Google: 500M Android Devices Activated

HardOCP News

[H] News
Android's director of product management, Hugo Barra, made a Google+ post today claiming that a half a billion Android devices are currently activated around the globe. :eek:

Today is a big day for Android... 500 million devices activated globally, and over 1.3 million added every single day. Oh, and btw, the Jelly Bean statue is back in our front yard :)

Looks like we are seeing a replay of the happened in the 90’s with Mac vs. Windows.

The iPhone is like the Mac; only one manufacture, limited selection, mostly closed hardware (and software with the iPhone).
Android is like Windows; multiple hardware companies, almost too many choices, open software platform, etc.

When it comes to market share, the iPhone has already peaked. Apples overall sales volume may continue to increase slightly, but Android sales will continue to increase much faster rate as will its share of the market.

I’m sure Apple will get a bump in sales with their new phone, but the bump will be smaller than with past iPhones releases

Why is this BS? If Apple could say this it would, any company would be happy to taught numbers like these.

tout, I think....or was it trout...

"...happy to trout numbers like these." Yeah, I'll go with trout instead of marlin.

Anyhow, that number isn't a really huge surprise. Now if Microsoft would be kind enough to make a Windows Phone 8 wifi only device with around a 4 inch screen, they'd sell at least one of them to me.

Looks like we are seeing a replay of the happened in the 90’s with Mac vs. Windows.

The iPhone is like the Mac; only one manufacture, limited selection, mostly closed hardware (and software with the iPhone).
Android is like Windows; multiple hardware companies, almost too many choices, open software platform, etc.

When it comes to market share, the iPhone has already peaked. Apples overall sales volume may continue to increase slightly, but Android sales will continue to increase much faster rate as will its share of the market.

I’m sure Apple will get a bump in sales with their new phone, but the bump will be smaller than with past iPhones releases

Didnt apples US market share increase last quarter while Androids fell?

Granted Android is way more popular overseas, but if Apple can crack China they are smooth sailing.

Didnt apples US market share increase last quarter while Androids fell?

Granted Android is way more popular overseas, but if Apple can crack China they are smooth sailing.

For just the US market you are correct, but I was refering to the world wide market share.

World wide Market Share for the 2nd quarter:
— Android (Google Inc.) — 104.8 million units, 68.1 percent share (46.9 percent a year earlier)
— iOS (Apple Inc.’s iPhone) — 26.0 million units, 16.9 percent share (18.8 percent a year earlier)

Of course Apple will blame their slowdown in US sales the last couple month on all the people waiting for their new phone, but Android had the same problem in the US during the 2nd quarter, people where waiting for several of the comming Android 4.0 devices such as the S3.

These market share numbers don't mean much for either company (Google or Apple) ... on the PC side Apple was at less than 5% of the total market for a couple of decades ... and they were a viable company except for their brief near collapse at the end of the 90's ... Microsoft controlled the other 95% of the market ... right now Apple and Samsung get 95+% of the profits in the mobile space ... unless that changes it doesn't really matter whose market share is what ... profit determines market survival ... not market penetration ;)

Except the real question is: How many of those activated devices are still in regular use?

tout, I think....or was it trout...

"...happy to trout numbers like these." Yeah, I'll go with trout instead of marlin.

Anyhow, that number isn't a really huge surprise. Now if Microsoft would be kind enough to make a Windows Phone 8 wifi only device with around a 4 inch screen, they'd sell at least one of them to me.

Zune hd, wp8 version, id be happy!

Simply put, crApple does not have the ability to compete so long as they continue to sell overpriced designer junk.

It is the same reason why GM makes more than Ferrari (although the Ferrari, at least, has an actual benefit in having a faster engine. The iPhone, on the other hand is not faster and is less functional).

Simply put, crApple does not have the ability to compete so long as they continue to sell overpriced designer junk.

It is the same reason why GM makes more than Ferrari (although the Ferrari, at least, has an actual benefit in having a faster engine. The iPhone, on the other hand is not faster and is less functional).

Oh look..EVERYONE'S jelly of that HUGE Apple Pie...hhhmmmmm...PIE...

screen-shot-2012-09-10-at-4-00-08-pm1.png

Oh and

Apple collects 71% of the world’s smartphone profits, analysts reckon; Even though Samsung ships the most phones, it takes 37%; Taiwan’s HTC gets 1%. (That total exceeds 100% because it’s offset by losses at Nokia, BlackBerry-maker RIM, Motorola, Sony, LG and others.)

