NVIDIA Has Shield 2 In The Works Already?

HardOCP News

[H] News
Engadget got a little one on one time with NVIDIA's CEO Jen-Hsun Huang last week where they learned that, among other things, the company is already working on SHIELD 2.

Beyond discussing last week's big announcements, Huang spoke to Project Logan (aka: the next Tegra chip) and NVIDIA Shield 2 (which may be coming sooner than you'd think); Huang told us he'd love to see Logan powering the next version of Shield as representative hardware ahead of anything else.

Nothing out of the ordinary working on the next Rev as one Rev hits production. Different engineering teams need stuff to do :)

Shield 2 coming "sooner than we think?" Wait a minute, they actually sold enough (any?) of the v1 to warrant another?

I guess they're being optimistic and assuming people will waste money on those pieces of junk.

Shield 2 coming "sooner than we think?" Wait a minute, they actually sold enough (any?) of the v1 to warrant another?

I guess the point of Shield was to showcase their Tegra chip + drum up consistent press for Tegra. If the Shield project ended up completely revenue / cost neutral, it'd still be a win for them.

Wasn't Kyle one of those that was enthused about it when it was announced? Did he ever do a review?

I think its more of a proof of concept device than a "we expect to sell 100 million" device. And why not?

I think its more of a proof of concept device than a "we expect to sell 100 million" device. And why not?

Well, thats one way to look at it I suppose. Though I expect a company of nVidia's stature to at least pretend to have a more competitive approach than that. The handheld gaming market is indeed quite lucrative and has fueled much of Nintendo's success over the years. I hope nVidia would try to take a serious stab at this market more than a proof of concept.

Reminder:
Nvidia Shield was a low-cost project, ten times less than what Microsoft spent designing the controller for the Xbox One.

Not surprising. Android devices in general have very short lifespans. Why would the shield be any different?

Nvidia releases a new Tegra chipset every year, and they plan to continue to do so with Tegra 5 in 2014 and Tegra 6 is 2015. It would make sense that they would want to release a first party device with each new iteration.

Wasn't Kyle one of those that was enthused about it when it was announced? Did he ever do a review?

NVIDIA never delivered on fully wireless operation as it initially promised and till this happens we have no interest in reviewing it.

Back