Comcast Mulls Buying Time Warner Cable

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
You can really tell when all of their subscribers begin to pull the plug and go all Internet, cable companies start looking around for a remedy. The obvious choice is to consolidate and cut your losses.

So if a merger does happen, regulators would likely be fine with it provided a rather lengthy list of stipulations were met that would improve cable and Internet service for everyon

Well if all the cable companies would stop letting ESPN extort them and their customers they might be in a better position. I've never watched an ESPN channel, but I hate knowing that it takes up most of my cable bill. Also they need to cut back on the crazy equipment fees. $25 a month for a DVR is just stupid. Just let me buy my own equipment and use it without a ton a restrictions.

Well if all the cable companies would stop letting ESPN extort them and their customers they might be in a better position. I've never watched an ESPN channel, but I hate knowing that it takes up most of my cable bill. Also they need to cut back on the crazy equipment fees. $25 a month for a DVR is just stupid. Just let me buy my own equipment and use it without a ton a restrictions.
In general 'content' should be a seperate bill (or bill line item) from the wires & maintenance and the Cable co. should allow much more flexibity in your content. In the past you could say there was a technical impasse to doing that easily but now since they've forced most to encrypted cable boxes.

+1. I've looked at my cable bill and ways of trying to cut it down. Everyone always talks about how channels add up in price, but honestly, the equipment makes up 1/4 of my $250 bill. It's $30 here for the box, but I have 2 TV's, which doubles that. Oh, and then there are the two remotes that they also charge $10 apiece for. In one year alone, you've probably spent more on renting the equipment than it would cost to buy the thing.

I hope it doesn't happen. TWC has no monthly data cap and that would end with Comcast purchase.

Yeah, stipulations, blah blah. They'd meet them up front, but on the back end through loop holes they'd combine everything that was bad about the two and ditch everything that was good. We'd be stuck with TWC speeds and Comcast's caps. Fuck them both in the ass.

Monopolizing the cable industry is not a good move, and that's exactly where that path leads.

Great. Another super conglomerate monopoly with less competition. Woo-hoo.

That $25/month for the DVR isn't for the equipment. It's the extra charges from the content providers (local channels, cable only channels, pay channels) that extort the cable company for not suing them for having a DVR service.

It's way past time to tell the "content providers" that much of their content sucks, and we're not going to pay for it when we aren't watching it. It's way past time to tell the sports industries that their athletes aren't better heroes than our armed forces, (heck, they aren't even better heroes than retail store managers or small business owners) and don't deserve their massive salaries. It's way, way, WAY past time to tell these entertainment executives that they do not deserve the seven figure salaries just for what little work they actually do.

Cut the cord. Get rid of TV entirely. screw "the man." Play video games.

Two crappy companies join forces to be one super crappy company.

+1. I've looked at my cable bill and ways of trying to cut it down. Everyone always talks about how channels add up in price, but honestly, the equipment makes up 1/4 of my $250 bill. It's $30 here for the box, but I have 2 TV's, which doubles that. Oh, and then there are the two remotes that they also charge $10 apiece for. In one year alone, you've probably spent more on renting the equipment than it would cost to buy the thing.

You pay $250 a month?! :O Damn dude...

I hope it doesn't happen. TWC has no monthly data cap and that would end with Comcast purchase.

It would be inadvisable for them to try that with me, since I control the purse strings on DIA connects (fiber) totaling 5 figures a month with Time Warner Cable. In addition, I would start billing them for the infrastructure that they run through my property and remove it if they refuse to pay.

Come on people it's not so bad. Just instead of a defacto monopoly you have a dejure one.

FML if this happens. I have TW internet and have no cap at all and don't want one. Sad part is that all I have as an alternative to TW is Verizon DSL or DishNetwork and I want neither.

Not this makes it any better, but most of Comcast's data caps have been suspended it multiple territories. I live in Oregon and there hasn't been a cap in effect since Summer 2011

I only have Internet from Cablevision. I couldn't stand the junk on Cable these days. Broadcast TV is a dinosaur in todays world of netflix and hulu.

You pay $250 a month?! :O Damn dude...

