Unlocking Your Smartphone Will Soon be Illegal

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
For the next three years at least, the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) will have new exemptions concerning what you can and cannot do with your hand held devices. The new rules go into effect on October 28th.

Clearly, some of these new rules (no jailbreaking tablets, no ripping DVDs so you can watch them on tablets, no unlocking phones without permission) are ridiculous from a user standpoint.

Freaking ridiculous. I own it I should be able to do what I want with it.

How they gonna keep track of that stuff? It's kinda stupid idea because you can actually hack the vehicle electronics and reprogram it to however you like(unblock speed limiter) without being punished.

Good luck with spending an already stretched budged enforcing this...unless they are trying to make revenue on fines.

Fuck this shit. I'll do whatever the hell I want to with anything that I own. Who are these people anyways? Did I vote for them? Did I decide that they have control? No. I don't know any of the asshats on this committee, why do they get to pick and chose what we can and cannot do?

which retard makes these rules anyway?

The RIAA/MPAA and other trade groups. Well, the ex-guys. They stayed in the business of screwing the consumer but went into the political arena to do it.

Good luck with spending an already stretched budged enforcing this...unless they are trying to make revenue on fines.

I don't see how these laws can be enforced unless stop-and-frisk is mandatory in every state and it includes a smartphone check.

The unlocked they're talking about is sim-lock, not bootloader. I thought it was bootloader at first and was like WTF! but it's really just carrier-based devices which are generally subsidized. Just pay the full cost for a factory-unlocked device and you won't have to worry about doing anything illegal. Stupid either way.

I plan to ignore this as I don't recognize their authority. Let them try to enforce it against me at their own peril.

I thought the right to root/jailbreak your phone was ruled legal by the supreme court a year or so ago?

What they don't realize is that they are systematically destroying the faith of the people in our government. On every single front, not matter what the issue, we see decisions like this.

Sit back and watch, this will be the most documented fall of an Empire in Human History. They will be citing issues like this a thousand years from now as the rest of humanity gleans what it can from our demise.

I thought the right to root/jailbreak your phone was ruled legal by the supreme court a year or so ago?

It doesn't matter...no one will follow these rules nor will anyone enforce them.

To quote the late damicatz:

I plan to ignore this as I don't recognize their authority. Let them try to enforce it against me at their own peril.

What they don't realize is that they are systematically destroying the faith of the people in our government. On every single front, not matter what the issue, we see decisions like this.

Sit back and watch, this will be the most documented fall of an Empire in Human History. They will be citing issues like this a thousand years from now as the rest of humanity gleans what it can from our demise.

This! I honestly don't know a single person that thinks the government is doing a smashing fine job. Everyone I know (to varying degrees of course) thinks the government as a whole or certain parts of it are corrupt and/or corruptible.

The sad part is that the government knows this but decides to continue on its path of self-destruction.

It really is only a matter of time and this point.

oh no!!! Some judge said something was illegal!!!?!? What every am I going to do...

ahem... nothing different than I am. I belong to the Fellowship of the Royal Order of Common Sense, I own it, I get to do whatever the fuck I want with it. So if I want to mod my console, I'll fucking do it, and I won't consider it illegal. Now downloading games I don't own to play on said modded console sure that's illegal, I have no problem with that. But the hardware I own, I'm not leasing it, I don't have a license to use it, I own it.

Oh noes, more "Brave New World" restrictions are being set upon us.
Whatever shall we do? :rolleyes:

seeing how all i have are android devices, gs3 and a nexus 7, "jailbreaking" as defined by the supreme court does not apply to me or anyone else with a non-apple device.

try to insist that my wifi only tablet is under the domain of anyone else. there is no service contract to govern its access, there was no discount for a service plan. i paid cash up front and i own it.

now try to enforce this "law". since i modified my personally owned device, come arrest me, or try to fine me. i have a gun sitting here, which is protected under my second amendment right, that will be used on you to defend my constitutional right to protect myself and my family against invaders, both foreign and domestic.

i do not acknowledge the authority of that committee to set laws against my person or my privately owned devices, and my rights will be defended at all costs against any kind of outside persecution.

