Court Orders Google, Microsoft & Yahoo to Make Pirate Sites Disappear

HardOCP News

[H] News
I'm not sure how the French courts think this is going to work. Enforcing this is going to be a nightmare. Pirate sites pop up like weeds, change domains in a blink of any eye and even move servers to other countries if need be. :(

While its common for search engines to receive DMCA takedown requests for specific URLs, events in France have taken things to a whole new level. In order to protect the copyrights of film producers, the High Court of Paris has concluded a 2011 case by ordering Google, Microsoft and Yahoo to completely de-list 16 video streaming sites from their search results.

There was an internet before there were any search engines. They are not the internet like noobs think they are.

C'est Genial!

(Yeah I'm too lazy to put the accents)

I wonder if a p2p based search engine is in order though. If the government is going towards censoring what search engines can show who knows how far this could go in the future. Censoring piracy sites is a joke though. Most people use a few pirate sites and know them and go directly to them. But nothing stops them from censoring stuff that may matter, such as alternate energy.

Well this is the kind of stupidity you get when you have people that probably can't even turn on a computer making decisions about technology. If I was Google, MS or Yahoo, I'd start removing ALL links to the movie/music in question whether they are pirate or legit.

"You, Google!" They yelled. "You own the internet, get it under control."

And then nothing changed and they all grumbled happily ever after.

You would think governments would welcome Google search results, might make it easier for them to shut down websites with infringing material if they themselves knew what websites they were :D

You would think governments would welcome Google search results, might make it easier for them to shut down websites with infringing material if they themselves knew what websites they were :D
they should bring in a box of glass tubes and put them on the judge's desk in chambers an say, "your honor, we think we got 'em all" :D

Only a matter of time before the entertainment industry changes french laws to make it illegal for a search engine to show pirate sites.

Typical of the entertainment industry,they want to suck the consumer dry of every penny,but they're too cheap to enforce their own copyrights. They want the government to waste taxpayers dollars to do the job for them.

I wonder if a p2p based search engine is in order though. If the government is going towards censoring what search engines can show who knows how far this could go in the future. Censoring piracy sites is a joke though. Most people use a few pirate sites and know them and go directly to them. But nothing stops them from censoring stuff that may matter, such as alternate energy.

FreeNet... already exists...

I know this has zero to do with the actual discussion, but when reading the front page I thought this link said;

"Court Orders Google, Microsoft & Yahoo to Make Pirate Ships Disappear"

reading comp fail...

French courts really have an extreme problem with thinking that their wishes can make things so.

Block the internet entirely from France. That way the rest of the planet doesn't have to listen to them whine.

Back