Asus and Acer to Merge Into a Single Company?

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
The rumor mill is starting to crank up over the possible merger between Acer and Asus, two long time business rivals. Rumors began when neither of the company’s CEO would rule out such a move.

At the moment, the two CEOs just have “an open mind” about this. Acer’s Stan Shih said that any deal must be thoroughly analyzed in a way that gives maximum benefits to shareholders, employees, and even society as a whole.

Oh sweet jesus

My favorite brand of all time has to be Asus.

As long as Acer goes quietly into the night and gets absorbed into Asus ... I'm cool

Oh lord. I pray the CS somehow improves. Cause dudes and dudettes, if it gets to Acer level, I'd probably never buy another Asus product.

Oh lord. I pray the CS somehow improves. Cause dudes and dudettes, if it gets to Acer level, I'd probably never buy another Asus product.

If you've seen the various threads on horrible ASUS rma experience....I bet you'll change your mind....

What does ASUS get from this. I cannot think of anything Acer offers. Neither have good CS so forget that.

Oh sweet jesus
My favorite brand of all time has to be Asus.
As long as Acer goes quietly into the night and gets absorbed into Asus ... I'm cool

Acer has already gotten quite better in the last few years.

However, Asus has certainly gotten worse. I won't buy Asus again if I can help it.

I've had to swear off Asus motherboards due to QC issues. Their RMA process leaves a lot to be desired, too.

Have yet to have to send any Acer product in for repair or replacement.

Dear god... I can only hope that Acer quality is completely obliterated in the transfer. If this is basically a boost to ASUS so they get more cash, more power to them. However, if they integrate Acer in any way into the quality, decision making etc.. of their projects, this is abysmal. Acer is one of the least reliable junkbox companies out there - horrible customer service too, when I dealt with them years back.

If you've seen the various threads on horrible ASUS rma experience....I bet you'll change your mind....

Well, I don't have any evidence to say it isn't in general, but fairly recently I had to send back a video card, and between sending and receiving it fixed occurred within a very reasonable time frame, without any hassle.

I don't know how OEM is defined but I don't think acer was ever the largest. If you talk about shipping computers dell, HP, Lenovo all have acer beat. If acer and asus join forces then they might get a crack at that title. If you talk about actuall production of devices I think companies like quanta are bigger.

a merger sounds like a fantastic idea.

After the merger, they should set all the Acer management and design staff on fire, bulldoze all their buildings and cast all of their intellectual property into the fires of Mt Doom.

You say that as if ASUS CS was... good and or better.

I hate ASUS' (lack of) support with a passion. I care not how many bells and whistle they throw at motherboards or how much more effective and silent their graphics cards may be because heaven help me if anything should happen to my hardware. The only way I would even have an ASUS product these days is if someone gave it to me. Even then I would still feel as if they gave me the clap instead of a gift.

:(

About the only company I hate more would be OCZ. :mad:

Acer/eMachines/Gateway/Packard Bell I believe is the largest OEM in the world.

Not even remotely close to true. In fact with all their brands combined they barely sell more than ASUS alone.

To clarify.

KH339P3.png

what boggles my mind is why Acer didn't wrap all those brands into one over the last couple years. Its not like any one of those brands is known as a top end brand. They are all considered low end. They were not saving anything by keeping them separate.

what boggles my mind is why Acer didn't wrap all those brands into one over the last couple years. Its not like any one of those brands is known as a top end brand. They are all considered low end. They were not saving anything by keeping them separate.

There certainly is an advantage in the fact that if you soil your name as badly as Acer having another brand name will draw in customers that actively avoid purchasing the other brand.

I didn't know it was possible to have a worse name than e-machines. Regardless I think the bigger problem is Acer has trouble building any sort of brand name recognition. Even a bad name is at least associated with something. IE people knew e-machines were cheap shit but many bought them anyway and actually looked for them when they were just looking for something to do the job and cost as little as possible. Heck I would say that with everyone out there trying to compete for the high end maybe now is a ripe time to try to build a large low end brand. Acers brands just wont ever get any traction and from what I know they have lost market share since putting all those brands together. It reminds me very much of GM and all of their screw ups.

What does ASUS get from this. I cannot think of anything Acer offers. Neither have good CS so forget that.

One less competitor and a phase out of their products to replace them with yours.

:( asus is my favorite motherboard manufacturer.

I hate the acer pos notebook i bought on a walmart black friday.

:( asus is my favorite motherboard manufacturer.

I hate the acer pos notebook i bought on a walmart black friday.

Ok folks seriously... Acer is not that bad. You get what you pay for unlike companies like HP who will sell you a $1500 laptop that overheats itself to death in 6 months Acer is really not bad.

One less competitor and a phase out of their products to replace them with yours.

Well all the other companies like dell and HP will be happy to know that ASUS ate all of Acers problems for them.

Ok folks seriously... Acer is not that bad. You get what you pay for unlike companies like HP who will sell you a $1500 laptop that overheats itself to death in 6 months Acer is really not bad.

