Nintendo’s VP Talks Upcoming Wii U Launch

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
It’s nearing the long awaited scheduled launch of Nintendo’s Wii U next week and Executive VP of Sales and Marketing Scott Moffitt sat down recently for an informative interview with GamesBeat on what to expect in the Wii U release.

Our dual distribution strategy is still rolling out. What I mean by that is, allowing consumers to either buy their games digitally — using codes they picked up at retail or straight through our eShop site — or buy them physically in stores like they always have.

long awaited? I dunno, it looks like the slapped some buttons and a knob controller on an iPad and decided that was the next incarnation of game controllers.

If there would have been a new Metroid or Zelda game, I would have bought the new Wii U. I'm not even sure there is going to be line like the Wii.

Regardless, I'm excited for it. It's good they're embracing the digital distribution component, but I'd like a little more information on our options for storage. While it's good to store games on a HDD of my choosing, I'd prefer the option of an internal drive rather than running from a USB2.0 external.

Is there an award for having the first reply being a troll post? I for one will be enjoying my deluxe Wii U and zombie u, new Mario and several other great looking titles. I guess haters gotta hate.

Just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't mean he's a troll.

The Wii was priced to sell came with 1 controller, you wanted to play all those games like they show in the commercial and really what the Wii was aimed at you spent another $50 per controller and started to raise the cost of it. Now I understand the Wii-U will only come with a single controller/pad, and if you want another pad it'll cost about half the cost of the system, while ya you can get a "regular" (Xbox looking) controller for $50, if there are multiplayer games which really feature that pad it's an expensive option.

That's really my beef with the Wii-U, is the choice they went with controller.

The Wii was priced to sell came with 1 controller, you wanted to play all those games like they show in the commercial and really what the Wii was aimed at you spent another $50 per controller and started to raise the cost of it. Now I understand the Wii-U will only come with a single controller/pad, and if you want another pad it'll cost about half the cost of the system, while ya you can get a "regular" (Xbox looking) controller for $50, if there are multiplayer games which really feature that pad it's an expensive option.

Every system that isn't a special edition only comes with one controller! So if you want to play with more than one person you spend another 40-50 bucks it's no different. And we don't have any clue how much a second gamepad will cost when they offer them seperate. It wasn't that I disagreed with you it's that your description of the device is so off base. I used the gamepad it's very comfortable and doesn't feel like I'm using a tablet with "knobs" I game on tablets see Sig it isn't the same.

I do like the dual distribution option got a 2 tb external HD ready to go with mine and from what I understand us deluxe owners get the digital promo which is a incentive to buy digitally. Can't wait till next weekend!

If there would have been a new Metroid or Zelda game, I would have bought the new Wii U. I'm not even sure there is going to be line like the Wii.
Well, if you got the Metroid or Zelda game you demanded at launch, what would you demand six months after launch?

Wii U line up doesnt look good

Some nice games but they are ports none the less

Other cheap games I really doubt would be good.

One mario game, where is metroid? zelda? smash? mario kart? or other big franchise games for launch?

One mario game, where is metroid? zelda? smash? mario kart? or other big franchise games for launch?

this.

if i buy it, it will be for HD Nintendo franchise games.

Nonsense.
Compare this launch to the PS3 and 360 launches.
I have 4 games I want off the bat, ZombiU, NSMBWU, Scribblenauts Unlimited, Nano Assault Neo(eShop)

What ports? These are ALL exclusive.

Doesnt look good is just your opinion, and I highly disagree.
So many haters here, its ridiculous...

lol... Wii u.. >.> That's all needs to be said really. The Wii failed to maintain its competition and mostly found itself with shovel wear with little to no games for their hard core player base.

Now with this to buy a second controller its practically $100 bucks.. for a CONTROLLER with a Screen... >.> I'll pass. Considering there game line up as well, pretty dismal and looks like a poor attempt to try and capitalize on the failure of the Wii with this poor excuse for console. If I wanted to play on a Ipad.. Id play on an iPad... Not some wanna be.

I got my Wii U pro preordered, and I fully expect to pick up ZombiU, or recieve it for Christmas. People are making a big deal about that Project 100 game, whatever they renamed it to. I wouldn't want to pick up New SMBU myself, since I can't stand 2D platformers anymore, personally.

