Steam for Linux Limited Beta Launching in October

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
While still not fully cooked, Valve will be serving up a private external beta of Steam for Linux for 1000 testers in early October. The test will use Ubuntu 12.04 and above and testers will be chosen by their hardware configurations to insure diverse testing.

Valve will provide a sign up page for the external beta in the coming weeks and select participants based on the hardware they’re running -- the idea is to test Steam for Linux on as many different hardware configurations as possible.

Nice, can't wait for this. As long as they have many of their games ported over it should be great.

So they have between now and october to get 997 more people to install Linux... Maybe they could offer some prizes or something?

So they have between now and october to get 997 more people to install Linux... Maybe they could offer some prizes or something?

I actually chuckled at this but you do realize that I will be high on that list? and a LOT of others as well. games has really been the deciding factor in my choice in platform. If I was MS I would not like this (I realize that its not nearly the effect nowdays that it whould have been in the win95 ear) at all

I'd be interested to see how this pans out. I'm on Ubuntu 12.04 using Wine and PlayOnLinux front end to run Steam and Diablo III.

You really think they'll have a hard time filling in those people? There must be so many people just wishing to leave Windows that this would be a dream come true for them. So long as they have games that people wanna play, many more people will wanna beta test for this then they can offer.

694.png

Yes because windows is just so freaking horrible. Getting studios to support windows is hard enough. Why not learn to drive a car with your feet as well.

I'm going to definitely sign up for this. Hopefully, Linux Mint would not be a deterrent in signing up. If so, I'll probably switch over my Linux partition to Ubuntu before this happens. :D

I think people underestimate the impact that a solid steam library on linux would present. If microsoft continues to push a closed environment and tries to turn win8 into xbox live I can just see more and more developers starting to support linux. I think most computer users can be lumped into 3 categories:

1)extremely competent users: probably already off windows for the most part and don't have any issues getting things they want done on other OS's
2)prosumer users: i think most pc gamers fit in this crowd. This group entails people who have specific software they want to use (such as games) and are thus stuck on windows.
3)everyday idiot: these are people who only use a computer for documents and web browsing. This is already done just as well on linux and a linux based system would cost them less money. the only reason these people aren't on linux is because they just follow whatever's popular.

I think once a good game library on linux would move a lot of people in group 2 over which I think in time would lead to lots of people on group 3 moving over.

Do Linux users really want all the other users to switch? Right now Linux seems to be fairly focused on the tech crowd, since they are the primary users. If you opened it up to the great unwashed masses they would gradually push for the dumbed down features that make it useful to the casual user. Didn't some of the really cheap computers try and use Linux a few years ago ... and wasn't it an unmitigated disaster?

I think that allowing Linux users access to games is a good thing, but for business and the average consumer, Windows is still going to be the best game in town for them and that isn't a bad thing. MS is not more "evil" than any other company and the warranty and other automated support they offer provides the best value for the non-technical consumer (the majority) and business ;)

Do Linux users really want all the other users to switch? Right now Linux seems to be fairly focused on the tech crowd, since they are the primary users. If you opened it up to the great unwashed masses they would gradually push for the dumbed down features that make it useful to the casual user. Didn't some of the really cheap computers try and use Linux a few years ago ... and wasn't it an unmitigated disaster?

I think that allowing Linux users access to games is a good thing, but for business and the average consumer, Windows is still going to be the best game in town for them and that isn't a bad thing. MS is not more "evil" than any other company and the warranty and other automated support they offer provides the best value for the non-technical consumer (the majority) and business ;)

GNU/Linux is free software and thus, we all have access to the source code. Unlike Windows, if someone makes a stupid change (e.g. Metro), I can easily undo that change by modifying the source code. In addition, there are multiple distros each with their own goals so there will always be distros targeted at new users and distros targeted at expert users (like Arch, which is what I use).

I know absolute idiots that run Ubuntu on their web browsing appliance of a computer, some distros are pretty close to "it just works" and that's not a bad thing.

