EA Confirms Support for Current Gen Consoles Until 2017

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Electronic Arts to the rescue.:D EA has confirmed through CFO Blake Jorgensen that the company will continue to support current-gen consoles until at least 2017. This will give the slow adaptors a chance to make the transition to next-gen at a leisurely pace over the next four years.

“EA will continue to publish games for current-generation consoles through at least 2017,” a decision that is sure to appease owners of current-generation hardware.

Leave it to EA to fuck everything up by coddling the poors and the lazies.

this just means sports 2014,15,16,and 17, wont be anything top tear, just new rosters at $50+ a game

Leave it to EA to fuck everything up by coddling the poors and the lazies.

Haha, funny. I'm going to assume you were being a bit facetious but still leaving some truth to that statement. I laughed though.

I wonder what your reaction would have been if they said they will stop making 360 and PS3 games after 2013.

Catch 22?

I think that is to be expected when a new console comes out. At most till the end of 2014. 2017 is strange, unless EA is not planning to utilize the additional capabilities of the new console. Otherwise, it gets expensive to have to scale the game down and do all the testing to ensure it works on older consoles it doesn't seem to make sense.

EA deserves some good old fashioned bashing, but it is true that this one is a catch 22. EA really can't please everyone. Cutting games off at 2013 would draw just about the same criticism or more.

Its foolish to believe that the market for Xbox One will compete with the Xbox 360 market in the first year or two. Early adopters shouldn't be expecting this. This and the initial prices are why people point and laugh at some early adopters.

As for the date of 2017, it probably refers to patches and login and servers support for existing games. They are trying to salvage the coming Xbox 360 Christmas season. Someone just realized that no legacy support in xb1 just hurt 360 game market.

if it were me running ea, I would sever all support for the old consoles day one, pushing everything forward. who cares about backlash from a bunch of good for nothing lay abouts? they likely arent the ones supporting the market anyway.

fuck them. they can trade used 360/ps3 games with their lay about friends until the end of time for all I care. technology needs to move forward, and they're a speedbump.

There is no advantage of EA stopping support of older platforms unless the sales are less than the cost ... Publishers, like EA, already have to deal with conflicting system requirements if they want to release on both consoles and PCs ... if the sales out weight the costs they are leaving money on the table by ignoring the other platforms (not good for any company in this economy)

I think that is to be expected when a new console comes out. At most till the end of 2014. 2017 is strange, unless EA is not planning to utilize the additional capabilities of the new console. Otherwise, it gets expensive to have to scale the game down and do all the testing to ensure it works on older consoles it doesn't seem to make sense.

They are using different engines. So it is a different development branch. EA already announced their "next gen" engine for the new sports titles for the new gens. So it wouldn't really be a port. Like how the PC version of FIFA uses a totally diff engine than the Xbox360 version.

Not surprising considering there were some 2013 EA Sports games for the Playstation 2.
Exactly. They already used to supporting legacy systems while moving the newer stuff forward. Now I am mainly speaking about their sports games. All their other stuff, I can't speak on as I havent heard anything from them about those.

There is no advantage of EA stopping support of older platforms unless the sales are less than the cost ... Publishers, like EA, already have to deal with conflicting system requirements if they want to release on both consoles and PCs ... if the sales out weight the costs they are leaving money on the table by ignoring the other platforms (not good for any company in this economy)

That's what I was thinking. Xbox360 has an amazing install base so they gonna make that money till it's not cost effective to do so anymore. I'm going to say that the 2017 mark is where they factored out when it'll stop being cost effective.

I will most likely get a PS4, but the PS3 will be my main console or some time to come, and I will most likely get a spare PS3 or 2 to put away in the closet ,I have about 50 PS3 games to go thru still. there are quite a few next gen games that interest me, but I am far from done this gen. I have an xbox 360 as well, but my backlog isn't that big on it, the only thing I'd get an Xbone for is a new halo that was for it only, but I think halo 5 will be out on the 360 when it comes out , there is too large of an installed base of current gen consoles to ignore them. EA games don't make up much of my collection, so I don't care if EA drops support for current Gen.

if it were me running ea, I would sever all support for the old consoles day one, pushing everything forward. who cares about backlash from a bunch of good for nothing lay abouts? they likely arent the ones supporting the market anyway.

fuck them. they can trade used 360/ps3 games with their lay about friends until the end of time for all I care. technology needs to move forward, and they're a speedbump.

Don't do anything stupid to get banned, you're pretty funny

+1

Back