HP's First Window 8 Tablet Will Be for Business Users

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Hewlett-Packard revealed on Friday that the first release its Windows 8 tablet will be intended for business customers, bypassing the Windows RT operating targeted for the consumer market in its initial release.

Some reports suggest HP and its fellow Windows PC builders are miffed at Microsoft for encroaching on their turf with the Surface tablets.

funny-animal-captions-i-have-no-idea-what-im-doing.jpg

What exactly classifies something as being for "business use", and in what way does that preclude it from being used for non-business purposes?

We got 3 HP Slate 2's for use in our office donated to us. We, in the IT Department of an Athletics division of a university, played with them for weeks and weeks. We even gave them to our family members to use. Coaches even. No one could find a use for it. It was slow, the interface was poor, and very very heavy.

I installed the Windows 8 preview on it and it felt much better having large icons but it still felt like a brick compared to devices like the Fire. The onscreen keyboard response was still terrible and the 1024x600 screen resolution made it really hard to do much of anything on it.

Let's hope HP pushes the specs a little higher for a Windows 8 device if they intend to get down to business. I think we're going to purpose one as a weather kiosk in the golf course pro shop. That's about all it seems to be good for.

I thought HP dropped its PC production and focused only on servers.

You have no idea what you're thinking. Business = money. Consumer = very little. No one in tablets has targeted business. I'm not saying it's going to be a success, but there is certainly potential.

What would be interesting is to know if their new desktop PCs will ship with Windows 8 after RTM, or still Windows 7. What do HP customers say?

But yeah, I don't see many devices getting ready, or many potential "touchtomers" ready to switch from Apple, Windows 8 might catch up later, but it looks like it will be a flop at launch time.

It seems to be the opposite of what happened for netbooks: The first netbooks released at Vista time but could not support it, so they ran on XP. Here Windows 8 RT will RTM a year before there are any significant number of ARM tablets in production.

That turned around and HP dumped the CEO that thought that was going to be a smart move.

I see. I'll have to look up exactly what happened since I dropped them off my radar after that quitting PC announcement, thanks.

Oh look, another slate from HP. Wonder how long it will take this one to flop.

Actually HP is now selling the second version of its much maligned HP Slate 500, the HP Slate 2. As a consumer tablet device yes these things were a total flop. But as just another OEM model they actually have done pretty well, at that would seem to be the case since HP has been selling these for 18 months, which is like 17 months longer than the Touchpad.

I have the HP Slate 500 and it's not a great device, it can run hot as it has no active cooling and it's on the slow side and crappy display for a tablet, but it is a 1.5 lbs. .5" thick x86 computer with around 5 hours of battery life and its pretty durable.

You have no idea what you're thinking. Business = money. Consumer = very little. No one in tablets has targeted business. I'm not saying it's going to be a success, but there is certainly potential.

I thought pretty much all pre-ipad tablets were aimed at business. Then the ipad came along and marketed to the consumer. Maybe my definition of "tablet" is off, but before the ipad I think every tablet I personally used were ones that businesses bought for their employees rather than ones people bought for themselves and most the tablets I saw were in business like applications.

I thought pretty much all pre-ipad tablets were aimed at business. Then the ipad came along and marketed to the consumer. Maybe my definition of "tablet" is off, but before the ipad I think every tablet I personally used were ones that businesses bought for their employees rather than ones people bought for themselves and most the tablets I saw were in business like applications.

This is a good point. Prior to the iPad, all tablets and tablet convertibles i've seen have only been in the hands of professionals.

This is true overall. Microsoft however did have a different vision in mind with the original Windows XP Tablet PC Edition. It was originally targeted at both consumers and businesses as the evolution of the laptop. However the price of those devices dissuaded average consumers and their other technical problems limited their popularity.

Right here! No Christmas card from Mr. Heatlesssun or... erm... other people that like it!

I don't think he noticed yet. If he did, I would get a lecture about it. ;)

You've posted too much! The more you post the more nuts you seem via title...look at mine :eek:

So the title begins to more closely represent my insanity as I make more comments! I like that! In a few years, I'll look just as nutty as I really am! ^^

I noticed, I simply took what you said rather than making a lame joke out of it.;)

Oh, well lame jokes are sometimes nice too. Back on topic though...

HP is making a tablet! I'm pretty sure that's a huge surprise to a lot of us since tablets are just like 3D movies. Both are technological dead ends. :p

So why do you think tablets are a fad?

It's a dead end technology, not a fad. I guess lumping it with 3D television and movies which were a fad was kinda unfair. Tablets will endure longer than 3D screens did on the market because a lot of people are really enamored with them in ways that they weren't with 3D video content. However, the convergence between phone and computer is in progress and I think that tablets are an ungainly, awkward middle ground that doesn't quite work like a smartphone, but isn't quite the same as using a laptop or desktop. When phones with a desktop OS and a really awesome dick become commonplace, tablets will probably see the end of their road.

"Dick dock, who's there?"

I light weight computer that can be controlled with touch that's bigger than a phone is here to stay. But full desktop OS phone I see as something that could be popular as well that can dock into say a tablet.

It's a dead end technology, not a fad. I guess lumping it with 3D television and movies which were a fad was kinda unfair. Tablets will endure longer than 3D screens did on the market because a lot of people are really enamored with them in ways that they weren't with 3D video content. However, the convergence between phone and computer is in progress and I think that tablets are an ungainly, awkward middle ground that doesn't quite work like a smartphone, but isn't quite the same as using a laptop or desktop. When phones with a desktop OS and a really awesome dick become commonplace, tablets will probably see the end of their road.

I agree. They're nothing more than toys in my opinion

"Dick dock, who's there?"

I light weight computer that can be controlled with touch that's bigger than a phone is here to stay. But full desktop OS phone I see as something that could be popular as well that can dock into say a tablet.

I quit!!! >.< Stupid fingers! Stupid brain! Stupid stupid!

Back