Yes acer really really really is that bad. I do IT for an enterprise environment which includes about 11-12 thousand SSF Acer workstations and i think we log on average about 15 or more warranty service jobs PER DAY! This figure doesn't include the amount that break down out of warranty that we simply discard.

i think less than about 5% of there acer sff pcs see their 5th birthday.

Yes acer really really really is that bad. I do IT for an enterprise environment which includes about 11-12 thousand SSF Acer workstations and i think we log on average about 15 or more warranty service jobs PER DAY! This figure doesn't include the amount that break down out of warranty that we simply discard.

i think less than about 5% of there acer sff pcs see their 5th birthday.

wow thats pretty bad. by those numbers youre losing 1/3 of them per year. is that right? i have had my acer laptop (low-end, core2solo, about 4 years old) for over 3 years now and it hasnt given me any problems. it's slow as molasses, sure, but it's run like a tank through heavy daily usage and a lot of travel and being thrown around. and the battery still lasts about 6 hours of light usage, maybe 4 watching movies. i love the little machine.

Yeah, that's about right, having to get about 15 serviced every business day would be about 4000 per year. However, there is also a large factor of repeated repairs on the same PC, as some of these PCs seem cursed as I've seen one that had 5 mainboard replacements in less than 6 months.

I don't know how OEM is defined but I don't think acer was ever the largest. If you talk about shipping computers dell, HP, Lenovo all have acer beat. If acer and asus join forces then they might get a crack at that title. If you talk about actuall production of devices I think companies like quanta are bigger.

There is a world outside of the United States. Acer is only a few hundred k units away from surpassing dell. As of 2012 stats, if acer and asus merge, they would be number one ousting HP by more than a million units a year.
This is all without cushy corporate refreshes every year. HP, Dell, and Lenovo numbers are typically skewed because lots of IT managers would rather stick with what they have as they don't want to change up brands and end up with mixes of brands to support.

I've had 2 Acer laptops. Both were far from top of the line and both have stood up remarkably well. One of them has a cracked screen thanks to my daughter, but it still works and she can play her minecraft. The other one happened to be at ground zero when a 100 gallon fish tank blew out the bottom seal and flooded the living room and used the laptop in the bag as a break water. I dried it out, took the LCD panel apart and dried the individual layers and put it back together and everything worked. It's still going after 3 years.

There is a world outside of the United States. Acer is only a few hundred k units away from surpassing dell. As of 2012 stats, if acer and asus merge, they would be number one ousting HP by more than a million units a year.
This is all without cushy corporate refreshes every year. HP, Dell, and Lenovo numbers are typically skewed because lots of IT managers would rather stick with what they have as they don't want to change up brands and end up with mixes of brands to support.

I've had 2 Acer laptops. Both were far from top of the line and both have stood up remarkably well. One of them has a cracked screen thanks to my daughter, but it still works and she can play her minecraft. The other one happened to be at ground zero when a 100 gallon fish tank blew out the bottom seal and flooded the living room and used the laptop in the bag as a break water. I dried it out, took the LCD panel apart and dried the individual layers and put it back together and everything worked. It's still going after 3 years.

Where in the hell are you getting your info from? Because you are absolutely positively DEAD wrong.

A) Lenovo is #1 worldwide not HP ATM
B) Even with Asus they still wouldnt surpass HP or lenovo.
C) the graph above is WORLDWIDE and its from last quarter

Yeah, that's about right, having to get about 15 serviced every business day would be about 4000 per year. However, there is also a large factor of repeated repairs on the same PC, as some of these PCs seem cursed as I've seen one that had 5 mainboard replacements in less than 6 months.

Honestly a cursed computer probably means something else is wrong, IE a bad PSU, RAM, power source or something.

Stats I have looked at are global. Acer was never number 1 that I can remember you are welcome to dig up the stats if you have them that suggest otherwise, when acer started their takeovers of gateway and so on they did flirt with the idea of becoming number 1, but instead they have fallen and asus / Lenovo have risen. Also it doesn't matter how you make a sale the fact is it is still a sale. Selling to businesses that you have earned contracts with is still part of your business how on earth would you think that skews statistics? Unless businesses buy 1 computer and count it as 5 it's not skewed. In fact isn't the lack of service part of what people are complaining about here? If acer had decent support why wouldn't businesses save money and buy them?

I am not saying acer computers are utter garbage or anything but there is nothing other than being cheap they do very well to make them stick out. I just sold an old Acer laptop, it had the mobo go bad and support was horrible from acer, took them forever to work on it when my sister sent it in, then they wanted $400 for a new mobo, the whole computer was barely worth that much when she bought it brand new, she said no and gave it to me. Turned out my sister spilled coffee on it and that was the real problem which I cleaned up and fixed. But it still didn't change the fact that it took them forever to diagnose the problem and let her know and it turned her away from acer after that. What acer does did decently well was offered computers that were a good price without needing the scour slick deals to get that price. You can sort of count on acer to give you a computer that is the right price for the specs. That's the only strength I think they have.

Back