Yea, wonder when the whole world is gonna invade the US fucking A to free their citizens, "US is a Free Country" my Ass. :D
What's better? We'll at least have the freedom to fight it in court.

At least we're not Australia. Did you know they get fined ~$250 if they don't vote? It's like a tax on working people. For a former prison colony, they have gone to the extreme opposite.

What's better? We'll at least have the freedom to fight it in court.

At least we're not Australia. Did you know they get fined ~$250 if they don't vote? It's like a tax on working people. For a former prison colony, they have gone to the extreme opposite.

True...but the problem with judging your own liberty relative to someone else's is that absolute standards have an impact on happiness too. I mean, consider if every country on Earth were to continue to get worse, and we were eventually at the point of Soviet gulags here. You could still say, "Hey, at least we aren't liquefied in chemical vats for scientific experimentation like those poor fellows in France," but it's not exactly setting the bar high. ;)

[sarcasm]
I'm so glad big business and the government are looking out for my best interest. I'm glad they have the money to waste on crap like this. This is probably the most critical legislation facing our country.

[/sarcasm]

[sarcasm]
I'm so glad big business and the government are looking out for my best interest. I'm glad they have the money to waste on crap like this. This is probably the most critical legislation facing our country.

[/sarcasm]

Learn your place, helot. Their priorities are above your feeble comprehension. ;)

One absolutely hilarious thing about this thread is the number of people, who clearly watch WAY too much television, who think this law will involve secret police coming to your house to toss you into a gulag.

Seriously, are you freaking kidding me? Do you think we live in some third world shithole military dictatorship? What century do you live in? This is the freaking United States. We're more sophisticated than that.

"Enforcement", if they're stupid enough to even bother, will involve lawyers and the fast and frighteningly efficient siphoning of your bank accounts via the most nefarious and cunning legal maneuvering you can possibly imagine (and YOU can't afford in your wildest dreams). Your 2nd amendment rights mean jack and shit when they're avenue of attack doesn't involve anything you can actually shoot at. I mean, sure, you can try shooting the lawyers, but then you'd be rightfully arrested and tried for murder. So much for making a point in that case.

One absolutely hilarious thing about this thread is the number of people, who clearly watch WAY too much television, who think this law will involve secret police coming to your house to toss you into a gulag.

Seriously, are you freaking kidding me? Do you think we live in some third world shithole military dictatorship? What century do you live in? This is the freaking United States. We're more sophisticated than that.

"Enforcement", if they're stupid enough to even bother, will involve lawyers and the fast and frighteningly efficient siphoning of your bank accounts via the most nefarious and cunning legal maneuvering you can possibly imagine (and YOU can't afford in your wildest dreams). Your 2nd amendment rights mean jack and shit when they're avenue of attack doesn't involve anything you can actually shoot at. I mean, sure, you can try shooting the lawyers, but then you'd be rightfully arrested and tried for murder. So much for making a point in that case.

It won't be about things like this. It will be about the fact we are calling them on their lies and abuse of power, and they will call us terrorists and begin monitoring us. Like they have been caught doing to anti-war movements and some groups who call for a return to Constitutional Law.

I personally think the RIAA/MPAA should be shipped off to Guantanamo Bay and put on trial for treason for trying to pass laws that invade our privacy and tell us what we can and can't do with our own property, etc.

How they gonna keep track of that stuff? It's kinda stupid idea because you can actually hack the vehicle electronics and reprogram it to however you like(unblock speed limiter) without being punished.

Actually in most states it's illegal to modify vehicle electronics if it changes the emissions.

Dear government of the people by the people and for the people,

Nuts!

Love,

Your bosses.

This! I honestly don't know a single person that thinks the government is doing a smashing fine job. Everyone I know (to varying degrees of course) thinks the government as a whole or certain parts of it are corrupt and/or corruptible.

The problem is that too many people don't connect the size of governemt with the level of corruption.

The bigger it grows the more corrupt it will get. The only way to limit the corruption is to limit what government does. I won't be holding my breath waiting for this to ever happen.

Back