GNU/Linux is free software and thus, we all have access to the source code. Unlike Windows, if someone makes a stupid change (e.g. Metro), I can easily undo that change by modifying the source code. In addition, there are multiple distros each with their own goals so there will always be distros targeted at new users and distros targeted at expert users (like Arch, which is what I use).

Yup.

For example:

If I didn't like the look of GNOME, I can switch over to another desktop environment like Cinnamon or KDE Plasma.

I can't do that in Windows.

If Microsoft allowed me to change or remove Metro/ModernUI, I'd probably switch it over to a different desktop environment. But, I can't. The most I can do are ".theme" files and some editing of certain DLL files to force Windows to change the look of windows.

I remember in the older days with Windows 98, I would modify files related to the Windows shell to change the look. Highly risky to do it, but it was a fun way to change the look of Windows 98 in those days. The only thing I can find nowadays that's close to that is Cairo: http://cairoshell.github.com/

It's still in Alpha and is for Windows 7.

It's not easy to change the look for Windows outside of colors and transparency. Linux I can do pretty much what I want with it without resorting to hacking DLL and EXE files. It's why I've grown to like Linux more and more for the past 5 to 7 years-- freedom really and choices. Only thing keeping me away from a full Linux switchover are the programs and games that I use and play with each day.

Gaming really is one of the few things that keeps many people on Windows. Furthermore, Microsoft is pushing this "certify" shit on developers, where you have to "certify" your games for Win8/Metro.

1z15jr6.jpg

From the developer of Minecraft

It's certainly a nice way of bypassing Steam and getting developers to cough up more money. Unfortunately, this, much like a lot of Win8/Metro, will not go well for Microsoft...

Personally, I can't wait for Steam to come to Linux. I think it's a great thing for gamers as well.

I prefer Windows. But, if Linux offered gaming with better performance (I won't ditch Windows is it's equal or worse performance - just because it has gaming now), I'd dual boot or put it on my gaming machine.

I wasn't criticizing Linux ... but business has had the ability to go with Linux for years (since games don't affect them) ... closed systems actually work best for most businesses ... same thing with most consumers ... leave the great unwashed where they are ... enjoy being elite users of a highly technical system ... don't bring in the average user ... they will only cause problems and are best left in the closed environment ... let MS deal with their problems ;)

We want users to consider the option to switch. Right now it's not so much an option as much as a form of torture, but that can change when there's interest. Like Android for example.

Also consider that Windows is still a monopoly in the OS market. Mac OS X isn't technically available, unless you buy an Apple PC. So something other then Windows is good even for Windows users.
For business Linux is the best game in town. It's stable, cheap, and virus free. Only in situations where you need applications like Photoshop or MS Office is where the problem lies.

For the non-technical consumer it would be best to stick with Windows, but again we'd like to build a bridge for them to be able to cross. We don't want Linux to be limited to servers and the few people who want to tinker with it, but something that's really an alternative.

Even right now I use Windows 7, but because I have to for gaming. I can live without MS Office and Photoshop.

Office can technically be available for Linux as well. MS is moving, and has to a certain extent, to a cloud-based system. GIMP is also a very good photoshop replacement.

I never understood the "Office and Photoshop" argument, though. How many people actually use photoshop? How many people pay for photoshop? It's not cheap. Furthermore, how many people use the higher end hidden features that photoshop has that GIMP doesn't? An even smaller number. This photoshop argument is a go-to "Linux sucks because ____" but it never comes from someone who uses both GIMP and Photoshop or even Linux :p

Gaming really is one of the few things that keeps many people on Windows. Furthermore, Microsoft is pushing this "certify" shit on developers, where you have to "certify" your games for Win8/Metro.

1z15jr6.jpg

From the developer of Minecraft

It's certainly a nice way of bypassing Steam and getting developers to cough up more money. Unfortunately, this, much like a lot of Win8/Metro, will not go well for Microsoft...

Personally, I can't wait for Steam to come to Linux. I think it's a great thing for gamers as well.