It's what happens because of Cable monopolies. There's the cheap basic package, but if you want DVR service or HD or movie channels in any of that, you can't just have the basic package, you need to upgrade to their mid tier package. While the basic package costs about $30/month, the next tier is $60/month. As I stated earlier, there's the equipment, which is $30/box, $10/remote, and I have 2 TVs, so that's ~$80 right there. That's $140 right there. There's also a cable fee (I don't know what that is) and tax which raises the price up. And now, I can start choosing the packages to add on that I'm after. And of course, there's 1 channel I watch that's bundled with 20 other channels I couldn't care less about in one package, and another channel I watch with another series of channels I don't care about.

This is why I don't have a problem with higher a la carte prices. I watch maybe 10 or 11 channels at most, and would probably cut the cord completely if HBO, Showtime, and Cinemax sold their services without being tied to expensive TV packages. (Also watch the Biography channel a lot, which I have no clue why that's in a package with ESPN).

In this area we had Insight Communications. a year ago TWC bought the company out and this summer they finalized it. Its been a downhill slope of awful since. If it switched to Comcast i would likely cancel.

I unfortunately also pay $254 a month to TWC for my cable package as well. I'm not sure what all channels we get. I think everything except the Sports Packages, Encore and Starz. We also have "whole house DVR" that only one person in the house uses and they only use it in one bedroom. The other two DVR boxes don't get used as a DVR and only one of those two are actually connected to a TV. They also pay for a telephone line as well, that no one in the house uses. I think it rings like once a month and no one answers it when it does ring.

The only thing I use is the 50Mbps Internet connection we have. I don't even have a "TV" in my bedroom and I never go in the living room to watch TV. If I watch anything I stream it off the Internet on my PC. I have a network tuner but I'm not going to get a cable card from TWC to make use of it. My roommates have been talking about dropping the Cable TV part of the Cable service and going with DirectTV anyway, not that I care since I don't watch TV anyway.

The only thing shitty about that is when they do drop the cable service down to only Cable Internet, I'm still going to be expected to pay 1/3 of the DirectTV bill as well despite the fact that I wont use any of it. Not sure how I can inform them that I shouldn't have to pay for an entertainment service that I don't even use, nor do I ever intend to use it.

I have a story to share and I will try and keep it brief ( doubtful) 1st of all, I've been on the internet for 20 years. 2013 was my anniversary date. My first IPS was Databank out of Lawrence, Kansas, 1993 and I was 24 I think. 9600 baud dial-up via Windows 3.11 and Trumpet Winsock. To put that into a bit of perspective, I and I am sure many others beta tested Windows 95 a year later in fall of 94.

I was addicted to the internet almost from the start. See, I had already been spending $100 - $200 a month and sometimes more calling up Amiga BBS's, mostly in NYC but also the UK, Germany as well on my Amiga 500. So you can see that BBS's and the Internet go hand in hand. Outside communication and content.

A few years later I saved up and got Direct PC. Up-front hardware cost $600 and unlimited service cost me $129 a month. Direct PC obviously made my internet experience better but only briefly each day as FAP would kick in and cripple speeds for a few hours. Everyone hated FAP including me ( Fair Access Policy ) This was around 1996 maybe.

In Dec of 1999 I started to hear rumors that Cox Communications in Topeka, KS, the local cable company was testing broadband internet with it's employes. I remember racing down to where I sometimes paid my bill and speaking with one of the girls. She didn't know much but confirmed that yes, they would very soon offer super faster internet service. I was also very lucky in that one of the service techs was standing near and came over and even gave me more info as he was personally testing out the service in his home and had been for a few months. He took my name down and told me he would get me on the list, if he could, for installation when they started the roll-out. In Jan of 2000, I got cable broadband and have never looked back since.

Since then I've always been lucky in that I've had pretty good service. I even tried DSL a few times only to cancel twice, both within the first day. Promises were made but the speed was never there.

Recently, I lived in Falls City, Ne and it was first community in the state of Nebraska to have Fiber Optic Internet. This was nearly 3 years ago. For those of you that have Fiber Optic now, you know how incredible the latency is. It's 10 - 20ms and yes, everything loads up instantly. The best way to describe this, is in the difference we all saw going from a mechanical hard-drive to SSD. It's not as profound but close. With cable, you click your link and it takes around 1.5 to 2+ seconds to get the page loaded. Of course this various from one person to the next but with Fiber, it's normally 0.5 to less than one second that you see something loading. I would guess a 50% improvement. So it's not just data speed.

