Chinese Unreal Engine 3 DirectX 11 Benchmark

HardOCP News

[H] News
Just a heads up, you can finally download that DX11 benchmark from the Chinese game Passion Leads Army from Giant IronHorse. The game is powered by Unreal Engine 3 so you've pretty much seen it all in terms of tech but, for those of you that really like benchmarks, you can download it and give it a spin. Thanks to Cageymaru for the link!

Nice.

I hope NVIDIA doesn't put the damper on AMD cards.

everything maxed 1080p using FXAA(High) this is what i scored on my 7970@ 1125/1575 clocks. no physx of course...

ScreenShot00000.jpg

anyone seen any videos of the benchmark posted?

There is one on www . geforce . com

(can't link because [H] doesn't allow that site)

Here is the other part of the link:

/whats-new/articles/put-your-system-through-its-paces-download-the-pla-directx-11-and-physx-benchmark/

Doesnt run all that well on trifire..colour me shocked. Ati's support for that is virtually non existant at best.. :rolleyes:

1920x1080 FXAA(High) Sapphire HD7950 950mhz Edition OC 1320/1700

PLABM.jpg

Watched a video of it on YouTube and was a little underwhelmed. My biggest beef with the tessalation would be with the roads or walking paths that are popping out of the ground. They are 100% unrealistic, no human would intentionally want to walk on such a half assed construction, unless they were hoping to twist their ankle and sue their city (ah, America).
It was smart of the benchmark creators to place the photo at the beginning for the period of time they did, it momentarily fools the mind into thinking they are looking at something real rather than a simulation, though that effect wears offs briefly after the camera leaves through the window.

Watched a video of it on YouTube and was a little underwhelmed. My biggest beef with the tessalation would be with the roads or walking paths that are popping out of the ground. They are 100% unrealistic, no human would intentionally want to walk on such a half assed construction, unless they were hoping to twist their ankle and sue their city (ah, America).

lol. That is like the first thing I thought too.

Plus, I keep hearing this being touted as "better than BF3"-level graphics. Uh, okay, the tessellation is good, sure, but the textures are pretty sub-par compared to what I've seen in BF3 (and other titles for that matter).

Kinda makes me feel like no one gives a shit about quality textures these days, instead opting for 3D stuff like tessellation, filters, and whatnot, which really only looks good if backed by proper textures. Kind of ironic.

With rig in sig.

1920x1080 - 124.1 Avg - 220.2 Max

2560x1440 - 107.2 Avg - 175.1 Max

With default settings, all I changed was the screen resolution.

I'd try it out, but I'm concerned my PC would start spamming this forum with comments about how much money my mom makes on the internet after I ran it and then would have to deal with the jokes afterwards.... :D

I'd try it out, but I'm concerned my PC would start spamming this forum with comments about how much money my mom makes on the internet after I ran it and then would have to deal with the jokes afterwards.... :D

Always a possibility. ;)

I wasn't too worried since it's just the same demo they ran at the NV event where they revealed the 690 cards. Looks a lot nicer in person than the streaming video of it did.

4.16GHz Core i7 980x, SLI GTX 570 (stock clocks), 12GB DDR3 1066, DX11 Ultra. This bench Incorrectly reads my CPU frequency. Maybe it cannot detect my multiplier-only overclock.

bench-plagame.png

It likely just reads the code off the CPU and not what the MB is reporting.

Plus, I keep hearing this being touted as "better than BF3"-level graphics. Uh, okay, the tessellation is good, sure, but the textures are pretty sub-par compared to what I've seen in BF3 (and other titles for that matter).

Kinda makes me feel like no one gives a shit about quality textures these days, instead opting for 3D stuff like tessellation, filters, and whatnot, which really only looks good if backed by proper textures. Kind of ironic.

If it were just the textures all looking flat and bland it'd be one thing. The lighting looks bland, the particle effects weren't impressive, the flying glass from the explosions looked like crap, and most of the buildings looked like they were made out of perfect rectangles with textures painted on them like wallpaper over cardboard.

But at least they've got the tessellation working on that road! lol.

On my 6950 I've got a problem with it slowing down to around 15FPS for about 20 seconds, after you go through the iron gate in DX11.