Notch can STFU. He's pissed about Windows 8 being a "closed system"? Right. How about he stop selling Minecraft on XBLive and iOS?? Hypocritical douche.

Notch can STFU. He's pissed about Windows 8 being a "closed system"? Right. How about he stop selling Minecraft on XBLive and iOS?? Hypocritical douche.

Note how he said "PC."

It's a bit different when you make and build your own console, isn't it? Or even your own phone and computer, as is the case with Apple.

The PC is and has been an open system. Grab your applications from the web wherever you please, swap your hardware as you see fit. Microsoft is changing both of those

I've been waiting for this for years. I'm gonna jump the gun and email valve to try and get a top spot. 1000 spots is extremely limited. And to all you nay sayers, enjoy your new fischer price OS.

I've been waiting for this for years. I'm gonna jump the gun and email valve to try and get a top spot. 1000 spots is extremely limited. And to all you nay sayers, enjoy your new fischer price OS.
Now what does windows have to do with this?
c8924b042f90b7608f398bcbfb10a7b7.jpeg

You've been waiting to play a single Valve game on a single Linux distro for years?

Wine dude, it can already run L4D2... or better yet, just boot into Windows. :p

Note how he said "PC."

It's a bit different when you make and build your own console, isn't it? Or even your own phone and computer, as is the case with Apple.

The PC is and has been an open system. Grab your applications from the web wherever you please, swap your hardware as you see fit. Microsoft is changing both of those

http://www.reddit.com/r/technology/...minecraft_developer_got_an_email_from/c6eas72

I tried to argue on /r/minecraft that this certification process is required for Windows Store apps, not regular desktop, non-Metro/Windows Store applications. Minecraft is NOT a Windows Store app. It is nothing more than a JAR file loaded by an EXE file running in a JRE (Java runtime environment). It is not technically a standalone program that can install and uninstall itself like regular programs. It requires Java to load and run. Minecraft is not programmed in C++/C# or uses .NET Framework. It's a Java applet for goodness sake.

For example, if I was to make a game in Visual Studio Express 2010 (if I really could lol), the program doesn't ask me to certify it for use in Windows. I don't get a pop up that asks me at the end of compilation: "You must certify this program before using it in Windows. Agree to continue to certification page." If I give it to a friend and he runs it, Windows doesn't put up a warning that says program is not certified for use in Windows 7 (or even Windows 8) for that matter.

Developers shouldn't need to pay more to have a program be certified to use in Windows, and they shouldn't. And, computer software developers shouldn't be asked to take extra steps just to have their program run in Windows. If Microsoft requires payment, especially yearly, for certification of any and all programs-- non-Windows Store and Windows-- just so that they can run in Windows 8 and future Windows OSes, then that will probably kill a lot of indie game developers or small software developers.

There's already payments for WHQL and signed 64-bit drivers of what I recall is around $100-plus a year for certification. The requirements for Windows Store and Xbox Live are already asking too much. 30% cut of each and all sales in Windows Store? $40,000 fee for patches through Xbox Live? Screw Microsoft, honestly.

It's already starting to look like Microsoft really wants to close off Windows eventually like how Apple has done with OSX and its hardware/software ecosystem. My friend who is a programmer himself is not going to be all too happy if he has to go through extra hoops just to certify a program to run in Windows and if Microsoft requires payment, will not agree to paying Microsoft more money for certification.

They've already taken large strides in closing down both their hardware and software environments. Windows 7 may be the last Microsoft desktop OS.

If I were some of you, I'd get a start on adapting and learning Linux, otherwise you might as well buy a tablet.

I wish people would stop using the word Linux. The kernal is Linux. The GUI isn't. If you are not using the command line and only the command line, then you are using a lot more than "Linux."

Oh yeah, it isn't open source.

This may catch on but it is not what I nor should any real Linux supporter welcome.

Why would any application needs to be certified to run on Windows 8? WHQL drivers, that I can understand. Up till now I've never heard of any application that need's Microsoft's approval to run on Windows XP or Windows 7 for example, and this is something that should not change.