However, I'd like to ask, when's the last time you've seen a console launch with all of the biggest franchises at day one? Halo was a launch title for the original Xbox, but it didn't launch with the 360. Yes, the Wii did launch with Legend of Zelda, but that's because it was already being made on the Gamecube and was ported over.

Point is, Pikmin 3 is coming out for it shortly down the road, and every indication is that both Nintendo and Retro are developing some of their biggest budget games they've ever made (some supposed insiders claiming more money is being put into it than is being invested into GTA 5). The preorders ran out on the same day they were offered, and there is a waiting list for the consoles now.

Still, my biggest reasons for picking it up is because this is the first new home console in 6 years, I want to play some Wii games I missed since I traded mine in back in 2009 (not many, and that's why I got rid of it), and because when the games start coming out I'll want to pick it up anyways. I was disappointed with the Wii, but since the Wii U is actually getting much of the multi console releases now, that won't be such a problem with the new console, I hope. That and a touch screen in addition to fully functional standard consoles seems like a much better idea than motion garbage.

Every system that isn't a special edition only comes with one controller! So if you want to play with more than one person you spend another 40-50 bucks it's no different
If the game is a "simple" one that can be played with another "regular" controller I agree, however the true test is whether or not this control touch pad will be something integrated into many games, or another R.O.B.

And we don't have any clue how much a second gamepad will cost when they offer them seperate.
You can just google for an answer, and while they won't initially sell separate in the US, they're listed at $172 in Japan, the prices more likely than not are not going to be too far off.

It wasn't that I disagreed with you it's that your description of the device is so off base. I used the gamepad it's very comfortable and doesn't feel like I'm using a tablet with "knobs" I game on tablets see Sig it isn't the same.
You pretty much knee jerked troll and didn't follow up on why, so you pretty much dismissed everything I said.

As I said, will this be something that is integrated into lots of games? Or simply a silly gimmick that ended up making the game system cost way more than it should have. I'm not a fan of the "pad" controller, and to me it feels like a tablet with buttons on it.

Nonsense.
Compare this launch to the PS3 and 360 launches.
I have 4 games I want off the bat, ZombiU, NSMBWU, Scribblenauts Unlimited, Nano Assault Neo(eShop)

What ports? These are ALL exclusive.

Doesnt look good is just your opinion, and I highly disagree.
So many haters here, its ridiculous...

Skribbelnauts? :D

Failure launch , I predict. No good launch titles and an overly expensive tablet system.

The Wii-U looks like another burp in Nintendo's history.

Nintendo can just print money if they want to.

Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart....Repeat.

I personally will buy any nintendo console that gets a Fire Emblem game, its the reason I have a gamecube and a Wii.

If Fire Emblem gets released on Wii-u I'm all over it.

If the game is a "simple" one that can be played with another "regular" controller I agree, however the true test is whether or not this control touch pad will be something integrated into many games, or another R.O.B.

You can just google for an answer, and while they won't initially sell separate in the US, they're listed at $172 in Japan, the prices more likely than not are not going to be too far off.

You pretty much knee jerked troll and didn't follow up on why, so you pretty much dismissed everything I said.

As I said, will this be something that is integrated into lots of games? Or simply a silly gimmick that ended up making the game system cost way more than it should have. I'm not a fan of the "pad" controller, and to me it feels like a tablet with buttons on it.
Your first post screamed troll. Your responces since have been much more descriptive. Why not have listed that in the first place. I really don't think he gamepad will cost that much. I've seen that info, and think that WHEN they offer it and it's needed to have a second one we are looking at a 99 dollar ad on. We'll see I guess. I really like the fact that I can play on the gamepad if the wife wants to watch TV, that to me is huge. I wish I could do that with my other systems.

Failure launch , I predict. No good launch titles and an overly expensive tablet system.

The Wii-U looks like another burp in Nintendo's history.

People said the exact same thing when the Wii came out. Except people are forgetting that the Xbox 360 and the PS3 were a lot more expensive when they launched.

What about playing multiplayer on PC?

And have you checked the prices for controllers, period? PS3 and Xbox 360 have expensive controllers too.

I have a regular pre-ordered but I don't think I will have the money. I really want a premium too so I am going to ebay it. Will get it in March or something. :(

Back