FBI Taps Hacker Tactics to Spy on Suspects

HardOCP News

[H] News
The Wall Street Journal claims that the government can spy on you by remotely activating the microphone on your Android phone or your laptop. Hackers have been doing this forever, it's just creepier knowing Uncle Same does it now too.

The FBI develops some hacking tools internally and purchases others from the private sector. With such technology, the bureau can remotely activate the microphones in phones running Google Inc.'s GOOG -0.13% Android software to record conversations, one former U.S. official said. It can do the same to microphones in laptops without the user knowing, the person said. Google declined to comment.

This is another one that's been out there, and we thought they did it. Now, it just confirms it. I just hope the FBI uses warrants instead of just thinking they can do it with anyone....

Google didn't want to comment huh?

Sounds like they could close the back door if they wanted.

We really are letting ourselves slowly become 1984...
Its pathetic how shortsighted people are.

paging creepyunclegoogle

creepyunclegoogle to front page news please

They're buying tools or finding their own vulnerabilities and not disclosing them. These aren't intentional backdoors. They're exploiting software vulnerabilities like you would during a security audit or when trying to hack into a server. That's why they hire security researchers and auditors.

This is how stuff like Stuxnet got written. They get good people who find a vulnerability or contract people who found a vulnerability, whip up software to exploit it quick use it and continue to use it until someone else finds the same issue.

But it's probably google's fault that you don't understand security. Chome should call you an idiot when you write posts about how it's Orwellian.

In other news, there has been a run and now a shortage on small drill bits. Customers say they are using them to drill the cores out of the Microphones of their Smart Phones and Laptops....

This is imo a non-issue if there are warrants being properly requested and properly approved/used.

In other news, there has been a run and now a shortage on small drill bits. Customers say they are using them to drill the cores out of the Microphones of their Smart Phones and Laptops....

Well, that's a dumb way to get rid of the mic.

Do you like your now ex-Phone?

I guess I should elaborate...

If they are doing this without warrant, then it is basically the same and placing a wire/tap recording device without warrant which is still illegal I believe.

If they are doing this without warrant, then it is basically the same and placing a wire/tap recording device without warrant which is still illegal I believe.

Yes, this is technically correct, though under dispute.

90% of the laptops we deploy come back with tape on the web cam part. People are pretty paranoid when it comes to that. Some people may try something like that.

At least with my Windows phone, I don't have to worry about the FBI or NSA hacking into the phone - Microsoft just gives them the keys to do so.... ;) (joking...)

someone answer me this, Whatever happened to our Bill of Rights ? I thought they take priority over everything else?

For the People By the People

haven't been following the news much?

plenty of taxpayer money to spy on the world, no money to fix crumbling roads and bridges :mad:

Edward Snowden and Bradley Manning are fucking hard core American patriots. I salute them.

someone answer me this, Whatever happened to our Bill of Rights ? I thought they take priority over everything else?

For the People By the People

Ever hear about the Patriot Act?

lol its about time people started to wake up. We are being monitored and recorded. Everything you say ever in your life infront of any electronic device will be used against you. Bill of Rights doesn't exist anymore. Theres a shadow government which all these laws don't apply to. Theres no real freedom if your always under radar with big brother always looking over your shoulder. False sense of security for anyone to believe all these tsa workers and such are going to prevent terrorist attacks. There are places that are unguarded without fences like the power grid or the water supply. All of it is just a scam. Taking away your rights is what the real motive is. Security was never the objective.

I wonder if I can get an endorsement from Gigabyte or Papa John's for free shit if I agree to mention their product in every conversation or every post, every text message JUST for the eavesdroppers. I mean there's a new market, right?

"We'll be back to your regularly scheduled snooping after these quick messages from my sponsors"

I'd go for that...

Papa Johns sure sounds good. I don't feel terrible about myself today.

This is why I refuse to own a cellphone. They are nothing but tracking and surveillance devices.

Back