Adobe: Next Photoshop Won't Support Win XP

HardOCP News

[H] News
Adobe says next version of Photoshop will not support Windows XP even though almost forty percent of the planet still runs the aging OS. Then again, how many people running XP were planning on plunking down $700+ for the next version of Photoshop anyway?

The Photoshop team would like to provide advanced notice that Photoshop CS6 (13.0) will be the last major version of Photoshop to support Windows XP. (Photoshop CS6 does not support Windows Vista.) In addition, all subsequent Photoshop feature updates specifically for Creative Cloud members will no longer support Windows XP. Leveraging advances available on newer operating systems and hardware allows us to deliver significantly better performance, and focus our innovation efforts around the areas of the greatest benefit to our customers.

Oh... darn???
Damn you Adobe! How dare you not support my 11 year old OS!! :p

Anyone who is really upset about this REALLY needs to move on to Win 7 or 8.

CS6 supported Windows XP? :eek:

So I didn't have to upgrade my Pentium-4, 1GB ram, 8.4GB Fireball hard drive? Thanks Adobe...

Because Vista gargles balls!
Holy shite, thread derail!!

It's pretty much identical to 7 after the first service pack. :p

Which is why it's weird they don't support it... It's not like Vista or 7 have tons of programs the other wont run... :confused:

It's pretty much identical to 7 after the first service pack. :p

Which is why it's weird they don't support it... It's not like Vista or 7 have tons of programs the other wont run... :confused:
You can keep saying that, but it doesn't make it true. There are piles of under-the-hood changes and new APIs. Not the least of which is Direct2D (and the acceleration enabled under it with WDDM 1.1). If I had to guess, I'd suspect that was one of the underlying decisions here.

You can keep saying that, but it doesn't make it true. There are piles of under-the-hood changes and new APIs. Not the least of which is Direct2D (and the acceleration enabled under it with WDDM 1.1). If I had to guess, I'd suspect that was one of the underlying decisions here.

That doesn't make it not true either. Photoshop 5.x uses OpenGL hardware acceleration, and is multiple platfrom.

I don't care either way (I haven't even seen anything use Vista since forever), just seems a little weird.

40% of desktop users use xp but what percentage of users running the latest photoshop are still running xp. Not many i'm betting. Yay lets try to run photoshop cs6 with less than 4gb of available ram. Photoshop runs out of ram on my pc and has to use scratch disks and i'm running 48gb under my hood.

Pfft Linux. If we are playing the silly game:

Ubuntu (with unity :D) > Gentoo > Debian anything.

Whatever.... Slackware and TinyCore ... and no one has used Linux until they've compiled their own kernel to gain like 2% more performance while refusing to load a graphical interface of any sort, yet attempting to get normal office PC functionality out of their machine.

By the way, what's Photoshop again and why does it still exist when GIMP is around for free?

Because we know Skribbels is never serious?:p

Only once in a great while. :) But yeah..GIMP because Photoshop is for people with money or businesses or that actually want support or to do something useful. For everyone else, there's GIMP.

and no one has used Linux

Not quite true! It's up to at least 3 people now!

By the way, what's Photoshop again and why does it still exist when GIMP is around for free?

It's the thing that does the fancy stuff and doesn't break lots. Then has fancy plugins for other programs, and you can use giant pictures on and other stuff without it breaking lots more (have used GIMP...wasn't enjoyable. It's good it's free, otherwise there would be 0 users. It's kind of like OpenOffice vs Word. OpenOffice works, but it's just kind of totally shitty).

I'm sure most people "buy" Photoshop via..."means" or get it with the student deals for not much.

I hate myself for buying Windows Vista Ultimate. :(

Wasn't a bad OS, but was such a waste of money.

Not quite true! It's up to at least 3 people now!

It's the thing that does the fancy stuff and doesn't break lots. Then has fancy plugins for other programs, and you can use giant pictures on and other stuff without it breaking lots more (have used GIMP...wasn't enjoyable. It's good it's free, otherwise there would be 0 users. It's kind of like OpenOffice vs Word. OpenOffice works, but it's just kind of totally shitty).

I'm sure most people "buy" Photoshop via..."means" or get it with the student deals for not much.

