Pirate Bay Founder Arrested in Cambodia

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
The old saying "you can run, but you can’t hide" obviously applies in Cambodia for Pirate Bay founder Gottfrid Svartholm Warg, who was arrested in Phnom Penh yesterday. Warg was convicted in 2009 in Sweden and sentenced to one year in jail. He appealed the sentence, but failed to appear in court in 2010 and has been a fugitive ever since. An international warrant was issued at that time for his arrest.

After failing to request his appeal be heard, the guilty verdict came into force in October 2011 and when Svartholm Warg failed to turn up for prison at the appointed time on April 18th 2012, an international warrant was put out for his arrest.

So he appealed initially correct? Because of this I'm guessing he was originally found guilty. Either way, sucks for Gottfrid, but ultimately he knew this was coming!

It's only a year and he's probably going to be put in a low security prison with non-violent offenders. I don't see why that's worth becoming a fugitive over. Now he'll be charged with all sorts of other stuff.

After hearing about HBO giving countries free online access to their shows, I have to wonder if this is just companies who refuse to change their business model. Going after the PirateBay is just beating a dead horse. Blocking the PirateBay hasn't worked, and now there's free VPN. Well, there's always been free VPN, but whatever.

So lets say they shutdown PirateBay. What then? Do they think they'll win the piracy wars or something?

I have these antiquated things called "morals", :eek:.

then you must recognize the moral imperative to wrest control of our culture from the clutches of these "intellectual Property" rent seekers. :D

I have these antiquated things called "morals", :eek:.

I have antiquated things called common sense and fiscal responsibility and they both are wondering if this is the best use of peace officers time and money.

Why is everyone else responsible for paying to protect medias antiquated business model?

So lets say they shutdown PirateBay. What then? Do they think they'll win the piracy wars or something?

Sad part is, I think they do believe that closing The Pirate Bay will end piracy a bit. MPAA/RIAA is constantly trying to get the words 'Torrent' censored, torrents and torrent sites removed from google and other search engines as Google's transparency reports are showing.

I think the goal is to continue to allow the tech-savvy to pirate which might be 3-5% of the population and go after those without the greatest technical skills. By shutting down the sites the 50% of population with little tech skills(TPB users) use and preventing them from finding new replacement sites via google searching, I think they want to drive those people back to theatres, buying/renting DVDs, using Netflix or well... just plain paying.

Sad part is, I think they do believe that closing The Pirate Bay will end piracy a bit. MPAA/RIAA is constantly trying to get the words 'Torrent' censored, torrents and torrent sites removed from google and other search engines as Google's transparency reports are showing.

I think the goal is to continue to allow the tech-savvy to pirate which might be 3-5% of the population and go after those without the greatest technical skills. By shutting down the sites the 50% of population with little tech skills(TPB users) use and preventing them from finding new replacement sites via google searching, I think they want to drive those people back to theatres, buying/renting DVDs, using Netflix or well... just plain paying.

Thing is, you can't shut down The Pirate Bay

DNS hosting can be done anywhere, by anyone, at any time, and TPB operates completely remotely, the entire functioning website takes up less then 50MB.

Pretty soon TPB or its primary function is going to end up being part of the DHT/Peer Exchange/Local cloud discovery cloud itself, you won't need to goto pirate websites like TPB/Extratorrent/ISOhunt etc, the torrent clients themselves will be able to be searched

utorrent itself has its own built in network doing this already, so does Bitcomet. Like I said, eventually you won't even need TPB

It seems like I saw a show about a guy in a Swedish maximum security prison awhile back. He could come and go freely from his cell, he had a flat screen TV, a mini fridge, etc... Basically it looked like a college dorm room. If this guy is scared to go the country club then send him somewhere nice like Huntsville "Walls Unit", Pelican Bay, or Sing Sing.

Yeah I remember in college how when the major torrent site would get busted -- 2 weeks later there was a new king. Hell I can't even remember some of the names of the ones back in the day (we are talking 2002ish times)

Crap, I'm 30 years old. I'm sad now.

Seriously though - for all the money and time that's spent fighting a site like that.... is it really worth it? You could ban all forms of digital downloads tomorrow and guess what would happen. 24 hours after that people will setup swap meets and start burning DVD's again.

I don't mind paying a few bucks for something if it's worth it - keywords: Few and worth it.

The tighter they grip their consumer base the more piracy will occur.

one year low security jail vs fleeing to that dump Cambodia.

I'd rather do the time. That's a light sentence. 1 year will pass quickly if you give yourself something to do... like learning a new language

Plus, you only do 2/3's of your sentence, well at least here in the US. So if it applies over there too, it would only be 8 months. I've done three months in the box alone, it ain't shit! :mad: I wouldn't have risked more changes running away (unless he didn't rack up more changes...lol).