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timwors...ber-apple-takes-71-of-all-smartphone-profits/

That's only the US, the topic is worldwide.

"There's a sucker born every minute," and Apple overcharges them.

Yeah, on both counts.

Here's one more device activated.... Kindle Fire hd, tomorrow! Where's the Apple version, and will it be priced under 400 dollars for their clones?

Oh look..EVERYONE'S jelly of that HUGE Apple

Apple collects 71% of the world’s smartphone profits, analysts reckon; Even though Samsung ships the most phones, it takes 37%; Taiwan’s HTC gets 1%. (That total exceeds 100% because it’s offset by losses at Nokia, BlackBerry-maker RIM, Motorola, Sony, LG and others.)

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timwors...ber-apple-takes-71-of-all-smartphone-profits/

Because that is a good thing right? :rolleyes:

Most people in Europe don't buy iPhones because they aren't wowed by simple things like many Americans are. Also the price is horrifically high in Europe and it makes no sense to get an iPhone

That's only the US, the topic is worldwide.

"There's a sucker born every minute," and Apple overcharges them.

Hah, if you could market like they can you would too. Haters gonna hate, and android users will always be jelly. If they wern't so jelly they wouldn't try to demean Apple any chance they can and just go on enjoying their customization.

Hah, if you could market like they can you would too. Haters gonna hate, and android users will always be jelly. If they wern't so jelly they wouldn't try to demean Apple any chance they can and just go on enjoying their customization.

Huh? Why would we be jealous? We have better phones and it isn't hurting us that sheep are buying bad ones. It is just funny to see them religiously rallying for their messiah apple.

Do you live in Cupertino by chance?

Nothing wrong with good marketing ... remember PT Barnum once sold a load of White Salmon he bought by putting a sign on them saying "White Salmon, Guaranteed not to turn pink" ... whether you agree with Apple's strategies or not they are pure capitalists in their market place ... they charge what the market will bear ... and since they are the only computer maker making a profit and one of only three mobile phone companies making a profit they are good businessmen (if nothing else) ;)

You guys are ridiculous. Both platforms are great for what they are... the upcoming Windows 8 phones will be nice too. You can bet on one thing, without competition, consumers loose. Can't we all just get the fuck along...

You guys are ridiculous. Both platforms are great for what they are... the upcoming Windows 8 phones will be nice too. You can bet on one thing, without competition, consumers loose. Can't we all just get the fuck along...

fanboys from all three sides would disagree

Hopefully Microsoft can win the competition like they did with Windows (the only REAL operating system :p ) and then we can all be members of the same happy dysfunctional family again :D:cool:

Seriously though ... I agree they all have their strong points ... in the current environment I would go with a Windows PC ... an Apple Tablet ... and an Android phone ... since those are pretty much the best in their class right now ... others mileage may vary though :p

People have a genetic predisposition to see solving problems as a matter of taking sides. In a lot of ways, things are simply black and white or good and evil. Humans rarely develop the transcendent intellect necessary to allow them to see shades of gray (hehe, book pun intended). That's why there's always this polarity in these forums. You're either on that side over there or you're on the other side and both sides have to be extremists. So no, no one will get along and lots of the people in this forum allow their views to be too narrow to see how dumb it is to have a serious debate.

People have a genetic predisposition to see solving problems as a matter of taking sides. In a lot of ways, things are simply black and white or good and evil. Humans rarely develop the transcendent intellect necessary to allow them to see shades of gray (hehe, book pun intended). That's why there's always this polarity in these forums. You're either on that side over there or you're on the other side and both sides have to be extremists. So no, no one will get along and lots of the people in this forum allow their views to be too narrow to see how dumb it is to have a serious debate.

brain ... smoke ... failure failure failure....

Do you live in Cupertino by chance?

Nope, but I laugh at how you guys love to hate on anything Apple. It gives me a good laugh just how butthurt people can get over a "rival" company. Android is good, iOS is good..mwhy does owning an iPhone mean someone is a sheep? over 20 million GSIII owners must all be sheep too?

Get over yourselves.

Nope, but I laugh at how you guys love to hate on anything Apple. It gives me a good laugh just how butthurt people can get over a "rival" company. Android is good, iOS is good..mwhy does owning an iPhone mean someone is a sheep? over 20 million GSIII owners must all be sheep too?

Get over yourselves.

No, just iOS sucks. It's got sheep followers who buy it just on marketing. Win phone and android, not so much.

Back