Rice Researchers Invent Paintable Battery

At first I thought they figured out a way to put paint on to batteries, then I thought how fucking stupid they must be and how I could just go spray paint a battery. Then I understood LOL :rolleyes:.

At first I thought they figured out a way to put paint on to batteries, then I thought how fucking stupid they must be and how I could just go spray paint a battery. Then I understood LOL :rolleyes:.
Oh good, I'm not the only stupid one here :D.

When they were trying to light up the Rice sign the second time, I thought they shorted something out when the room went dark.

I thought Rice researches meant people who do research on rice.
Then I was like, why would people do research rice be making batteries?
:D

Rice researchers invent a printable battery.

Meanwhile, Apple patents a rotating gesture to rotate the screen on a touch screen.

We're going to paint little happy trees on our batteries now. Don't cross the trees now between the two poles.

Hmm, pretty cool.

Now for the revised fight song:
"What does a Chinaman shit?"

"Rice! Rice! Rice!"

Just think of the possible uses for this! Batteries on walls, floors, on the outside of my Trapper Keeper (tm) that I just found 20 MILLION years after getting it when I was in 3rd grade! You could even use it to add lights to body paint costumes and further expand on a legitimate form of art!

Curious what the energy density of these guys are, they mentioned similar to conventional batteries but you look at the beginning of the video they show the "copper top" battery, basically copper & aluminum, so energy density of a Li_ion battery it is not.. kind of cool, but doesn't seem THAT useful.

This would be interesting for a wind or solar farm or even for space management in home solar kits. It's not that it's mindblowing, but the uses are extremely broad and could help with electrical management on a grand scale.

Solar panels? You need 20% more energy to charge a battery to capacity, and you lose another 20% pulling it out (Learned this when i got a batterypack, 5,600mah only gives you 3,300mah, the rest lost to heat). I'm not sure if you'd want these over a single large power battery for something as weak as a solar cell. How much power do they hold and how much does it take to charge?

Why was my first thought was Apple having a new excuse to tell you that they can't just replace the battery and that you'll have to buy a new unit? "Well, you see, the battery's painted across the whole assembly and can't be separated, so we can't relace just the battery". :mad:
Though I'd really like to see the possibilities for size, weight and hopefully price reduction once they get this process perfected.

Would be nice to be able to buy this stuff, I could paint my computer with it. Of course then it would probably electrocute me. Case modding opportunities.. :)

This is the kind of research we need.

Nobody needs to research why flies fuck.

I glanced at the thread title and interpreted it as, "Battery-powered Pain table"

Maybe I'm going goth? :rolleyes:

What a useful breakthrough. It only takes 9 - six inch square 'paint batteries' to power a handful of LED's. Maybe if I painted a battery onto my entire house I could power my laptop for a few minutes.

weak.

Ah, good. So I can keep my nipple rings and alligator clips. ;)

Yup, those are okay. In fact, the nipple rings might make a great place to use all that power from your paint-on battery. It'd save you a few dollars not buying electrified clamps for those moments when you're at home alone and want to light a few candles, cry, and electrocute yourself. ;)

Yup, those are okay. In fact, the nipple rings might make a great place to use all that power from your paint-on battery. It'd save you a few dollars not buying electrified clamps for those moments when you're at home alone and want to light a few candles, cry, and electrocute yourself. ;)

Just the thought of that brings an exquisite tear to my eye.

Hey! What if I get microelectrodes implanted in my eyelids, then the salt water could power an electrical circuit painted on my back. The circuit would run an ipod, of course.

+1

That Indian accent was probably the best part of the video though :D
I started feeling a bit of nerd rage coming on and then realized that I wasn't on a support call. I'm okay now. :p:D

What a useful breakthrough. It only takes 9 - six inch square 'paint batteries' to power a handful of LED's. Maybe if I painted a battery onto my entire house I could power my laptop for a few minutes.

weak.
This is still pretty cool, but yeah, just how long does this last? I understand this is just a concept but some more details would have been nice. I guess I'll have to try and find more info on my own. Grrr

weak.

Yup and the first car, was able to go 0-60 in 3 seconds with a top speed of 200mph, while getting 30 mpg?

The first car would be "weak" by your standards... Guess we are all glad they didn't have your attitude back then, cause we would still be riding horses (and watching out for horse apples:)).

Virtually all technology at this stage is not practical, especially compared to products with years of development and refinement.

This could be a useful and interesting tech, I guess it all comes down to the potential of the tech.

Sounds like a pain in the ass when you need to change the battery. Turpentine, steel wool and chisel instead of just popping out the battery. Or water and scouring pad - not good for electronics to begin with.

:-P

I'm kidding of course. Kinda.

Hah, like others, I was thinking... People who research Rice? Invent the ability to paint ona battery? Wtf?

Pretty Cool. Especially the idea of one side being a solar panel and the other being a battery to store the energy.

Yup and the first car, was able to go 0-60 in 3 seconds with a top speed of 200mph, while getting 30 mpg?

The first car would be "weak" by your standards...
Did ya see what you did there? You compared something that didn't exist (acceleration rates, speed, efficiency) at the time. The first cars actually were faster than your typical horse drawn carriage, and actually were an improvement over the certain aspects of existing technology of the day and at the very worst were on par with the existing technology. The guy didn't compare against nuclear fuel cells that allow you to get 90 shots from a plasma rifle... he compared against existing technology, 9 batteries to light up 41 LEDs, assuming 3.3V @ 30mA it would take about 4 watts.

Now, with your ecofriendly electric car, the first 5 paintjobs for free!

Did ya see what you did there? You compared something that didn't exist (acceleration rates, speed, efficiency) at the time. The first cars actually were faster than your typical horse drawn carriage, and actually were an improvement over the certain aspects of existing technology of the day and at the very worst were on par with the existing technology. The guy didn't compare against nuclear fuel cells that allow you to get 90 shots from a plasma rifle... he compared against existing technology, 9 batteries to light up 41 LEDs, assuming 3.3V @ 30mA it would take about 4 watts.

Actually no, the comparison was a car today vs a car when first invented (which btw had less then 1hp and under 10mph, similar to drawn carriage and it could carry only 2 people). Yes I was a bit melodramatic with the stats for the car (should be 0-60 in 10-15 seconds, top speed 115mph @ 30 mpg).

This is no different then comparing existing and fully developed battery tech to this newly invented tech. Which I would argue is plenty different enough to call it "new".

Actually no, the comparison was a car today vs a car when first invented (which btw had less then 1hp and under 10mph, similar to drawn carriage and it could carry only 2 people). Yes I was a bit melodramatic with the stats for the car (should be 0-60 in 10-15 seconds, top speed 115mph @ 30 mpg).

This is no different then comparing existing and fully developed battery tech to this newly invented tech. Which I would argue is plenty different enough to call it "new".

Could of used cell phones in the 80's too.

video reminded me of customer support phone calls. had a hard time understanding some of it e.g. at 0:46, he says it's comparable to "commershittyline" batteries ??

so I went and read the article and it all became clear.

I am also one of the fools who thought this was some stupid cosmetic shit for existing batteries.

Just the thought of that brings an exquisite tear to my eye.

Hey! What if I get microelectrodes implanted in my eyelids, then the salt water could power an electrical circuit painted on my back. The circuit would run an ipod, of course.

I don't know...what is the iPod loaded with a 24 hour loop of people moaning and crying to organ music with the occasional heavy breathing? It not, it may not be goth enough.

Back