K-12 Student Database Spooks Parents

HardOCP News

[H] News
It is funny that people don't want their browsing habits tracked but stuff like this is okay. :confused:

In operation just three months, the database already holds files on millions of children identified by name, address and sometimes social security number. Learning disabilities are documented, test scores recorded, attendance noted. In some cases, the database tracks student hobbies, career goals, attitudes toward school - even homework completion.

So when they did this stuff on paper and had to pay lots of people to keep track of it, then compile a report on it, it was ok? If anything I'd be upset that this database is gonna cost $100M

This forum runs on a database.:rolleyes:

Except this forum isn't collecting your name, address, phone number, social security number, hobbies, test scores, etc. etc.. And that's not counting the fact these are minor children we are talking about too.

I see your :rolleyes: and raise you a :rolleyes:.

So when they did this stuff on paper and had to pay lots of people to keep track of it, then compile a report on it, it was ok? If anything I'd be upset that this database is gonna cost $100M

When they did this stuff on paper, you would have had to have broke into a building and physically stole the paperwork. This you can just hack in if you have the prowess. and before all of the paperwork was decentralized, it wasn't in a single location. With a database it's all centralized, and in multiple locations with off site backups, etc.. You wouldn't even need to break into the main database, just walk off with a backup or two and you're set. Not to mention backups are usually less secure than running databases, and a stolen archive or backup is probably a lot less likely to be noticed, and the time scale for the crime to even be found out is much longer than if someone were to hack into the database.

So basically teachers and fuck your kid's entire life starting at early grade school. Well nothing keeps the parents in line against what he school does better than that.

Hell, I'm sure an IT guy or some other person with access can walk off with a backup, copy all the data, and return it without anyone ever being the wiser.

Databases are bad

^
83b.png

This appears to be the only person in this thread so far to get it.

I would be so pissed if I was in school still and found out about this. I'd refuse to do any additional work until my name was removed from this list. I don't even understand why they need it, it's just another example of a way to make money and a way for people to get screwed over when someone who shouldn't have this list gets their hands on it and then uses it to do all sorts of bad things.

Except this forum isn't collecting your name, address, phone number, social security number, hobbies, test scores, etc. etc.. And that's not counting the fact these are minor children we are talking about too.

I was attempting to make the point that all databases aren't bad, because the [H] forums are a database and [H] (obviously) isn't bad.

I don't see how that should even be legal for schools to be able to give out SSN of people. No wonder identity theft is so common. People just hand out your personal info like nothing.

I don't see how that should even be legal for schools to be able to give out SSN of people. No wonder identity theft is so common. People just hand out your personal info like nothing.

The real problem is the people on the other end of that which decided to use SSNs as unique identifiers. It was never intended to be that. Banks shouldn't use it, hospitals shouldn't use it, schools shouldn't use it. The only people that need it are the IRS and the SSA.

I would be so pissed if I was in school still and found out about this. I'd refuse to do any additional work until my name was removed from this list. I don't even understand why they need it, it's just another example of a way to make money and a way for people to get screwed over when someone who shouldn't have this list gets their hands on it and then uses it to do all sorts of bad things.

They want to now who to send their spam and junk mail to. The only purpose of this system is to generate ad revenue.

Actually, doesn't it?

I mean, not directly, but it collects the posts we put up that may have information on it, and it stores that. Not to mention, it's for public viewing.

Actually, doesn't it?

I mean, not directly, but it collects the posts we put up that may have information on it, and it stores that. Not to mention, it's for public viewing.

Lets be honest, your internet footprint is all over the internet, you could probably find everything about you (or at least something). Depending on what you posted on Facebook, where you live, what you did last weekend and the size of your underwear

The real problem is the people on the other end of that which decided to use SSNs as unique identifiers. It was never intended to be that. Banks shouldn't use it, hospitals shouldn't use it, schools shouldn't use it. The only people that need it are the IRS and the SSA.

I never understood the issue people have with using an SSN for identification. If it weren't SSNs, it'd be another number. What difference would that make?

Databases are bad
Why are people jumping on this? CLEARLY, he meant databases used to do what the article is talking about. I had assumed that there was ample sense floating around here that people could have figured that out inside of 2-3 seconds.

Big brother is watching. Wonder if the school district will consider selling the info to marketing firms to drum up money to pay off all those union members.

Lets be honest, your internet footprint is all over the internet, you could probably find everything about you (or at least something). Depending on what you posted on Facebook, where you live, what you did last weekend and the size of your underwear

LOL, yea I know. I was just pointing it out, like a devil's advocate.

As a father...this really pisses me off.

While inBloom pledges to guard the data tightly, its own privacy policy states that it "cannot guarantee the security of the information stored ... or that the information will not be intercepted when it is being transmitted."

Are you kidding me? The privacy laws state they have to protect the data yet their own contract says they don't have to?

As a father...this really pisses me off.

Are you kidding me? The privacy laws state they have to protect the data yet their own contract says they don't have to?

Wow... here there isn't such a big sense of privacy... but personal information is strictly confidential and the fines are so big that companies would have to close if they leaked anything ever... not to mention the gvt. never shares anything with anyone (which is actually a pita when you have to request something and have to fill the same damn forms once and again and again).