Fast forward to 2010. Google announces that they are looking to start a new program called "Fiber for Communities" and asks that any cities that are interested, to register by March 26 to tell Google they're interested in the venture. Several weeks later, Kansas City, Kansas it picked. The reason for this was, from Google's perspective is that the Kansas City area already had a massive Fiber Optic infrastructure in place because of Sprint. The companies HQ is here in KC. Also, Kansas City has one of the few major internet backbones in the US. It was then that I decided I would be moving to Kansas City for Google Fiber.

Fast forward to now ......... :)

I'm living in Kansas City now and love it. The following picture will explain everything else.

VOghBKZ.jpg

I would encourage anyone to find the strength and resolve to move into a better situation for themselves if possible. I know it's not easy to move away from friend and family or especially to find a new job but if your circumstances allow for it, consider moving to a larger area, more opportunities, culture and in some cases, better internet. We moved mainly because of my GF and her web-dev company.

Man, some of you are just getting ripped off, $250? Jesus.

Google Fiber / Cable is $120 a month.

Something tells me the FCC isn't going to make this easy for Comcast.

Consumers should fight this because less competition means even higher prices. Kind of like with AT&T trying to buy out T-Mobile. TWC cable internet is actually very reasonable at $35/$40 for 15Mb/1Mb and includes free WIFI hotspot access. Or, $15 for 2Mb/1Mb but no hotspot.

Please no comcast. TWC+Comcast= Cable customers are going to be in for more of the same or worse lol

Remember back in the good ol' days when you had cable you only needed a box if you got premium pay channels like HBO? Then everyone got a box because it was "digital", but sure whatever. Then they started leasing you the equipment. If you're lucky they allow you to buy your own equipment and then just tell you to fuck off if you ever need customer support.

Got a DVR attached? That's $8-12/month
Got HD signals? That's another $10/month
Got Cable/Satellite? $7/month to lease their equipment
Got internet with that? Another $8/month

It's all a fucking racket. They charge you $60 for what used to be "basic" cable (more than just local OTA channels) then after all the additional leasing fees are taxed on you're paying nearly $80 a month.

I have a story to share and I will try and keep it brief
And why did you have that story to share? Just to let everyone know your internet experience and brag that you now have Google Fiber? I'm not trying to get on your ass or anything, but I'm wondering why that story was relevant.

And why did you have that story to share? Just to let everyone know your internet experience and brag that you now have Google Fiber? I'm not trying to get on your ass or anything, but I'm wondering why that story was relevant.

it wasnt exactly brief either if the whole point was that he moved to another city to get google fiber vs comcast or whoever (and still doesnt have the google service)?

anyway, some of you guys are crazy, $250 for what now? you gotta cancel that just for GP.

I live in Nashville, TN and I have 100mb comcast and it still has a 350gb/month cap. Ive already gotten warned twice and they said if i get a 3rd warning, I will start getting charged $10 for every 50gb I go over the 350gb cap. I had a pretty lengthy conversation with a comcast supervisor about why I have a 350gb cap with 100mb internet (their highest tier and most expensive plan) and he didnt even know comcast had data caps. WTF ? Seriously is the biggest crock of shit ever that every data plan has the same 350gb data cap regardless of speed where I live.

I live in Nashville, TN and I have 100mb comcast and it still has a 350gb/month cap. Ive already gotten warned twice and they said if i get a 3rd warning, I will start getting charged $10 for every 50gb I go over the 350gb cap. I had a pretty lengthy conversation with a comcast supervisor about why I have a 350gb cap with 100mb internet (their highest tier and most expensive plan) and he didnt even know comcast had data caps. WTF ? Seriously is the biggest crock of shit ever that every data plan has the same 350gb data cap regardless of speed where I live.

That is total BS. I have time warner and pay about 65 dollars a month for 30 mbps down. This is what my data profile looks like now.

1w1d.jpg

Some months I am just barely under 350GB, I might go over that this month. If they tried to charge me more for using more I would go ape sh*t, then bend over and take it up the @$$ because I have nowhere else to go. I really don't want to move to Kansas.

It's what happens because of Cable monopolies. There's the cheap basic package, but if you want DVR service or HD or movie channels in any of that, you can't just have the basic package, you need to upgrade to their mid tier package. While the basic package costs about $30/month, the next tier is $60/month. As I stated earlier, there's the equipment, which is $30/box, $10/remote, and I have 2 TVs, so that's ~$80 right there. That's $140 right there. There's also a cable fee (I don't know what that is) and tax which raises the price up. And now, I can start choosing the packages to add on that I'm after. And of course, there's 1 channel I watch that's bundled with 20 other channels I couldn't care less about in one package, and another channel I watch with another series of channels I don't care about.