You want to fight piracy? Make your prices reasonable and your method of distribution as painless as possible for the end consumer. If it's sanely priced and one click away, you're going to move product.
Anything less is just pissing in the wind.

Gottfrid financially benefited from a site that was of software pirates, for software pirates, by software pirates. They actively encouraged illegal acts, and engaged in them themselves, then flaunted the fact that they were doing it. While I strongly disagree with many copyright and patent laws, pretending this guy was innocent, or some agent of beneficial change is pure BS, that does nothing to further the cause of copyright or patent reform.

Oh, and pay attention Assange, Sweden always gets their man. lol :p

Wow. Will this effect the website in any way?

Not even in the least. The Pirate Bay gets attacked every day by white hats and bitter rivals and remains fully functional. Sweden has tried many times to block the DNS servers and it continues to run.

The really isn't anything they can do to stop it unless all the Governments in that area work together. But there is a fat chance in hell of that happening so The Pirate Bay will remain uneffected.

You could shut down the internet for a month. Stats would show little or no difference. If anything went up, it would be DVD Rentals, and not by much.

It's simply a portion of a company that is dying. It is dying of natural causes - they are being revamped and modernized into being able to do the things they did much easier. With the internet and today's PC technology you can all of the following:
-Create Content (Movie, music, show, book, etc)
-Create Distributed format
-Release and populate it.

All of those were things that the MPAA and such went to people and said "You need us in order to do these". That is no longer necessary in many parts.

Also, correct me if I am wrong... but... aren't torent's these days still NOWHERE near as much as the ol' kazaa/emule/napster days? Last I recall, it was still mostly techies that did torrents.

then you must recognize the moral imperative to wrest control of our culture from the clutches of these "intellectual Property" rent seekers. :D

Lol, if you think your pirate bay addiction and the Site are about anything but mooching free to expensive stuff, you're either delusional or lying outright.

Also, correct me if I am wrong... but... aren't torent's these days still NOWHERE near as much as the ol' kazaa/emule/napster days? Last I recall, it was still mostly techies that did torrents.

Fuse or whatever torrent program it is kinda bridge the gap abit for simplicity of the masses, From my understanding it searches and download all in one program.

Fuse or whatever torrent program it is kinda bridge the gap abit for simplicity of the masses, From my understanding it searches and download all in one program.

Hahaha as a bit of a techie myself - I have never heard of fuse, so it can't be much popular.

How is it they could find this guy after a year with presumably very few people looking for him and no good idea where he originally went, and it took a decade to find Bin Laden with a $50 million price tag on his head and a fairly good idea that he was probably in Pakistan the whole time? :eek:

How is it they could find this guy after a year with presumably very few people looking for him and no good idea where he originally went, and it took a decade to find Bin Laden with a $50 million price tag on his head and a fairly good idea that he was probably in Pakistan the whole time? :eek:

This guy is a random joe without loads of money or followers, who probably got ratted on by someone for the reward. Bin Laden had paid followers to hide his ass, and kept moving around.

Different people, different cultures.

Lol, if you think your pirate bay addiction and the Site are about anything but mooching free to expensive stuff, you're either delusional or lying outright.

Actually, I do not believe I have ever visited the pirate bay. I have not pirated any content for several years now. Generally corporate content holds little interest for me as I tend to prefer live, locally produced, entertainment.

Further, if you believe that my view lacks ideological depth you are sorely mistaken

http://marketing5.net/Two-Relationships-to-a-Cultural-Public-Domain-download-w4025.pdf

Basically TPB didnt do anything illegal, google does the same thing, which then the law should put them into a trail along the way.
the old busienss dont work anymore, technhology has changed the rules but those with money and want more, dont want it to end, obviously.

Actually, I do not believe I have ever visited the pirate bay. I have not pirated any content for several years now. Generally corporate content holds little interest for me as I tend to prefer live, locally produced, entertainment.

Further, if you believe that my view lacks ideological depth you are sorely mistaken

http://marketing5.net/Two-Relationships-to-a-Cultural-Public-Domain-download-w4025.pdf

Oh, right, that's why you have that copy of "The Oogieloves" on your computer rather than "The Bourne Legacy" :p, I guess.

Linking a random castles-in-the-clouds ideological document doesn't change anything as to what the current law is and certainly doesn't downloading make downloading warez somehow magically "right" or "justified".

What, pray tell, is an "Oogieloves"?

Bourne...Matt Damon spy thing right? I think I saw part of one of those on cable in a hotel...was stupid.

Article is not random, tldr; once content is released into a culture it becomes part of that culture and belongs to everyone. Works of art will be cut up, sampled, mashed, pilloried, parodied and, yes, pirated. Deal with it.

Either that, or our military sucks at tracking people down compared to Federal law enf.

Well, the article did say it was an international warrant. It doesn't say exactly who nabbed him. Still, it was awful quick relatively speaking compared to other wanted persons.

Back