Funny thing is that the article in question mentions that this will help... the industry make better equipment :doh:

For all of you who think this is a bad idea, i have news for you. We have been doing this for more than a decade. I work for a website that tracks all that information for teachers and administrators. We have been doing this since 2002. Except, contrary to all you paranoid people out there we don't track them by SSN the State assigns a special student code to each student and we track them by that ID. This information is not intended to keep track of our kids but more meant for teacher to adjust their teaching styles so that all of the kids have a chance to succeed. Everyone cries out about privacy but your info have been out there ever since you got that first credit card or bought your car or opened a bank account. Be real, nothing is private anymore unless you live in the hills off the grid completely. Since our students have pretty much have declined in academics over time they are trying to get a hold of our lack of intelligence, but then again people still continue to watch honey boo boo......

For all of you who think this is a bad idea, i have news for you. We have been doing this for more than a decade. I work for a website that tracks all that information for teachers and administrators. We have been doing this since 2002. Except, contrary to all you paranoid people out there we don't track them by SSN the State assigns a special student code to each student and we track them by that ID. This information is not intended to keep track of our kids but more meant for teacher to adjust their teaching styles so that all of the kids have a chance to succeed. Everyone cries out about privacy but your info have been out there ever since you got that first credit card or bought your car or opened a bank account. Be real, nothing is private anymore unless you live in the hills off the grid completely. Since our students have pretty much have declined in academics over time they are trying to get a hold of our lack of intelligence, but then again people still continue to watch honey boo boo......

The reason the students have declined is:
1. Parents don't care or even try to help their kids learn. A lot of these same people are the ones who are lifelong members of the welfare system. The same ones who vote according to who promises to steal more money to give to them.
2. Government schools are designed to keep the general populace dumbed down so they are easier to control. And before somebody says this isn't true, why else would "students" be passed on to higher grades when they cannot even read? I am talking about 6th and 7th graders. And for that matter, you even get some high schoolers that somehow never learned how to read.
3.And the teachers unions don't help either. Try to get rid of a teacher who continually doesn't/can't/will not do the job they are supposed to be doing. Good luck with that. And on top of that, those same teachers continually want more money for the disservice they are providing.
4. Taxpayers are now subsidizing with our tax money, the "education"/indoctrination of illegal aliens. Yeah, that is going to help our children to learn.

It does have a "scat/bestiality" section that potential employers may take issue with. :D

1. Parents don't care or even try to help their kids learn. A lot of these same people are the ones who are lifelong members of the welfare system. The same ones who vote according to who promises to steal more money to give to them.
2. Government schools are designed to keep the general populace dumbed down so they are easier to control. And before somebody says this isn't true, why else would "students" be passed on to higher grades when they cannot even read? I am talking about 6th and 7th graders. And for that matter, you even get some high schoolers that somehow never learned how to read.
3.And the teachers unions don't help either. Try to get rid of a teacher who continually doesn't/can't/will not do the job they are supposed to be doing. Good luck with that. And on top of that, those same teachers continually want more money for the disservice they are providing.
4. Taxpayers are now subsidizing with our tax money, the "education"/indoctrination of illegal aliens. Yeah, that is going to help our children to learn.
Please move to Somalia.

Since when have we not subsidized schooling with our tax money? The School property is and for a very long time has been paid for by our property taxes.

The money that goes to illegal immigrants is so incredibly inconsequential and not at all why school systems are failing. Do you really think North Dakota, Mississippi and Alaska are suffering from illegal immigration?

How is anyone on this forum surprised by this? SERIOUSLY I DON'T UNDERSTAND?

With NCLB the federal government required all public schools to be accountable for their students performance and held them accountable for a host of demographics. How do you think any of this has been done for over a decade?

In general you can look up what data is tracked in your state by visiting your state's department of ed. In most states, schools are required to submit their student data at specific times, some even require it weekly. I believe some of the smaller states even have a state wide student information system (SIS) that all public districts use (Rhode Island is jumping to mind). This article doesn't give very much detail as to how this "database" is any different from the hundreds of SIS products already out on the market.

They are not even close to being correct about FERPA though. Yes, it's defined as an educational interest and that can be defined in a contract with vendors that provide services but schools cannot sell student information, PERIOD. The idea that is legal through this loop hole is ridiculous. If you find out your school is selling your student's information contact a lawyer immediately. That will get some people in federal court real quickly.

Wait, don't schools already have databases on aging computers about their students for their student and alumni records already?

What makes this worse or different than what's currently in place?

Mostly I just go "meh" at this, but one part concerns me, and that's the "interest" section... how many kids have passing interest (especially in their teenage years) in anarchy, satanism, or similar "bad" things, which is just a act of rebellion and a cry for attention that they outgrow... This could be maintained in the digital data for employers to later look at and say "I don't want him, he's an anarchist!" (especially if applying for a government job) when it was just a stupid thing a teenager did for attention. There's a reason most things like police records are sealed when a person turns 18, however databases like this can cause even further discrimination and unemployment in an already sliding economy... Most of us on this forum are old enough that all our records are probably faded out or lost by now, but if we have kids, imagine how this could affect them in the future...

Back