Windows 8 Wikipedia Page Vandalized

HardOCP News

[H] News
Alright, which one of you did this to the Windows 8 Wikipedia page. ;)

Why would anyone wish to besmirch the Windows 8 Wikipedia page? Hasn't Windows 8 got enough problems? Please don't say it's a fanperson from another brand. It seems that it might have been. Was it someone angry, someone merely tasteless, or someone who simply hasn't been educated in even the most basic elements of human decorum?

So we have finally gotten to the point in the Tech World where telling the truth is bad and lying is good, sounds just like law and politics, oh wait it is.

So we have finally gotten to the point in the Tech World where telling the truth is bad and lying is good, sounds just like law and politics, oh wait it is.

So in your humble opinion this is the truth:
Everyone hated Windows 8. The interface was useless, it looked like a drag queen on steroids. And the operating system is extremely unstable on mobile devices, which would guaranteeing angry shoppers who has used a mobile device that ran on a Windows OS before. Save yourselves and use either an iPad or an Android mobile device.

A lot of people do not like the Start Screen, but it does not scream "ugly". I legit criticism would of been something on the lag of intuitiveness or functionality, both with the smallest amounts of research are null and void.

It is amazing just how much passion Windows 8 can stir up. For a 27 year old OS brand that is past its prime in terms of being the center of the computing universe it is somewhat surprising that to see this many people care about an old desktop UI that certainly isn't the stuff of pop culture like it was at the launch of Windows 95.

Not sure how this is telling any truth:

However, the vandal was undeterred.

He or she (and the IP address strongly suggests it's someone from a college in the Miami-Dade area of Florida) wiped the whole Windows 8 page, offering instead: "window 8 is a Flop Programme....All editors ki maa ki chooooot......saaley Rundi baaz."

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-57582647-71/windows-8-wikipedia-page-vandalized/

LOL, pretty funny, but this sort of vandalism is hardly uncommon.

this guys summed up this whole article in the comments section.

"I wish I could get paid by writing an article about Wikipedia vandalism. That's like getting paid to write articles about stupid YouTube comments."

Gee, now I remember why I never go to Wikipedia. :D (And I don't either.)

Gee, now I remember why I never go to Wikipedia. :D (And I don't either.)

Wikipedia is fantastic and a great source of information and works well overall, like in this case where the problem was resolved. But like anything were it's important to get good facts, it should never be one's only source of information.

Start8 takes care of the problem with the Start menu. Other than that, I have had no problems with it. So many people wail and gnash their teeth when you bring up Windows 8, and yet, most of those people are only going on what they have heard and have ZERO experience with it.

OH NO! SOMETHING ON THE INTERNET WAS VANDALIZED! WOE! THIS DIGITAL WORLD DOESN'T ALLOW FOR RETURNING SOMETHING BACK TO THE WAY IT WAS BEFORE!

Oh, for fuck's sake, please stop calling it vandalization. It implies that it requires more than 3 seconds of effort to click "Revert" to fix the "damage."

Let's start a useless article by mentioning discarded condoms.

Wow....an article about Wikipedia vandalism. They lock celebrities pages when they die, and the vandalism prior to that was much worse than someone whining about Windows 8.

This just in: someone made mean comments on a YouTube page, full story at 11

thats money talking in this case i'll bet....otherwise it would stay for quite awhile :)

would be funny if the same were done for vista but windows 8 really deserves a good bashing for all the ui frustrations users have endured

How did this get to be news? A lot of Wikipedia articles get vandalized all the time and I don't see them becoming news.

But yes, MS really screwed up with a lot of points in Windows 8, not even going to bother listing it because its been talked to death.

It is amazing just how much passion Windows 8 can stir up. For a 27 year old OS brand that is past its prime in terms of being the center of the computing universe it is somewhat surprising that to see this many people care about an old desktop UI that certainly isn't the stuff of pop culture like it was at the launch of Windows 95.

I would argue that Windows 95 is probably the single greatest moment in personal computing history in the last 20 years, maybe even ever. Windows 95 did SOOO much for computers. Having a unified interface for all applications. DirectX. Plug and Play. USB (not at launch, but with in a year). These are things that we just completely take for granted now, but they are all the foundation of modern computers even today.

Nothing has come close to changeing the way computers are used like Windows 95 did. Everything else after that just improved what Win95 brought to the table.

Yeah, I agree, article is pretty lame.

A lot of people do not like the Start Screen, but it does not scream "ugly". I legit criticism would of been something on the lag of intuitiveness or functionality, both with the smallest amounts of research are null and void.

Start8 takes care of the problem with the Start menu. Other than that, I have had no problems with it. So many people wail and gnash their teeth when you bring up Windows 8, and yet, most of those people are only going on what they have heard and have ZERO experience with it.

I wonder why people who like Win8 have to attack people who don't? Most comments call Win8 haters to dumb to understand, Luddites, afraid of change and much more. Could it be that some people just don't like it? How hard is that for people to understand? It doesn't really have much to do with the tech, but with the design decisions that were made. :rolleyes:

I wonder why people who like Win8 have to attack people who don't? Most comments call Win8 haters to dumb to understand, Luddites, afraid of change and much more. Could it be that some people just don't like it? How hard is that for people to understand? It doesn't really have much to do with the tech, but with the design decisions that were made. :rolleyes:

The first thing I link when they go on about change is the website for opensuse ;)

even tho it is off topic windows 8 is not about change it is about how a company like MS which has enough money can do such a bad job at a graphical user interface enough to piss of many many people the cop out with 8.1 is also not a solution.

