The Raptor RT01 Is Your Next Table / Desk

It's a nice looking design, but I wish the screws were shorter. I could see those bumping against legs and knees which might be annoying depending on how high up you like to move your chairs.

It's a nice looking design, but I wish the screws were shorter. I could see those bumping against legs and knees which might be annoying depending on how high up you like to move your chairs.

Yeah, traditional legs at the corners provides a lot more room for knees and legs.

Yeah, traditional legs at the corners provides a lot more room for knees and legs.

WFo57.jpg

All the function for less than 1/100th the cost.

The day I ended up having to use a banquet table for a desk (moved and needed something temporary) was the day I stopped looking for desks. I just ended up keeping the table. They're not pretty but they're, by far, the best, most comfortable, wonderful tables I've ever used as a desk. Absolutely no obstructions for knee/leg room, easy as fuck to move, won't be a nightmare to deal with if you end up having to relocate, you won't freak any time something falls onto it. Surface a little worn? Get some linoleum tiles or epoxy mix and resurface it.

I seriously would never use anything else as a desk.

What 10k are you talking about?

There was a guy a while back (I think in 1902ish) some guy decided it would be a good idea to make a desk. From walnut, for $10k. It took months and months or something. The end desk looked like this...

AXNqn.jpg
... Walnut is expensive for some reason.

I probably missed out a load of stuff that someone else can fill in better. But thats the basic thing. :D

Why is there a Zima bottle in that picture?!

And that story made no sense at all. You need a bunny with a pancake on it's head.
bunny-with-pancake-on-its-head.jpg

WFo57.jpg

The day I ended up having to use a banquet table for a desk (moved and needed something temporary) was the day I stopped looking for desks. I just ended up keeping the table. They're not pretty but they're, by far, the best, most comfortable, wonderful tables I've ever used as a desk. Absolutely no obstructions for knee/leg room, easy as fuck to move, won't be a nightmare to deal with if you end up having to relocate, you won't freak any time something falls onto it. Surface a little worn? Get some linoleum tiles or epoxy mix and resurface it.

Ghetto tastic! Why can't I find one in black? Or something other than that fake wood grain veneer?

What 10k are you talking about?

What is “the 10k desk?”
A user by the name of Lantec purchased a $10,000 wooden desk for his computer area. He was taunted mercilessly for buying such a piece of crap desk, as the community concluded. It turned out that he paid in Canadian dollars, so that equates to around $46 in USD.

WFo57.jpg

I would only because I'm 6'5" and I don't like to hit my knees on those locking mechanisms underneath.

Ghetto tastic! Why can't I find one in black? Or something other than that fake wood grain veneer?

Yeah. Ghettotastic but I'm the type to favor function over form every time. And it seriously is the best desk I've ever used.

I'd love mine in black, too. But I ended up snagging some linoleum on sale that was super high quality and looked good as the surface. People ask if it's an actual wood skin on top.

http://www.armstrong.com/commflooringna/product_details_toolbox_magnify.jsp?item_id=112917

That could work pretty well, though. I might do that next when the top needs replacing.

I would only because I'm 6'5" and I don't like to hit my knees on those locking mechanisms underneath.

I thought it'd be a problem for me. It wasn't. When I need to let the boys air out a bit and go as wide as I can, I don't end up hitting my knees on any of the brackets. Intentionally trying to get my knee on the bracket is actually pretty difficult. I have to spread my legs (heh!) wide enough to where it starts to hurt before I can barely touch the brackets on both sides.

WFo57.jpg

Works for my tech bench. :)
PICT0020.jpg

That glass top might make a nice dinner table but not a desk.

It would be $10,104.00 US dollars if he paid in Canadian dollars.

That event occurred before the USD went into the shitter, much closer to when it was 0.50USD to 1CAD than the role reversal of today.

And, yeah, that is a nice looking desk. Especially aluminum with the silver grey or black top. I might just have to get one of those cheap buffet tables though, as I would like a sturdier desk than what I have but don't want the insane static of a plastic folding table and lack the funds for something more substantial.

