DRM “Vandalizes” Game Creators’ Own Projects

HardOCP News

[H] News
The best way to stop those damn, dirty pirates? Sabotage your own software so that legit owners can't use it either. Wait. What?

The latest attempt by YoYo Games to stop unauthorized users of their popular GameMaker software has sadly backfired. A new DRM system,which replaces game graphics with skulls and crossbones, became a little overzealous to say the least. Not only did it mess around with user-created graphics in pirated versions of the software, but also replaced those in fully paid-up and free versions too, leading to game developers losing their work and valuable time.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA SNORT!!!

Somebody clue these dummies in. Use a key wheel.

or in colloqiual terms, the "Ubisoft method", or to Ubisoft "The Method". :D

I was under the impression that Ubisoft has made changes to fix a lot of problems in the past year.

I wouldn't know myself. I haven't purchased an Ubisoft PC game in quite a while.

So etnire projects have to be started from the ground up with only a simple OOPS from people that caused it? I would reconsider my choice of doing business with them.

So etnire projects have to be started from the ground up with only a simple OOPS from people that caused it? I would reconsider my choice of doing business with them.

Revision control systems. Backups. Ever heard of them ? This time it was a malfunction in software. Next time it will be their dead hard drive. Will they be angry at hard drive manufacturer ?

I was under the impression that Ubisoft has made changes to fix a lot of problems in the past year.

I wouldn't know myself. I haven't purchased an Ubisoft PC game in quite a while.

They scrapped their always-on DRM, but UPlay is bigger and badder than ever. I'm unable to play my copy of AC3 because UPlay won't authenticate it and Steam is refusing to give me a refund :(

Revision control systems. Backups. Ever heard of them ? This time it was a malfunction in software. Next time it will be their dead hard drive. Will they be angry at hard drive manufacturer ?

So you say its the fault of the clients and not the DRM? They dont mention if what they did to their clients programs can be reverted or not, only that they turned off the portion of the DRM that ruined current work.

Bwhahaha. Self-correcting problem. First, who the hell is their market? If you want to learn to make games ms has vastly better tools for FREE (you can get cheap opensource software to develop for cocoabeans as well). Second, backups and revision control (already mentioned above). Third, bwahhahahha.

So you say its the fault of the clients and not the DRM? They dont mention if what they did to their clients programs can be reverted or not, only that they turned off the portion of the DRM that ruined current work.

If they had more than a day of ruined work, then yes, it is the clients fault.

He's probaby part of the cult that you should back up every little thing you got.

He's probaby part of the cult that you should back up every little thing you got.

Everything ? No. Documents and projects you are working on ? Hell yeah.

But it seems some people like living on the edge and lose multiple months of work because a hardware/software failure can happen at any time.

This is a trojan horse and a piece of malware. Plain and simple.

This piece of malware doesn't simply overlay images; it replaces them. It destroys the work that people have worked on. It is no different than any other piece of malware that destroys your files. I would also point out that, whether or not someone obtained the program legally, it is still illegal to destroy someone's files.

While I have little faith in the state to prosecute the "imaginary property" regime, they should be held accountable for their actions. Under the UK's "Computer Misuse Act", what they have done is a felony and is punishible by five years in prison, per offense.

I was really disappointed to read about this, I use Game Maker for hobby projects. I don't mind some light form of DRM to reduce piracy of there software, but this sort of DRM is over the top. They sort of crossed a line.

I was really disappointed to read about this, I use Game Maker for hobby projects. I don't mind some light form of DRM to reduce piracy of there software, but this sort of DRM is over the top. They sort of crossed a line.

Agree. Every DRM have a possibility of something going wrong, so any DRM used must not be destructive to the user's work when something goes wrong with it. An online DRM for example simply mean no access temporarily, but it doesn't destroy your work. :eek:

They scrapped their always-on DRM, but UPlay is bigger and badder than ever. I'm unable to play my copy of AC3 because UPlay won't authenticate it and Steam is refusing to give me a refund :(

Download a crack and tell them to go fuck themselves? Why should you bend over backwards to make use of what you bought and own?

DRM is one of the stupidest concepts ever, always brings me joy to hear when it backfires.

Ditto

DRM is one of the stupidest concepts ever, always brings me joy to hear when it backfires.

Definitely agree here. It's a exactly that, a stupid concept, that should burn as it backfires. Would love it slightly more if the backfire causes a lawsuit against the DRM creator, if there was one involved.

Back