Why would any application needs to be certified to run on Windows 8? WHQL drivers, that I can understand. Up till now I've never heard of any application that need's Microsoft's approval to run on Windows XP or Windows 7 for example, and this is something that should not change.

I believe the ARM version of Windows 8 is locked down via the use of WinRT API only for Windows ARM devices with the exception of a few Microsoft non WinRT products. WinRT apps are only available through the Windows Store. The PC version coaxes you into the Windows store. I would fully expect Windows 9 to more than coax you into it if they keep their present tact.

I really really hope that games developers start looking to Linux, though I think it's gonna take a mighty big tep, more than just Valve deciding to port over Steam. We already have enough problems with companies making shit console -> windows ports, I can't imagine they'll like dedicating the resources to also making linux ports.

But linux with the power of gaming would be awesome. It'll finally give gamers the freedom to give the middle finger to MS if they don't like the direction the Windows platform is taking instead of just having to suck it up and buy new versions of Windows to get the latest direct x and support.

windows 7 will be here for another 6-7 years just like XP. It will probably represent the last desktop operating system from Microsoft. It's probably the last operating system us enthusiasts will buy as OEM.

Personally I have been running Mint as my primary for a while now, and though most games suck on it, I can see them pushing hard to get off directx. In the end, everyone's gaming experience will be much better off for it too.

I believe the ARM version of Windows 8 is locked down via the use of WinRT API only for Windows ARM devices with the exception of a few Microsoft non WinRT products. WinRT apps are only available through the Windows Store. The PC version coaxes you into the Windows store. I would fully expect Windows 9 to more than coax you into it if they keep their present tact.

Secure Boot is also a part of the Win 8 RT/ARM devices, supposedly to secure the OS but in actuality is preventing installation of non-Windows operating systems on a Win 8 RT/ARM device.
"Want to install Android or a Linux-based distribution on this ARM/Win 8 RT tablet?

Fuck off. Windows only."​
Asking for certification just for a program to run as a requirement on it is pretty much a throwback against what Windows desktop operating systems have had the freedom to do-- install and run whatever you like on it.

If this concept gets carried from Windows 8 RT into Windows 9 and higher, I don't think many software developers will be all too happy about it. Making a Windows Store app already looks like it's asking too much from software developers as it is. Lengthy rules for Windows Store apps and requirements to be met before it can be distributed and sold on there. The 30% cut is also something that probably doesn't sit well with a lot of developers as well. My friend I mentioned before is none too happy about it either, and he, too, sees that Microsoft is probably going to head in this direction over time-- a closed off system controlled by Microsoft.

I don't think many consumers or even developers will be all to happy having Microsoft approve or disapprove your program before it can run in Windows.
"Sorry, can't approve certification of your program because it violated one rule."

"Your program does not come with a valid installer and uninstall program."

"This program is not certified to run on Windows 9."

"Program's certification has ended and needs to be re-certified before you can run the program again."​
And, that's the fear a lot of people are starting to have beginning with Windows 8 and future Windows operating systems.

If Microsoft truly intends to move down this path in the future, then it's going to be a dark time in desktop computing regardless of what innovation or new idea Microsoft brings about in a new operating system.

You really think they'll have a hard time filling in those people? There must be so many people just wishing to leave Windows that this would be a dream come true for them. So long as they have games that people wanna play, many more people will wanna beta test for this then they can offer.

694.png

This. SO THIS.

With Valve's new crappy EULA, I am not going to jump of joy but it's a good and expected move. Ubuntu is not extremely open and free imo, I really dislike how they force users into shit drivers.

With Valve's new crappy EULA, I am not going to jump of joy but it's a good and expected move. Ubuntu is not extremely open and free imo, I really dislike how they force users into shit drivers.
Its easier to count who doesn't have this in their EULA now than who does. Microsoft had it out there with a Windows 7 Update almost right away long before Steam. I guarantee its in Windows 8's EULA.

Forced into shit drivers?

That's the kernel...? Kernel stretches across all the distros. It's the one thing that binds Linux together.

What the hell are you talking about? lol

Back