No Windows 8 or 32-bit For Battlefield 4 Alpha?

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to this forum thread at NeoGaf, invites have gone out for the Battlefield 4 Alpha. What makes this interesting is the recommended system requirements: OS: Vista SP2, Win7, Windows 8 not supported. 64-bit! 32-bit not supported.

Not that I really care too much about BF4 (it's pretty much Battlefield 3: New Maps Edition ) but that's gotta suck for Windows 8 users. Though I'm sure it will probably "work" in some manner if someone tried.

They probably are trying to focus the Alpha on a specific subset of users for the moment. Probably not a big deal. Probably.

Thats a pretty big % of the market, even 5% could be worth 100k+ easily. Them not supporting win8 for the final is like not giving it to the xbox 360.

I haven't tried a shit ton of older software on Win8, but the 10-15 programs I have installed have worked just fine. I imagine it will probably work, just not be supported.

I don't see a problem with this. Windows 8 sucks so bad that supporting it would be a waste of time. There shouldn't be anything 32-bit in 2013. The first 64-bit chip was introduced in 2003 by AMD, and Intel in 2004. So unless you have an Athlon XP or a Pentium 4 that still wants to play Battlefield 4?

win8 does not suck so bad. I can't believe people are still spewing that nonsense.

oh shit, nevermind.

I believe it was BF3 that was one of the first games to no longer support XP. it doesn't surprise me that these guys continue pushing forward by not supporting 32. By moving to a native 64 bit client they can focus on unlimited performance and memory usage.

The Windows 8 thing is probably just due to drivers, Windows 8 security or something similar. I'm sure you can get it to run, they just won't officially support it for the Alpha test.

Windows 8 sucks so bad that supporting it would be a waste of time.
There's really nothing to support. If you aren't using any defunct APIs (or for some reason targeting a Windows 8 platform in MSVC), you don't have to do anything other than validation on Windows 8. It would be very odd for BF3 to not use any such APIs (BF3 is A-OK on Windows 8) but for BF4 to use them, so I get the sense that EA/DICE just isn't doing validation on the alpha for Windows 8.

No 32-bit support is a good thing. Onward and upward.

I have been using win 8 since jan. I did have bf3 issues with t until i discovered my cisco's network magic was messing up a few programs. Since getting rid of network magic, i have had no beefs with win 8 in desktop mode ... tho the only thing i prefer vs win 7 is the task manager.

My only guess is that it has something to do with allowing BF4 into the Windows Store (probably still in review until launch).

Word on the street is that both Microsoft and video game publishers don't want you installing the blockbuster PC games directly anymore, only through DRM services like Steam, Origin, or the Windows Store.

How bout them Apples?

I've only owned every Battlefield game, including all expansions, boosters, etc... Played hundreds of hours worth of Battlefield, if not thousands.. Not a big deal that I wasn't invited, but those who played a few hours of vanilla BF3 only got into the Alpha.... F**K YOU DICE!

Im curious what BF4 is really going to do to make the upgrade from BF3 worthwhile. To me, all BF3 did over BF2 was add COD style weapon earning system and a terrible server web plugin.

I've only owned every Battlefield game, including all expansions, boosters, etc... Played hundreds of hours worth of Battlefield, if not thousands.. Not a big deal that I wasn't invited, but those who played a few hours of vanilla BF3 only got into the Alpha.... F**K YOU DICE!

your not the target for dice, they want the cod kids generation.
the kids that cant think except standing behind a wall all day.
oh CG :D

windows 8 best OS I used for gaming and desktop.
BF4 hope still live.

Im curious what BF4 is really going to do to make the upgrade from BF3 worthwhile. To me, all BF3 did over BF2 was add COD style weapon earning system and a terrible server web plugin.

There has been plenty of singleplayer and multiplayer videos of gameplay posted, especially after E3. I implore you to search BF4 in youtube to get an idea.

I don't see a problem with this. Windows 8 sucks so bad that supporting it would be a waste of time. There shouldn't be anything 32-bit in 2013. The first 64-bit chip was introduced in 2003 by AMD, and Intel in 2004. So unless you have an Athlon XP or a Pentium 4 that still wants to play Battlefield 4?

windows 8 is pretty awesome actually.

LOL! Windows 8 seems to be pretty popular with gamers, it's the second most widely used OS in the Steam survey and is growing at a much faster rate among gamers than generally with around 13% market share, far more than Vista.

Windows 8 is going to be fully replaced by 8.1, the two aren't going exist concurrently. By the time BF4 launches 8.1 will be out and it probably will have official BF4 support but 8 may not though it should still work with 8.