So the option is you buy windows 8 (we won't fix the user interface) and you get windows 7 desktop back , what did you exactly wanted us to pay for again?

They are so upset about it they start lying about everything from sales numbers to the devices on which is was ment to run it is such a farce.

This way they can kiss goodbye any hold they want to have on the tablet market. Not even if they gave windows 8 for free with a tablet the hardware behind it is still allowing android to do the same with les specs thus less money in the hardware and more profit.

-.- calling the non intuitive manner of the OS "null and void" makes it obvious that said poster doesn't understand the meaning of the word intuitive.

The reasons have been posted to death, marketspeakers come and cheer for the OS as the greatest thing ever and dismiss the fact that the "fixes" shouldn't be needed, and aren't always allowed by different reasons.

So, yeah, whatever, adoption rate will keep sucking, apologist will keep trying to tell us how behind the times we are, /shrugs, whatever, our wallets will keep showing a middle finger to what we perceive as a turd for our needs.

Having used both Win7 and 8 (and anything preceding it in great detail), I can honestly say that I will never be using Windows 8 for any of my own systems. There is simply nothing which Windows 8 brings to the table which would make me want to use it over Windows 7.

Metro? No thanks, that's the most broken UI for a desktop, even worse than Win3.x's. Using third-party add-ons to make it more like Win7? Just use Win7, dagnabbit... :)

Using Windows 8 is more one of those 'because I can' things than 'it makes sense' :p

I forgot to say "remember that due to the nature of Netstats, the adoption rate already includes that of Windows 8 tablet devices, so please don't delude yourselves, the real desktop adoption rate is in the gutters".

No CreepyUncleGoogle. You are the sock puppet.
And then CreepyUncleGoogle was Tyler Durden.

That explains the funny feeling I getg when I sit down. All this time, I was sure that I just left a suction cup device on my chair and subconsciously moved it to the washing machine in the laundry room.

I bet Microsoft will blame the vandalism on the Wikipedia page as the reason Windows 8 isn't doing well.

He should have noted the second paragraph where after the guy wrote that he wrote this is review site 'authorized' this post. If you look back at the past week it's been that guy or some other guy changing some or all of the page to promote their book or review site.

Yeah, I agree, article is pretty lame.

Please point out the attack in those quotes you posted because I am not seeing attacks. (Not as you portray them anyways.) It is quite easy to understand the point you are making but I do not agree with it though.

If they really wanted to vandalize the page they would have put the Metro interface on it :)

Well, sorry, but freely modifiable data pretty much means that the site is not applicable for any real research. (Pretty much anybody can put anything they want on Wiki which tells me the using them as a source for anything is a mistake at best.)

As far as a page being vandalized, I guess the person who did it must not have enough school work to do. Oh well, I guess that person must think of themselves as pretty special now.

Having used both Win7 and 8 (and anything preceding it in great detail), I can honestly say that I will never be using Windows 8 for any of my own systems. There is simply nothing which Windows 8 brings to the table which would make me want to use it over Windows 7.

Metro? No thanks, that's the most broken UI for a desktop, even worse than Win3.x's. Using third-party add-ons to make it more like Win7? Just use Win7, dagnabbit... :)

Using Windows 8 is more one of those 'because I can' things than 'it makes sense' :p

Alright, in what way is the Metro interface "broken"? do you mean broken overall, or in a "replacement for Start Menu" sense, or Metro based applications sense? Because while I use Windows 8 and like it well enough, I think the Metro based applications could use quite an interface improvement (switching between Metro to desktop applications with a click, putting the X in the corner to close it), I've never felt that any of it was a deal breaker. Everything I had issues with it are actually quite small and could easily be improved with a patch.

I think why I feel the need to force full explanations out of people for why they bitch and moan is that I've ran into the same thing about Vista, and after using Vista on my desktop for 5 years, I can tell you that most people were full of shit to begin with. So I question people and expect a full answer beyond "It sux!!!!". When people actually give me the details of in what way is sucks, it either proves to me that they've never used it, or they have and have something to say worth listening to.

I would argue that Windows 95 is probably the single greatest moment in personal computing history in the last 20 years, maybe even ever. Windows 95 did SOOO much for computers. Having a unified interface for all applications. DirectX. Plug and Play. USB (not at launch, but with in a year). These are things that we just completely take for granted now, but they are all the foundation of modern computers even today.

Nothing has come close to changeing the way computers are used like Windows 95 did. Everything else after that just improved what Win95 brought to the table.

Windows 95 was a great achievement but Windows 3.0 was a much more fundamental success and Windows 95 would not have what it was without Windows 3.0 first. Versions of Windows prior to 3.0 were simply flat out bad. They got a little better over time but they were just notoriously unstable. Back in my college days in the late 80's I remember the computer labs and we had a lot of them around campus will all sorts of hardware but there's one I used a lot that was setup with Macs and various PCs running various pre-Windows 3.0 versions and no one wanted to touch them unless they had to.

Then Windows 3.0 came out and while far from perfect it was just SOOOO much better than prior versions of Windows. People were actually moving from the Mac to the PC because they thought Windows 3.0 was better. Windows 3.0 simply changed the way people saw Windows and dramatically increased its popularity and got into the business world and without it Windows 95 wouldn't have been nearly as well received.

Back