ !

So that only they can use it (perhaps for their lower end stuff), and everyone else can't.

Look, I know the policy around here is to shove as much Mac news and as many Hover hound popups as possible into every single thread view, but literally every other major builder has been making computers with socketed processors for decades. This is not news.

good point...it's impossible to get a BIOS update for a Mac lmao

Er the SSD is attached via a PCI-e Gen 3.0 bus.

SATA 3 is far too slow for a storage device.

Back