This is why I don't have a problem with higher a la carte prices. I watch maybe 10 or 11 channels at most, and would probably cut the cord completely if HBO, Showtime, and Cinemax sold their services without being tied to expensive TV packages. (Also watch the Biography channel a lot, which I have no clue why that's in a package with ESPN).

Have you thought of getting rid of cable and going with directv or dish network?

I have directv, 2 tvs, HD, dvr, showtime. And I only pay like $110 a month.

Have you thought of getting rid of cable and going with directv or dish network?

I have directv, 2 tvs, HD, dvr, showtime. And I only pay like $110 a month.

I live in an apartment complex, so I don't get much of a choice. I looked into it before, but apparently I'm facing the wrong direction.

I really think I just need to man up and just cut the cord completely and wait for shows to come out on Blu-Ray instead.

I have a story to share and I will try and keep it brief ( doubtful) 1st of all, I've been on the internet for 20 years. 2013 was my anniversary date. My first IPS was Databank out of Lawrence, Kansas, 1993 and I was 24 I think. 9600 baud dial-up via Windows 3.11 and Trumpet Winsock. To put that into a bit of perspective, I and I am sure many others beta tested Windows 95 a year later in fall of 94.

I was addicted to the internet almost from the start. See, I had already been spending $100 - $200 a month and sometimes more calling up Amiga BBS's, mostly in NYC but also the UK, Germany as well on my Amiga 500. So you can see that BBS's and the Internet go hand in hand. Outside communication and content.

A few years later I saved up and got Direct PC. Up-front hardware cost $600 and unlimited service cost me $129 a month. Direct PC obviously made my internet experience better but only briefly each day as FAP would kick in and cripple speeds for a few hours. Everyone hated FAP including me ( Fair Access Policy ) This was around 1996 maybe.

In Dec of 1999 I started to hear rumors that Cox Communications in Topeka, KS, the local cable company was testing broadband internet with it's employes. I remember racing down to where I sometimes paid my bill and speaking with one of the girls. She didn't know much but confirmed that yes, they would very soon offer super faster internet service. I was also very lucky in that one of the service techs was standing near and came over and even gave me more info as he was personally testing out the service in his home and had been for a few months. He took my name down and told me he would get me on the list, if he could, for installation when they started the roll-out. In Jan of 2000, I got cable broadband and have never looked back since.

Since then I've always been lucky in that I've had pretty good service. I even tried DSL a few times only to cancel twice, both within the first day. Promises were made but the speed was never there.

Recently, I lived in Falls City, Ne and it was first community in the state of Nebraska to have Fiber Optic Internet. This was nearly 3 years ago. For those of you that have Fiber Optic now, you know how incredible the latency is. It's 10 - 20ms and yes, everything loads up instantly. The best way to describe this, is in the difference we all saw going from a mechanical hard-drive to SSD. It's not as profound but close. With cable, you click your link and it takes around 1.5 to 2+ seconds to get the page loaded. Of course this various from one person to the next but with Fiber, it's normally 0.5 to less than one second that you see something loading. I would guess a 50% improvement. So it's not just data speed.

Fast forward to 2010. Google announces that they are looking to start a new program called "Fiber for Communities" and asks that any cities that are interested, to register by March 26 to tell Google they're interested in the venture. Several weeks later, Kansas City, Kansas it picked. The reason for this was, from Google's perspective is that the Kansas City area already had a massive Fiber Optic infrastructure in place because of Sprint. The companies HQ is here in KC. Also, Kansas City has one of the few major internet backbones in the US. It was then that I decided I would be moving to Kansas City for Google Fiber.

Fast forward to now ......... :)

I'm living in Kansas City now and love it. The following picture will explain everything else.

VOghBKZ.jpg

Block out your email in the top but leave it in the content of the message?

I live in an apartment complex, so I don't get much of a choice. I looked into it before, but apparently I'm facing the wrong direction.

I really think I just need to man up and just cut the cord completely and wait for shows to come out on Blu-Ray instead.

That make sense then. that sucks

Back