I figured since Sony and MS have native 64bit consoles being released that we will be getting DX11/64-bit only games within a year or so down the road. Its only been about 10 years since we jumped to x64. Its about damn time we get native 64bit programs (games!).

The email also states that most levels are missing textures and some things are highly unoptimized.

Windows 8 runs WDDM 1.2, while Vista SP2 and 7 are still 1.1. Both Intel, AMD and Nvidia can still use some optimization in 1.2 and there's a fair amount of systems out that are not completely 1.2 compliant. All they want is more information for the current largest market, so in other words nothing to see here.

When they have a beta that isn't 8 compatible then you can make a big deal about it.

So, we're talking about an Alpha yet people are drawing conclusions about how the finished game won't support Windows 8.

They will probably add support for Windows 8 in the final build, for the 23 people that use that OS on their gaming PC's.

The 64-bit only requirement will probably stick, though. The VAS limitations of 32-bit applications is becoming a pretty big limitation for things like texture resolution and map sizes.

So no Windows 8 basically means everyone will get to play then anyway...good news.

I can't start the game via Metro?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

So, we're talking about an Alpha yet people are drawing conclusions about how the finished game won't support Windows 8.

One thing that I've not seen mentioned anywhere is that "officially" the Steam client isn't supported under Windows 8: http://store.steampowered.com/about/. Only XP, Vista and 7 are listed yet 8 is the second most popular OS for Steam according to Valve's own survey. Go figure.

Unfortunate not to be able to participate. I upgraded from Vista to 8 when it was on sale, and btw my system has flawless uptime with zero crashes under 8 it doesn't 'suck' entirely, but the UI does.

if anyone has an invite that they cant use or dont want, shoot me a pm please.

Why anyone would prefer Windows 8 metro UI over the standard 7 desktop is beyond me. I would like my computer to look and behave like a computer. Not a fisher price play-set thank you.

Just because something isn't supported doesn't mean it won't work.

I could care less about Windows 8, but I FULLY support them going 64-bit only. Who the FUCK has 32-bit Windows and why would they? Seriously. Why would anyone use a 32-bit OS on ANYTHING made in the last 6 years. If you don't have the hardware to run 64-bit OSes, then you certainly shouldn't even be thinking of playing a game like BF4 lol.

Sorry, that's a fact.

Oh and for you contrarians out there, please give me real world reasons for using a 32-bit OS. I am all ears. Especially if your a gamer.

ps, I am fully aware of needing to use 32-bit linux distros to run older hardware, this is not that.

They will probably add support for Windows 8 in the final build, for the 23 people that use that OS on their gaming PC's.

The 64-bit only requirement will probably stick, though. The VAS limitations of 32-bit applications is becoming a pretty big limitation for things like texture resolution and map sizes.

Aside from the silly comments about windows 8 support(this is an "alpha"... more like a beta regarding marketing, considering most "betas" aren't actually betas but closer to RC... yay marketing?) a 64 bit requirement would be great. There's too many games still being released that can't use more than 4GB of RAM, that's kind of annoying. Hell, I have 16GB of ram(not like it costs a fortune), load the whole freakin' game into RAM already(or at least use a large portion of it. The steam survey has more than 30% of people at 8GB or above). Also according to the steam survey, counting windows vista, 7, 8, and osx, you've got 70% of them using a 64bit OS these days.

It'll also be nice when we finally see more games taking advantage of multiple CPU cores as well.

Sure, it'll suck for those people using 32bit windows xp with 2GB of RAM and a videocard with 512MB of RAM, but so what? Those people are either irrelevant, or it's a second computer in the home for whatever reason that someone plays games on that have low requirements, and they already know better than to run BF3/4 on that.

It's a very early, limited alpha. It's not surprising that they are officially supporting a limited operating system range. If all they care about is testing server loads then the diversity of the hardware doesn't matter. What matters is getting people online with as little problems as possible so that they can test how servers handle the load. If they know the game in it's current form works best on Win 7 64-bit, it's perfectly logical to make that the supported platform.

This is absolutely not indicative that the final game (or even future alpha/beta tests) will not support Windows 8 and to try and suggest it is just silly.

It's a very early, limited alpha. It's not surprising that they are officially supporting a limited operating system range. If all they care about is testing server loads then the diversity of the hardware doesn't matter. What matters is getting people online with as little problems as possible so that they can test how servers handle the load. If they know the game in it's current form works best on Win 7 64-bit, it's perfectly logical to make that the supported platform.

This is absolutely not indicative that the final game (or even future alpha/beta tests) will not support Windows 8 and to try and suggest it is just silly.

I'd rather think they'd public test against the latest OS, than the last generation.

Back