PLAGameDX11.jpg

My average FPS is about the same in DX9 at 5200x1050 as DX11 at 1680x1050, with all settings maxed out and AA at FXAA High.
There are no slow downs in DX9, I'm on CAT 12.6 beta drivers with my 6950 unlocked to a 6970 at 880 core 1375 memory.
I noticed my 2 Gig 6950 runs out of memory at 5200x1050 with 8xMSAA, the FPS drop down to 4 as soon as I switch from 4xMSAA to 8xMSAA.

DX11 1680x1050 max settings FXAA high
PLAGame1680xFXAAhigh.jpg

PLAGame1680xFXAAhighScore.jpg

DX11 1680x1050 max settings 4xMSAA
PLAGame1680x4xMSAA.jpg

PLAGame1680x4xMSAAscore.jpg

DX9 5200x1050 max settings FXAA high
PLAGame5200xFXAAhigh.jpg

PLAGame5200xFXAAhighScore.jpg

Last edited:
4.16GHz Core i7 980x, SLI GTX 570 (stock clocks), 12GB DDR3 1066, DX11 Ultra. This bench Incorrectly reads my CPU frequency. Maybe it cannot detect my multiplier-only overclock.

bench-plagame.png

Nice results.

What were your resolution settings?

Doesn't seem like much a "good benchmark" to me with 100+ fps everywhere...

Seems good to me because the Unreal engine 3 Engine is using Direct X11 and PhysX and putting out some nice numbers for a high image quality.

The benchmark has a Valve feel to it to me.

If it were just the textures all looking flat and bland it'd be one thing. The lighting looks bland, the particle effects weren't impressive, the flying glass from the explosions looked like crap, and most of the buildings looked like they were made out of perfect rectangles with textures painted on them like wallpaper over cardboard.

Would Not Bang.

from videos I'm really not impressed either.... I would have loved to see the Samaritan demo as a benchmark instead. Still though I will try to run it tonight since I'll be home. This will be a 6970CFX setup with a GTX 550 Ti for PhysX :)

I'm curious why [H] is hawking a Chinese made product? This whole presentation seems odd.

edit: I realize that many products displayed on [H] are made in China, but this one seems odd for some reason.

Last edited:
I'm curious why [H] is hawking a Chinese made product? This whole presentation seems odd.

edit: I realize that many products displayed on [H] are made in China, but this one seems odd for some reason.

Likely because it's from a game company that also showed this demo running at the NV event where they revealed the 690 cards, which took place in China I believe.

Okay benchmark. I enjoyed all the cultural references. But the interacting with the gui is a bit funky.

Seems good to me because the Unreal engine 3 Engine is using Direct X11 and PhysX and putting out some nice numbers for a high image quality.

The benchmark has a Valve feel to it to me.

DX11 is industry-standard. PhysX is not. AFAIK, accordingly, many more games support DX11 than support PhysX. Seriously, based on the news lately, I would be less than inclined to put something like that on my box (first of all, because it is simply outclassed by many other similar programs.) Certain programs can be malware vectors--and this type of program coming out of China seems a perfect candidate.

DX11 is industry-standard. PhysX is not. AFAIK, accordingly, many more games support DX11 than support PhysX. Seriously, based on the news lately, I would be less than inclined to put something like that on my box (first of all, because it is simply outclassed by many other similar programs.) Certain programs can be malware vectors--and this type of program coming out of China seems a perfect candidate.

Do you really think Nvidia is going to be promoting a malware program? The first post of this thread links you to geforce. com which is the first link on http://www.nvidia.com/page/home.html under Communities. I found the images where you can drag the slider to directly compare tessellation and HBAO really interesting.

Tessellation is really poorly optimized in this benchmark, dropping my FPS 75% on my 6950 in the section after you go through the iron gates. I'd like to know if other AMD 5000 and 6000 users are seeing this dramatic drop in frames in that section where the tessellation kicks in. You'll see your on screen FPS display tank immediately as soon as you hit that section.
I tried forcing the tessellation to 16x in the Catalyst control panel and it only slows down to 30 FPS for a few seconds with it averaging about 50 FPS in the slow area.
With 8x tessellation it stays at 60 FPS in the same area. I think 8x tessellation doesn't look so over done as the default.

The benchmark results can be really misleading, it shows my average FPS around 50 FPS in DX11 which should be very playable. Twenty seconds of the benchmark is around 15 FPS which would be totally unplayable in a game.

Last edited:
Big X on top right of screen isn't there? Cant run it atm to verify though.

You only get that at the end of the benchmark. I don't see an exit option at the main menu or after the benchmark starts. Alt tabbing out and a manual close works fine.

Back