Anti-Elop Fever within Microsoft is Astonishing

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
It looks like one more top candidate for the open CEO position at Microsoft has fallen out of favor and of the running according to a Bloomberg report.

One thing is certain: if Elop manages to defy his ruthless critics inside Microsoft and grab the CEO baton, he is going to start a purge that will clean out the upper ranks of the company with vengeance.

This is beginning to feel like Idiocracy. Why would they think to hire the moron who blew up Nokia?

This is beginning to feel like Idiocracy. Why would they think to hire the moron who blew up Nokia?

Well, if we wanted to do a conspiracy banker theory here ..

- Board members short MSFT stock
- Hire Elop as CEO
- Watch comfortably as he tanks the company
- Sell short
- Buy more shares
- Fire Elop as CEO and hire a proper candidate.

Technically not insider trading since Elop isn't in on it. ;)

Of course they'd have to be f-in nuts to do that.

I can't imagine Elop was ever in the loop. I think the rumor was started by a idiotic media wank who saw that a former CEO of a major company was an employee at Microsoft and assumed CEO = ability to run a company. Elop, would easily rank in the list of worst 50 CEOs, I am really surprised Microsoft hasn't canned his ass yet. My guess they have to keep paying him for a while because of how the sale was written.

Why did Chrysler hire Bob Nardelli, who fucked up Home Depot so badly they paid $250 million to tell him to fuck off, and the stock JUMPED 10% the day of the news? It's only stupid or crazy if you assume that boards are interested in management performance, instead of patting each other on the back and ensuring a blissfully unaccountable future for each other.

There's a reason so many corporate execs are board members of other corporations.

He was the one I wanted as CEO. Microsoft needs to re-focus on what they do best and that is design and support businesses with great software. There's no need, room, or want for Microsoft to be in the entertainment business.

He was the one I wanted as CEO. Microsoft needs to re-focus on what they do best and that is design and support businesses with great software. There's no need, room, or want for Microsoft to be in the entertainment business.

Can you somehow relate this to his running Nokia into the ground and how that experience would allow him to 'focus on what they do best and that is design and support businesses with great software.'? I gather, you think he's the best candidate to be able to accomplish what you feel needs to be done at Microsoft (focusing on one segment and dominating it versus diversifying to anywhere and everywhere).

That being said.... what about his past experiences makes you think he's the guy to do it? Keeping Nokia all about cellphones til it was ridden right into the ground?

Well, if we wanted to do a conspiracy banker theory here ..

- Board members short MSFT stock
- Hire Elop as CEO
- Watch comfortably as he tanks the company
- Sell short
- Buy more shares
- Fire Elop as CEO and hire a proper candidate.

Technically not insider trading since Elop isn't in on it. ;)

Of course they'd have to be f-in nuts to do that.

Being F'in nuts while in most low level sectors considered to be a drawback and grounds for being locked up...in high finance or white-collar offices is generally considered a professional boon.

I have to disagree. while it might have its bumps. Consumers like the Xbox line. They like Microsoft studio games. Under a different name you wouldn't have any issue with them. But slap the M word down and suddenly they are the worst company ever.

Talking about supplying businesses with great software. From how it sounded he wanted to basically kill of just about everything besides office. Never heard anything about wanting to focus on windows and office, just that all focus needs to be diverted to make Office the main software that the company works on and release. if anything is hurting Office it is the cost. Besides that it is what most places uses. And in the case of some of the software parts of it, it is hard to find an equal or anything close to the same level as some of the parts. If you want to focus on the software side then great, but make it all the products that got them to where they are. Not just the one part that there is little still around that they haven't already killed off that can compete with them.

Meet the new boss
Same as the old boss

as long as Gates & Ballmer are still alive &/or still invested in MS, there will be no significant change at MS, just more of the same old same old

If Elop wants to ditch Xbox and Bing then I agree with his course of action. Both aren't important for the future direction of the company. A company like MS derives most of its income from the enterprise market, it isn't an entertainment or hardware company like Sony.

Instead, they should shift their focus back to the PC and push harder there while also maintaining their tablet/smartphone presence. Convergence devices was a good idea 10 years ago but reality hasn't panned out the way they thought and never will. Besides, this is probably the last gen of consoles we see before all of it is shifted to the cloud with games streamed to users.

The problem with american business leadership is extremely apparent in Microsofts selection process.

You can't possibly expect a business leader from a completely different industry with close to no product knowledge to come in and run Microsoft.

Mulally ran Ford. That should disqualify him instantly.

Businesses aren't fungible. In order to be an effective leader of a business you NEED to have intimate knowledge of the industry, preferably having worked in it your entire career.

American CEO's are all to often Finance guys or lawyers, when the Europeans - who are doing it right - have PhD's in Engineering and science related to the fields their industry is in running the show...

Anyone chosen to be Microsoft's next CEO should have had a lifelong career leading up to this point in Software, and be an expert on software.

Zarathustra[H];1040431003 said:
The problem with american business leadership is extremely apparent in Microsofts selection process.

You can't possibly expect a business leader from a completely different industry with close to no product knowledge to come in and run Microsoft.

Mulally ran Ford. That should disqualify him instantly.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. You might want to put on the flamesuit before thet Mulally apologists arrive.

Businesses aren't fungible. In order to be an effective leader of a business you NEED to have intimate knowledge of the industry, preferably having worked in it your entire career.

American CEO's are all to often Finance guys or lawyers, when the Europeans - who are doing it right - have PhD's in Engineering and science related to the fields their industry is in running the show...

Anyone chosen to be Microsoft's next CEO should have had a lifelong career leading up to this point in Software, and be an expert on software.

Yep, same thing I've been saying. Companies like these need people who can innovate, not 'run the business'.

If Elop wants to ditch Xbox and Bing then I agree with his course of action. Both aren't important for the future direction of the company. A company like MS derives most of its income from the enterprise market, it isn't an entertainment or hardware company like Sony.

Instead, they should shift their focus back to the PC and push harder there while also maintaining their tablet/smartphone presence. Convergence devices was a good idea 10 years ago but reality hasn't panned out the way they thought and never will. Besides, this is probably the last gen of consoles we see before all of it is shifted to the cloud with games streamed to users.

Elop is now the head honcho for the XBox:

http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-devices-and-studios-leader-julie-larson-green-moving-to-new-role-in-company

Good, I hope he fucks it up, and Xbox dies. I'm so angry about Windows 8.1 bullshit that I'd be happy to see Microsoft go out of business entirely and never buy another one of their products. Only now do I see the appeal of a Steambox: PC gaming without Microsoft fucking it up.

Only now do I see the appeal of a Steambox: PC gaming without Microsoft fucking it up.

Sure, as though we'd even have PC gaming without Microsoft and think that something as irrelevant as a Steambox would ever replace Windows in PC gaming especially today with the meteoric rise of mobile devices. As much as people want to bemoan Microsoft over PC gaming, it's the only company that's ever dedicated serious resources to the effort. And no, not out of the kindness of its heart, just the only one because of market position.

Back