Apple Pays $60M to Settle IPad Trademark Dispute

HardOCP News

[H] News
Coming as a surprise to no one, Apple has agreed to pay $60 million to end its iPad trademark dispute with Proview Technology.

Apple Inc has paid $60 million to Proview Technology (Shenzhen) to end a dispute over the iPad trademark in China that saw the world's most valuable technology company engaged in a protracted legal tussle with a near-bankrupt Chinese firm.

Since this is a Chinese company, I wouldn't be surprised if Communist Party officials had strong-armed Apple to paying up.

Looks like all the bitching and whining of the Chinese company "You trick me! I ser you name because I thought you small company!" paid off well.

Nice work Proview, here is to the next lawsuit when ur $60m runs out. I guess you guys probably trademarked Retina, as so many of us enjoy using your ultra hi-res monitors so much. You know, the industry standard... right?

I have two retinas and I had them before Apple did. Does that mean I can get some millions in cash and maybe an Apple logo mouse pad too?

apparently american [h] users hate more china than apple, huh

Why are u guys mad on the little guy?since apple payed up, it clearly means they were guilty of something.

Why are u guys mad on the little guy?since apple payed up, it clearly means they were guilty of something.
Companies settle lawsuits for for all kinds of reasons, which have little to do with whether they are "guilty" of something or not.

Considering Proview, which is basically bankrupt, was suing Apple for $1 billion and asking for a sales injunction prohibiting Apple from selling iPads in all of China, there was good reason for Apple to settle. Proview was having some success in the Chinese courts. $60 mil is pocket change to Apple anyway.

fake-ssd-drive-jpg.566

Companies settle lawsuits for for all kinds of reasons, which have little to do with whether they are "guilty" of something or not.

Considering Proview, which is basically bankrupt, was suing Apple for $1 billion and asking for a sales injunction prohibiting Apple from selling iPads in all of China, there was good reason for Apple to settle. Proview was having some success in the Chinese courts. $60 mil is pocket change to Apple anyway.
Yes but noone would take 1 billion claims seriously if it wasn't actualy a serious matter and those guys had some rights in all of this. Apple sues companies for the shape of the phone,u bet your ass someone would sue them for a name. Name stealing is more serious than the shape of the phone,wich all phones share lol. I wish they would have got 1 billion,serves apple right imo for sueing everybody over every stupid thing...

Yes but noone would take 1 billion claims seriously if it wasn't actualy a serious matter and those guys had some rights in all of this. Apple sues companies for the shape of the phone,u bet your ass someone would sue them for a name. Name stealing is more serious than the shape of the phone,wich all phones share lol. I wish they would have got 1 billion,serves apple right imo for sueing everybody over every stupid thing...

Apple is the only that does this right? Other companies doesn't protect their patents. Do you even know how many patents Apple owns vs other companies?

patent1.jpg

Apple is the only that does this right? Other companies doesn't protect their patents. Do you even know how many patents Apple owns vs other companies?

That explains why they're applying for patents on things like shape and size. They're way behind and have hugenormous patent envy!

the short version of the story is Proview (a Taiwanese company) sold Apple the rights to use the name "iPad" six years ago but Proview Technology (a Chinese subsidiary of Proview) recently claimed to Chinese courts that the agreement shouldn't apply in mainland China.

patent1.jpg
Size and shape is a stupid patent in my book,and they atacked samsung with it. Next thing u know no other phone is allowed to use black color,stupidity has to end sometime. Its like sueing all car makers for having similar shape to the first car ever envented lol imagine sueing some company because their pen has the same shape as your pen.

Yes but noone would take 1 billion claims seriously if it wasn't actualy a serious matter and those guys had some rights in all of this.
Only the Chinese courts were sympathetic to Proview's laughable claims. Proview's court case against Apple in the US was tossed out a couple months ago.

Apple sues companies for the shape of the phone,u bet your ass someone would sue them for a name. Name stealing is more serious than the shape of the phone,wich all phones share lol. I wish they would have got 1 billion,serves apple right imo for sueing everybody over every stupid thing...
I guess you're pleased when a company trademark trolls there way to tens of millions of dollars.

Proview did not create the current value of the iPad trademark, that was all Apple. Considering Proview's creditors were initially hoping for a $400 million settlement, they only got a small fraction of what they desired.

Size and shape is a stupid patent in my book,and they atacked samsung with it. Next thing u know no other phone is allowed to use black color,stupidity has to end sometime. Its like sueing all car makers for having similar shape to the first car ever envented lol imagine sueing some company because their pen has the same shape as your pen.

Did you know that coca-cola also patented a shape of a bottle? They also have a patent for the color RED.

Apple will make up the $60m by throwing a few more Foxconn workers off the roof.

that's just a hundred thousand ipads. no big deal. They'll sell that in a week.

Since this is a Chinese company, I wouldn't be surprised if Communist Party officials had strong-armed Apple to paying up.

Since this is Apple we're talking about, I wouldn't be surprised if they just blatantly disregarded existing trademarks because they felt entitled to the name anyway. (Cisco and iPhone, for starters. Apple Corps vs Apple Computers, Apple Corps vs Apple Inc, Suing New York City for using a Green Apple logo, etc...)

Actually, it kind of explains why everyone sues/counter-sues Apple. Apple doesn't own the patents but they just use 'em anyway! :p

That's pretty much what jobs meant when he expressed that he wasn't going to "play ball" back when he was promoting the original iphone.

Back