AMD Delay Launch of Desktop Trinity To October

HardOCP News

[H] News
DigiTimes, citing its usual anonymous sources, claims that AMD is delaying its desktop Trinity processors until October.

AMD has reportedly postponed the launch of its Trinity processors for desktop platforms from August to October in order to make some adjustments to the processors' designs. Downstream motherboard makers are also rushing to make adjustments to their new motherboard projects set to release in the second half, according to sources from motherboard makers.

high inventory of llano eh ?

this is not going to be good for the stock this quarter

No way is it going to be possible to do any re-design of the architecture in a couple of months.

I go with dr.kevin's idea... either that, or they are still having fab issues, and have more throwers than keepers.

Well it may just be some last minute tweaks they've gotta get squared away. I'm not worried. This isn't like Bulldozer's constant delays. We've already seen Trinity in laptops and what it can do.

I don't think it's a backlog of Llano. Those things sold like hotcakes so I doubt they've got a problem with backstock.

Yay, the a8 build I did about a month ago will still have the fastest amd cpu with a gpu for desktop for a while longer... was super depressed when i saw the press release for these 2 days after I built it. Yeah, that's a pretty big qualifier for fastest, but I'm usually too cheap to buy anything near the top, so I was excited about it (I got the Black Edition too, because Frys didn't stock the regular one :)

Yeah but the article also says this:

"Meanwhile, AMD originally planned to fully replace AM3-based processors with its FM1-based processors, but has recently adjusted its roadmap and changed the phase-out schedule of AM3-based processors from mid-2012 to the second quarter of 2013,"

If anything surely they mean socket FM2 ?? ....so pinch of salt for the *reason* for the delay, not necessarily for the delay itself...

Whats this AMD thing you speak of?

Is it relevant to anything I should care about?

No way is it going to be possible to do any re-design of the architecture in a couple of months.

I go with dr.kevin's idea... either that, or they are still having fab issues, and have more throwers than keepers.

Willing to bet that is the issue.

Whats this AMD thing you speak of?

Is it relevant to anything I should care about?

Only matters to Intel Lemmings...

CPU's are not as relevant as they once were. Get a cheap quad and overclock the pyss out of it and spend your money on a GPU.

The chipmaker expects Q3 growth of -4% to +2% Q/Q, below Street expectations of +6%, and Intel's guidance for 2%-10% growth. CPU division sales -13% Q/Q, primarily due to a lower ASP. Graphics division -5% with a flat ASP. Gross margin was flat Q/Q at 46%, expected to fall to 44% in Q3. Inventories rose $248M Q/Q to $833M due to lower sales

earnings report is out, and..............

they have a shitload of inventory. sales my ass.

glad i sold the stock after Q1's results

Notice how the chip makers will only sell remaining OEM stock completely, before inducing new products into the channel. Most often, enthusiasts will get the short end of the stick with new product launches.

Back