Yeah, well you keep using your software that "works correctly" and I'll keep trying to get everyone to use GIMP which is totally the same except it's completely junk. Rawr!

I hate myself for buying Windows Vista Ultimate. :(

Wasn't a bad OS, but was such a waste of money.

I like Vista, but Ultimate was kinda not necessary. Vista Business or Home is pretty much good enough.

Paint.NET for life.

MS Paint? :) Wait, what's Paint.NET? I should just search for it myself.

I find it hard to believe there were still people who tried to push CS6 on an XP machine..

Just did it the other day...

Businesses that continued to delay win7 because IT doesn't make money and things were running "fine" with XP, and have "more important" projects is going to start feeling the cost of their decisions.

Unfortunately IT departments are the ones to suffer (and users are going to hate IT) from a rushed or spotty (gap fix) win7 deployment.

Photoshop is just the first, more and more apps will only support Win7, google is already going that route by not supporting IE8 when 10 comes out (good for them, bad for us IT folk stuck in XP)

You can keep saying that, but it doesn't make it true. There are piles of under-the-hood changes and new APIs. Not the least of which is Direct2D (and the acceleration enabled under it with WDDM 1.1).
Those APIs were brought to Vista in the Platform Update.

YES YES YES

Phenomenal software. The latest versions are definitely professional quality and have been for a while now.
Paint.NET is certainly good for a free image editor, but it absolutely pales in comparison to Photoshop.

If GIMP or Paint.NET work for you, you were never the intended userbase for Photoshop anyway. I'm not sure why this debate comes up every time some amateur hobbyist considers themselves a professional. Both GIMP and Paint.NET are good for what they are, neither are suitable for professional use.

If only Apple did this for all the people that are trying to connect Macbooks to old archaic TVs with only composite inputs. My faith in humanity will increase.

Those APIs were brought to Vista in the Platform Update.

Yes, but Vista still does not support hardware acceleration of GDI, and DWM is still DirectX9. That's probably is why Adobe is choosing not to support it. Vista still has the potential to be slower and use more memory, even with the platform update installed onto it.

The weirdest part of this is that CS6 doesn't work on Vista BUT did on XP.
How many other programs support XP & 7 but not Vista? Weird.

If GIMP or Paint.NET work for you, you were never the intended userbase for Photoshop anyway. I'm not sure why this debate comes up every time some amateur hobbyist considers themselves a professional. Both GIMP and Paint.NET are good for what they are, neither are suitable for professional use.

Alot of professional photo businesses are owned by artsy types who are really uppity about their software suite and equipment. They invest heavily in their stuff so they tend to be super impressed by it and are looking for confirmation of their purchases. Part of Photoshop's business comes from that, but really MS Paint can do everything it can as long as you don't mind editing on a per-pixel basis.

The weirdest part of this is that CS6 doesn't work on Vista BUT did on XP.
How many other programs support XP & 7 but not Vista? Weird.

Read the link I posted. It worked, it just wasn't a supported configuration.

Alot of professional photo businesses are owned by artsy types who are really uppity about their software suite and equipment. They invest heavily in their stuff so they tend to be super impressed by it and are looking for confirmation of their purchases. Part of Photoshop's business comes from that, but really MS Paint can do everything it can as long as you don't mind editing on a per-pixel basis.

Too true. I can't afford the MS Paint certs, so I make do.

really MS Paint can do everything it can as long as you don't mind editing on a per-pixel basis.

Layers? Maybe, but it would take a very very very very long time to do some things. Plus no saving to .dds

For per pixel...Paintbrush > Paint. :D (cursor controls!)

Any reasonable engine should be able to load in a variety of formats beyond DDS, including more than one of the file types Paint can export. And even if it can't, you can write a DDS converter utility application in about 10 lines of C.

Just sayin'.

Any reasonable engine should be able to load in a variety of formats beyond DDS, including more than one of the file types Paint can export. And even if it can't, you can write a DDS converter utility application in about 10 lines of C.

Just sayin'.

It does a little more than that, and a direct format to format conversion probably wouldn't be too useful (plus youd have to have layers in paint, and alpha channels). But the time youd added all of that, you probably might as well make your own paint program.

The plugin does work in other programs which accept photoshop plugins (so PSP, gimp, etc. etc.)

Back