Does anyone here modify BIOS files?

Gillbot

[H]F Junkie
I posted on Bios-Mods but haven't gotten a reply. I'd like to add the microcode from one bios file to another (different manufacturers) but there really isn't much info out there about how to do it.

Anyone one here familiar with the process?

I do it all the time. If they are UEFI-enabled BIOSes, then you can try using MMTool and opening up the CPU Microcode section. If it stales or crashes, then you'll need to do some slight modification with the GUID.

Another option is to use OROM/EFI Module Replacer. But this won't extract the CPU microcode, instead, it will inject the latest with your corresponding architecture.

So far MMTool seems to be working, thanks to your tips. Now to cross my fingers and hope this works!

Pulled the microcode from one file, patched it into the other and nope, still no-go. I guess there's something more to it than I thought. O-well, it was worth a shot!

is there anyhting that will allow me to read the bios file off the chip? my bios is getting corrupted and i would like to see where the problem is.

I'm curious... what do you guys use these tools / BIOS modification for? :? Making 'incompatible' CPUs work?

I'm curious... what do you guys use these tools / BIOS modification for? :? Making 'incompatible' CPUs work?

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

For example, if you have an Intel board that only has code for say an i7 but you have the Xeon equivalent, there is no reason it shouldn't work except the BIOS can't see the CPU. If you add the code for the Xeon to the BIOS, then the board can see it and will boot up.

I do it all the time. If they are UEFI-enabled BIOSes, then you can try using MMTool and opening up the CPU Microcode section. If it stales or crashes, then you'll need to do some slight modification with the GUID.

Another option is to use OROM/EFI Module Replacer. But this won't extract the CPU microcode, instead, it will inject the latest with your corresponding architecture.

Hi Solid,

Saw your post, you might be the answer to my prayers.
Can you please help me to insert D1 stepping microcode CPU (Sandy Bridge) on a P8Z77 WS board BIOS?
The board does support Sandy processors, D2 stepping. But since mine is an ES (Engineering Sample) it just won´t boot.

I never edited a BIOS before, and Im completely lost on how to do it.

Thanks!

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

For example, if you have an Intel board that only has code for say an i7 but you have the Xeon equivalent, there is no reason it shouldn't work except the BIOS can't see the CPU. If you add the code for the Xeon to the BIOS, then the board can see it and will boot up.

I have a lot to learn, because I always assumed the socket type determined which CPUs can work.

One of the most useful things about modding your bios is adding the new firmwares for various controllers. For example, I took the ICH10R firmware from a Z77 motherboard and flashed it to my R3E, and now I get trim support in Raid0 on my SSD's. Also updated jmicron, and marvell firmwares improve performance a little bit.

Back