I thought it'd be a problem for me. It wasn't. When I need to let the boys air out a bit and go as wide as I can, I don't end up hitting my knees on any of the brackets. Intentionally trying to get my knee on the bracket is actually pretty difficult. I have to spread my legs (heh!) wide enough to where it starts to hurt before I can barely touch the brackets on both sides.

How wide is it? I usually am under the ones that are about 4ft wide. Maybe that is my problem lol. I usually have the chair on low rider height to keep my knees from contacting those things, but then my wrists begin to hurt from direct resting contact with the edge of the table. But thats the only way I can get any air flow lol :D.

Jesus man...there is a table in there?!?!/!

:D

To quote a wise man (me), "If you can see my desk then I'm not working hard enough and you should fire me." Since it looks like your personal bench, tell the wife that if it wasn't on the table, it would be in her closet. :)

And I used a glass top diner table as a computer desk for years until I scored my huge corner desk when a friend moved. The only problem I ever had with it was recovering from the adrenaline surge every time I dropped something on it.

Function over form, until money doesn't matter.

Jesus man...there is a table in there?!?!/!

:D

I would say that is fairly well organized. There is a lot of stuff, sure, but it isn't just heaped everywhere.

I would totally do that and lay down a different surface on it but the wife would not be pleased. Although my 15 year old Staples $99 special is just about ready to fall apart. It has a black top but is so gouged up it's not funny. But looks fine until you turn the lights on.

I would need some drawer space to put stuff though, and a place to put my pc off the floor, so that's extra cost and probably be a pain to get stuff that matched colors somewhat.

WFo57.jpg

same here. I have an 8' banquet table, in dark walnut finish. I'll never go to anything else. :cool:

mine is a fake walnut grain veneer. It would not be hard to replace it with wood, as the frame and legs are all screwed on. I just might do that some day if it ever gets too damaged.:cool:

Looks good, but those legs would bang the hell out of my knees. Form > function.

interesting, not ugly, but i still didnt see one that beats the lian li F1s in black.

Those "church" tables do make really nice desks. Lots of room for legs or parts etc etc.

Happily used 2 in an L shape, though my legs did hit the table legs if computer is set in the corner.

About a year back I replaced my sagging tables with an ikea Galant desk, still very happy with that desk as well. Very sturdy, adjustable, and almost any config desired can be created.

You could also probably build a desk structure similar to this with cast iron pipe works and buy a sheet of think glass to plop on top. That is, if you can't find one of those fold out POS tables.

Man, that thing is BFing ugly.

I have 4 folding tables. If you get the higher quality ones from a furniture store, they will be just as functional and look nice too. Not much more than the cheap folding tables either.

I feel like i would bang my knees on where the legs connect to the desk. I know it looks "cooler" with the legs attaching at 45° angles but i don't see how it's practical...:rolleyes:

Straight legs are much more space efficient. Personally, I won't buy a table for my desktop that also doesn't have a backplate, as there is no other good way to hide cables.

BTW, the coolest looking desks I've seen are wall mounted desks with spaced backplates.

These use six bolts into studs using the backplate that is somewhat spaced from the wall in order to hide cables behind, and the desk top surface connects to that without a angle brace, so it looks extremely clean and is very functional.

Use a nice swivel wall mount for your monitor, use a spiral wrap for the cables coming from it, and they can hide behind the backplate and go to your desktop on the floor mounted lengthwise parallel to the wall for maximum space efficiency and to blow the exhaust heat away from you (with no backpressure from being too close to a wall as is often the case).

THAT will be my next setup. :)

BTW, the coolest looking desks I've seen are wall mounted desks with spaced backplates.

These use six bolts into studs using the backplate that is somewhat spaced from the wall in order to hide cables behind, and the desk top surface connects to that without a angle brace, so it looks extremely clean and is very functional.

Use a nice swivel wall mount for your monitor, use a spiral wrap for the cables coming from it, and they can hide behind the backplate and go to your desktop on the floor mounted lengthwise parallel to the wall for maximum space efficiency and to blow the exhaust heat away from you (with no backpressure from being too close to a wall as is often the case).

THAT will be my next setup. :)

Have any pics of this? sounds interesting.

Back